Alesha Dixon racism in showbiz

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »
    ‘When I joined the Strictly Come Dancing panel in 2009, the controller of the BBC came into my dressing room and said they were proud to have a woman of colour on their panel.'

How incredibly patronizing.
    They may as well have patted her on her head and told her "Well done for being mixed race".

Whenever anybody suggests that the BBC have an 'agenda' where they fill quotients in order to tick politically correct boxes they are shouted down as speaking utter nonsense.

I think Alesha Dixon is talented and has worked hard. I wonder how she feels about being more or less told that her success on television is to some extent dependent on the colour of her skin.
    It's so embarrassing because it feels like the person who told her that they were proud that she ticks a box for them has no clue about people, let alone 'people of colour'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of idiot doesn't buy a magazine because of the race of the person on the front cover?

That has been the belief held within the industry for decades.
    It was only relatively recently in the 70s that black or mixed race models started to get more covers. I may be wrong but I think it was Iman who was the black model which made an impact in changing attitudes.

Magazine sales my shed some light on whether the myth that black female models on magazine covers sell less magazines than magazines with white models on the cover.

I don't think that it's a case of anybody being an idiot, but more of an unconscious thought process where people may have more affinity with people who look like themselves.
    I wonder if conversely in countries with a predominantly black population white models on their magazine covers sell less magazines. There may be truth to this theory, or it may be financial racism on part of the people who control the media, or perhaps a bit of both?
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    That has been the belief held within the industry for decades.
    It was only relatively recently in the 70s that black or mixed race models started to get more covers. I may be wrong but I think it was Iman who was the black model which made an impact in changing attitudes.

Magazine sales my shed some light on whether the myth that black female models on magazine covers sell less magazines than magazines with white models on the cover.

I don't think that it's a case of anybody being an idiot, but more of an unconscious thought process where people may have more affinity with people who look like themselves.
    I wonder if conversely in countries with a predominantly black population white models on their magazine covers sell less magazines. There may be truth to this theory, or it may be financial racism on part of the people who control the media, or perhaps a bit of both?

It varies on the person I think. Not the race. I swear Adele sold the least copies of Vogue (or some mag she was on last year/2011).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    It varies on the person I think. Not the race. I swear Adele sold the least copies of Vogue (or some mag she was on last year/2011).

I'd like to think that you're right. Because I often wonder if it's a baseless excuse often used by those in the media who hold their own prejudices based on what they like, not what the public necessarily like or not.
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think that you're right. Because I often wonder if it's a baseless excuse often used by those in the media who hold their own prejudices based on what they like, not what the public necessarily like or not.

It's quite that way sadly. It's horrible to see. It's their way of maintaining their status quo, I think because they're scared of what would happen if the business model changed. They think it'll lose them sales. But diversity is actually great for business. You attract wide sales and can even be so diverse your competitors would struggle to touch you because it would look like they're copying you. Alas...I wish it were so :cry:
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Shirley Bassey ended up being a Dame. AD is hardly at the forefront.

Class v Trash :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I saw this article and couldn't believe the disbelief of some people - it's blatantly evident when black actors like Idris Elba, the black Bond girl from this years bond (sorry I don't know her name I just watched the interview) and many others have to leave Britain for work.

To be fair our tv's represent Britain because we are still the minority - hence the term ethnic minority, so I don't mind being underepresented.

I do believe that there is more racism in British show business compared to other nations but it's because of how used to seeing white people we are - just look at how trevor macdonald is revered, for doing something so simple.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghettodemi wrote: »
    I saw this article and couldn't believe the disbelief of some people - it's blatantly evident when black actors like Idris Elba, the black Bond girl from this years bond (sorry I don't know her name I just watched the interview) and many others have to leave Britain for work.

To be fair our tv's represent Britain because we are still the minority - hence the term ethnic minority, so I don't mind being underepresented.

I do believe that there is more racism in British show business compared to other nations but it's because of how used to seeing white people we are - just look at how trevor macdonald is revered, for doing something so simple.

Sadly, my friend, you are misinformed.

Such quality actors from our small island are getting good work in the states simply due to the economic climate. Our actors are a tenth, if not more, the price of Hollywood big boys and will evidently give just as good, if no better, a performance.

This is fact. Nothing to do with racism.
    Forum Member
    Sadly, my friend, you are misinformed.

Such quality actors from our small island are getting good work in the states simply due to the economic climate. Our actors are a tenth, if not more, the price of Hollywood big boys and will evidently give just as good, if no better, a performance.

This is fact. Nothing to do with racism.

Nope! I was actually looking for the article just now. He said when he first started acting the only roles he'd get here were rubbish ones where he was either a criminal or in extreme poverty. He said in Britain the idea of a successful black person (without him being a drug baron) is very rare - whereas in America you have shows like fresh prince, the Cosby show, etc so its the norm there.

Sure money is a good factor - but can you honestly name me a black character who has morals, money and no criminal history. I honestly can't but like I said we're an ethnic minority, we only account for 2% of the whole British population.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope! I was actually looking for the article just now. He said when he first started acting the only roles he'd get here were rubbish ones where he was either a criminal or in extreme poverty. He said in Britain the idea of a successful black person (without him being a drug baron) is very rare - whereas in America you have shows like fresh prince, the Cosby show, etc so its the norm there.

Sure money is a good factor - but can you honestly name me a black character who has morals, money and no criminal history. I honestly can't but like I said we're an ethnic minority, we only account for 2% of the whole British population.

I can quite honestly believe, when he was starting out that all he got was rubbish roles.

