Options

Stargate Universe | (US PACE) | 2nd October | No Spoilers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd season is a massive improvement on 1st still not in SG1 or atlantis league tho
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It actually had some very nice moments, shame the beastie in the woods plot has been done to death.
  • Options
    Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Just realised this is back and catching up after the break.

Rumours of a third season on cable channel STARZ, which probably wouldn't be a good idea as they'd have to cull the budget and they've hardly got a storyline to fall back on right now.

Anyway, catch up time, hope it's worth it.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still, if it was on STARZ maybe we'd get to see Lt. James topless ;):o
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing this on Starz, it may end up with a smaller budget and a lot more green screen, but they tend to make good programming on the channel.
  • Options
    jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Still, if it was on STARZ maybe we'd get to see Lt. James topless ;):o

Big incentive to hope that Starz picks up SGU 3.0 :D (which most likely won't happen imo)

Edit: Is it just me who finds saying SGU Season 2 odd? SGU 2.0 just rolls off the tongue :P
  • Options
    FoonachaFoonacha Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SGU Producer Brad Wright announced at a convention in the US this weekend that there is *NO* chance of any SGU Movie or Season 3 anywhere as all rights to the show are now back with MGM. & They have no plans to continue with any further TV Movies of any Stargate Brand. So no more SG1, SGA or SGU. Unless you count the inevitable Book formats to come.
    Sad news...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Sad end to a fantastic franchise. Doubtless many fans will be left very cheated by the lack of a resolution to SGU, and even more so about the change of heart over the Atlantis movie, which was originally part of the deal to do Universe in the first place. End of an era.

Of course, given the nature of a 'franchise', it will surely pop up again at some point.

Big screen movies perhaps, a la Star Trek? Maybe not for a good few years but might be the best route.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foonacha wrote: »
    SGU Producer Brad Wright announced at a convention in the US this weekend that there is *NO* chance of any SGU Movie or Season 3 anywhere as all rights to the show are now back with MGM. & They have no plans to continue with any further TV Movies of any Stargate Brand. So no more SG1, SGA or SGU. Unless you count the inevitable Book formats to come.
    Sad news...

Damn :(

I thought they were hopeful recently of being able to make some sort of TV/DVD movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Story on Wright's sad news:

"SGU continuation, other movies dead — for now"
    GateWorld wrote:
    Don’t expect to see Stargate Universe — or any other part of the franchise — come blazing back on television or DVD. At least not in the near future.

Stargate writer, executive producer and mastermind Brad Wright took the stage earlier today at Creation Entertainment’s Official Stargate Convention in Vancouver, British Columbia and proceeded to update and clear the air on the fate of the latest series, Stargate Universe.

“We just recently found out that the SGU movie is not going to happen,” Wright said during his stage panel today. “It took too long. We just couldn’t get it together in time, and the window has closed. It’s actually sad for me, because after 17 years, I’m cleaning out my desk tomorrow morning.”

(snip)

Wright also confirmed that the proposed Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis movies have been permanently shelved, along with another movie idea he had been trying to get a greenlight on, which would have combined and involved cast members of all three series. Scripts for the first two of those projects, tentatively titled Stargate: Revolution and Stargate: Extinction (respectively), were completed well over a year ago.

(snip)

Damn :(

I'm now at mid-season 7 of SG-1 on my Stargate run-through. Going to be re-watching SGA in parallel soon.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all knew it was coming, and we all knew it would take Stargate: Revolution and Stargate: Extinction down with it. Naysayers, hang your heads in shame.

I'm sure that such as the likes of Star Trek and Doctor Who, the title 'Stargate' will be back one day in some form. Even if it's just for the final two parts of the original trilogy :p:cool:
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Well, that was almost like watching an earlier season of SG1. Loved this weeks.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Well, that was almost like watching an earlier season of SG1. Loved this weeks.

I thought it was like watching an episode of Deep Space Nine.
  • Options
    jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing episodes like this really annoy me that SGU was cancelled :(
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree. Love the development in last nights ep.
    I'm gonna miss sgu when its gone.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jayzee786 wrote: »
    Amazing episodes like this really annoy me that SGU was cancelled :(

It's a shame that shows have to be cancelled before they start making good episodes.

Too many series get too comfortable and think they can make OK episodes rather than treating each one as special.

It is bad enough when they make bottle episodes that don't have too many special effects just to save money, let alone make bland episodes because they have got too comfortable and apathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I was really expecting this week's episode to be a dud (not sure why) but actually it was one of the best so far, if not the best. Fast paced, and with a brilliant and (as far as I can remember) highly original plot.

Bring on next weeks.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It is bad enough when they make bottle episodes that don't have too many special effects just to save money, let alone make bland episodes because they have got too comfortable and apathetic.

This is common in TV and has been for some time. Basically the budget is set for a season - not an episode. That allows you have a big episode, but at the expense of one of your other episodes - it is not just to avoid spending money.

Stargate SG1 has often been very clever at this kind of thing 'Inauguration' was a clever recap episode - but is allowed considerable money to be spent on Lost City.
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Latest ep (18) would have made a great series finale, and certainly fitting for a good "end" to "the mission". Everyone having kids, except for cranky Brody. And wrinkly Camille at the end, lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So frustrating now the show is absolutely fantastic, that was better than a lot of other shows current offerings.
    It was heartwarming to see how the alternate crew lived out their lives, It makes Dr Rush seem more of an outsider than ever. I'm sure he is up to something.

I just wish that the first half of the first series hadn't been so slow, and I wish that Atlantis fan's weren't the type to hold a grudge.

Damn shame Because SGU has turned into a very good sci fi show, and a worthy succesor to the stargate franchise, despite what the fairweather fan's say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another really good ep :)

Shame it's coming to an end :(
    Latest ep (18) would have made a great series finale, and certainly fitting for a good "end" to "the mission". Everyone having kids, except for cranky Brody. And wrinkly Camille at the end, lol

I loved that Brody bit, moaning about kids, and how things were different back in his day :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    and I wish that Atlantis fan's weren't the type to hold a grudge.

What do you mean?

I haven't seen SGU yet but what did the Atlantis fans do that made SGU slow at the start, as it seems that it was the slow start that did for SGU not anything the Atlantis fans did or said.

I thought the last series of Atlantis was not very good and was ruined by whats her name getting pregnant in S4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do you mean?

I haven't seen SGU yet but what did the Atlantis fans do that made SGU slow at the start, as it seems that it was the slow start that did for SGU not anything the Atlantis fans did or said.

I thought the last series of Atlantis was not very good and was ruined by whats her name getting pregnant in S4.

The Atlantis fans held a big grudge against sgu before it even aired because Atlantis was axed to make way for it. If Atlantis wasn't axed then sgu would have done a lot better in ratings as they would have given the show a fair chance.

They forget that Atlantis got a huge boost at the start by running alongside sg1 on a Friday night, also BSG was on the same evenings bill. Glorious "sci-fi Friday".

SGU was out in the cold and messed around on the schedule, stuck next to the also ailing caprica sometimes or stuck between old eps of star trek next gen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crikey, according to gateworld this week viewing figures for sgu were significantly higher, paired with "sanctuary" on the Friday night schedule it did very well. Up 27% in viewership.

Interesting that Sanctuary got only 39% of the viewers it had on Friday night now it has moved to Monday nights. Just goes to show that Geeks love the Friday night slot and putting new eps of any sci fi show on any other night is a death sentence.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/04/epilogue-ratings-show-improvement-for-sgu-but-sanctuary-suffers/
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geeks love the Friday night slot
    Because they have nothing else to do on Friday nights?:D