Did you find school to be a stressful experience...

allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
Forum Member
...when you were younger?

Comments

• Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope :/
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Mostly because of bullying which badly affected my confidence. I had a spell of 4 weeks of school once because I literally couldn't face it.

Now I wish I was back there. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Not at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    Of yes, like you wouldn't believe.

But not when I was a kid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Primary school yes, secondary school no.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I was bullied pretty much intensively throughout my time at secondary school. If it were possible to go back and relieve a moment, those 5 years wouldn't be it. Worse years of my life, I wish my parents had chosen a better school- although that in itself is not a guarantee that what happend to me wouldn't have happend anyways.

10 years have since past and the memories are still as fresh today as they were then. Horrible. I believe that my depression started then and I haven't gotten rid of it. But now I'm happily married with a great job. So things do get better. But when you are in the eye of the storm, time just drags on.

Primary school was fun though.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did find it stressful. Saying that, I would love to go back to college and re-do my 'A' Levels.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even slightly...

Surrounded by girls my own age it was like I had discovered the promised land :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...when you were younger?

one million per cent.

Hated it beyond reason, because it separated me from my sister, cousin, mother, family and home, plus all the being treated inpersonally as one in a crowd, with no individual consideration or attention. Plus - I could go on - just how the other children were. I had nothing in common with them. The teachers were horrible and always worrying me with things they said. It was just stupendous, never-ending negativity.

I was ill so much growing up and my perception at the time was, my unhappiness at school was causing it, and I'm sure it was true. I had lots of absences and any day I managed to get in, I was usually mostly in the sickroom. I loved studying - it was just the social aspect and the separation from home and family. Everything I learnt, I learnt outside of school.

From childhood, I always swore if I had children I'd home educate them.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    At times yes. I had pretty bad attendance at one point, I was off at least one day each week. No real reason for it tbh.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    , I wish my parents had chosen a better school- although that in itself is not a guarantee that what happend to me wouldn't have happend anyways.

Primary school was fun though.

My parents did the opposite, chose the best academic school in the area but when i was bullied throughout the whole time they wouldnt let me leave to go to the school my friends were at.

So yeah school was very stressful for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I dogged just about ever maths period on a thursday in 2010.

I'll be gone when my exams are done, I just need to get myself sorted for them and hopefully pass them all.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Dolls wrote: »
    I was ill so much growing up and my perception at the time was, my unhappiness at school was causing it...

Maybe the fact I couldn't eat before I go to school, had to go to toilet several times and had a sometimes nervy feeling is due to the stressful social aspect of things. I had no appetite in the mornings during school weeks, but over weekends, my appetite returned. If I was on my own with no one in the classroom, it would be great. If my 'friends' weren't there, that would be great as well. Primary school wasn't much better really - it was probably worse than it is now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but then I rarely turned up. Registration, out the back, under the fence and down town to the coffee shop...that was pretty much my school experience.

I still managed to get 6 "O" levels all grade B and above - go figure!
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    Primary school No, I generally liked the Primary I went too, Life was alot simpler for me back then..I had nice teachers, great friends..

But Secondary was a different story, I only ever liked Food Ecomonics and ICT, the only subjects I felt I was ever any good at;
    I was mentally bullied by a girl who was supposed to be my friend my entire 5 year run at Secondary School, she made me feel like I was useless, and shook my confidence to the point I was nothing more than a mute in the corner who only spoke, when spoken too.
    She never physically hurt me, but It was the things she said, and How she made me feel what damaged me, and Still does to a degree..
    And It wasn't just her that bullied me, It was others, the popular girls/boys who I was basically a fodder for some of their jokes..

Some of the teachers werent much better to me either; My RE teacher told everyone in the class while I was stood there infront of her/and them, That I'd fail my GCSE exam and She was a bitchy woman too..I proved her wrong with my C..
    Oh and my Last Maths teacher at Secondary school was a bit of a prat too, He'd let others to go the toliet but If I asked, he'd say No, I sometimes walked out and went anyway, He'd write snarky comments in my Maths book, basically implying I was Thick at Math, I still have them Books an all. If he'd bothered to help me, instead of knocking us down, I might have done better at my GCSE, my Maths teacher at college has helped me realize I'm not as bad at maths as I thought..
    So sometimes, I like to pretend I skipped my life between 11-16 and I never went to that Secondary School..

I love the College I go to now though, Teachers are supportive even when I have issues, I did have something happen to me at college last year and they were really helpful and were there for me, I have great friends who I have a laugh with too, I'm finishing level one of computing in June, and Start level 2 in September. =)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hated every minute of High School. Couldn't wait to run like the wind to get out of the place at home time. Not sure it was stress though. Not at 14,15,16.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated my secondary school - not sure it was stress though, more like misery. Even after all these years I still feel a bit sick on Sunday evenings though I don't even go out to work now - I work for myself, at home.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so far. Still have A-levels to do over the next two years and two months of GCSEs starting in a few weeks though.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    I hated my secondary school - not sure it was stress though, more like misery. Even after all these years I still feel a bit sick on Sunday evenings though I don't even go out to work now - I work for myself, at home.

Same. Hate Sunday nights and that sense of dread. I'm even stressed and nervous thinking about it.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too bored to be stressed by it. I was the one sat at the back gazing out of the window and sighing heavily. Wish I'd put more effort into it looking back.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I liked my school, I just didn't like some of the people.

I found sixth form more stressful (but that was through my own doing, I went completley off the rails the second year and ended up having to put a lot of work in at very short notice to ensure I got to University, which thankfully I did)
  • AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    school was annoying and boring and I really disliked it

university was incredibly stressful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved every single minute of the seven years I spent at Primary School. As another poster said about their own experiences, I had great teachers, even greater friends, and generally, everything that happened to me has left me with great memories. Sadly, I can't say the same about Secondary School. I hated it from the very first day...and things just went downhill from there. I had zero confidence which didn't help matters, but the teachers didn't seem to give a damn, all my primary school friends were in different classes and the kids I was with generally hung around with their own friends. Believe me, no one was happier than I was when I finally left school!
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High school very much, that for a period of about 6 months I use to have about 4 nose bleeds a week. You couldn't pay me to go back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    If you call five years of unprovoked continuous psychological mind-f*ck stressful...

Then yes.