Fact is, the reason you see Idris, Rafe Spall, Steven Merchant etc in big Hollywood films at the moment is because they're lauded over here (quite rightly so) and don't demand such a massive paycheque over there.

It's just business.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with her to an extent, you only need to look at how Eastenders works, they seem to have some kind of ethnic minority quota because as soon as an ethnic character leaves, they appear to be replaced by another ethnic character
    Forum Member
    I can quite honestly believe, when he was starting out that all he got was rubbish roles.

Fact is, the reason you see Idris, Rafe Spall, Steven Merchant etc in big Hollywood films at the moment is because they're lauded over here (quite rightly so) and don't demand such a massive paycheque over there.

It's just business.

Yet he's a better actor than Daniel Radcliffe/Keira Knightley (who i like but sje serves her purpose here) who hit the jackpot immediately in comparison. There is racism you can't deny it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    I agree with her to an extent, you only need to look at how Eastenders works, they seem to have some kind of ethnic minority quota because as soon as an ethnic character leaves, they appear to be replaced by another ethnic character

Someone made the point a few years back that you do get black actors in roles they wouldn't have got before. But not to the extent where in Eastenders you'd get the black equivalent of Grant and Phil Mitchell who might be in charge of the Queen Vic and get lots of leading headline stories.

But I think it's improved since then. I think it's more common now to get non-white families in soaps where the stories aren't mainly based around their ethnicity.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    Yet he's a better actor than Daniel Radcliffe/Keira Knightley (who i like but sje serves her purpose here) who hit the jackpot immediately in comparison. There is racism you can't deny it.

I don't think Luther could have played Harry Potter :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    I don't think Luther could have played Harry Potter :rolleyes:

That's not the point. I'm referring to the principle.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of white British actors leave the UK and get (better paid) work in America. Most of them are white. Some American actors/musicians are more successful and popular in the UK than over there. It just happens that way sometimes.

I'm not foolish enough to think there is no racism, but I'm also rational enough to know that a black British actor doing better in America than Britain proves nothing. Rupert Everett likes to think he'd be as successful as Hugh Grant if he were straight, but quite frankly, Hugh Grant was lucky to be as successful as he is, and he's still a better actor, and more crucially, better looking and a more likeable person than Everett. Hollywood definitely has issues with sexuality, but it's beyond presumptive for Everett to think he's somehow entitled to be a top movie star, simply because he's got the same plummy accent and is reasonably good looking. Colin Firth is a better actor than Hugh Grant, and he isn't as successful as Grant.

I like Alesha, but I think she's treading on thin ice if she wants to complain about racism. It may have been patronising for her to be told how nice it was to have a young black woman on prime time BBC tv, but at least she wasn't the older white woman being replaced so they could employ a young, black woman. I've also seen her on the cover of magazines, so while I don't doubt what she was told, it's not the whole story.

Some people who complain about representation also seem to forget that while London has a fairly high proportion of black people, but the UK as a whole doesn't. While we're at it. Some gay campaigners complain that soaps never portray happy gay couples, but no straight couple gets to stay happy for any length of time either.
    Forum Member
    No one has yet to name me an acting role played by a black person (full points of they are not mixed race) in Britain that doesn't have a criminal record, a criminal past, is not poor, is educated, is not evil, a single parent or a detestable member of society.

I can name you 3 white counterparts for every black role.

I'm not saying that racism is prevalent - but don't deny it's still there. Vogue was recently showing off because they had a Chinese model on the cover - and it wasn't vogue china. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the 2011 UK census, over 90% of the UK population described themselves as white. I thought you were suggesting black people were under-represented?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »

I think there's a bit of fiddling on with that photo at the top gone wrong. There's this whole bit of dull brown colour where the bottom of her skirt should be. That bit doesn't look right.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    My knee jerk initial thought when she mentioned the BBC person coming into her dressing room and making the comment about her being the first black person on the panel was, 'so was that the big motivating factor for hiring her as well as the fact that she was a winner' or 'was it just said as a coincidental consequence of her appointment' which I presume the latter was the case.

Hopefully the latter.

And one would hope that nonsense like that no longer exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has yet to name me an acting role played by a black person (full points of they are not mixed race) in Britain that doesn't have a criminal record, a criminal past, is not poor, is educated, is not evil, a single parent or a detestable member of society.

I'm not saying that racism is prevalent - but don't deny it's still there. Vogue was recently showing off because they had a Chinese model on the cover - and it wasn't vogue china. :eek:

Luther?

But come to think of it no other names are springing to mind right now. Surely there must be some others? Anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that I'm keeping track, but as Doctor Who is on tonight, I'm reminded that a previous companion, Martha was black. She was probably the most educated, intelligent and sensible of the recent companions. On the doctor theme, I'm fairly sure there have been a few black doctors and nurses in shows like Casualty and Holby City.

You need to avoid the normal soaps, because almost no-one in Eastenders is educated, and most characters get involved in something criminal sooner or later.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luther?

But come to think of it no other names are springing to mind right now. Surely there must be some others? Anyone?

There are lots. David Harewood, Colin Salmon, Adrian Lester, Chewetel Ejiofor, to mention a few, all excellent, all very successful on stage, small screen and big screen, in a variety of roles and certainly not the stereotypical ones referred to in ghettodemi's post.

But the thing is, even referring to them as black actors suggest that that's all they have to offer - their colour! Again, this is part of the problem, that they should be seen first and foremost as actors, and their colour should have no bearing on the nature of the roles they're invited to audition for/take on.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can name you 3 white counterparts for every black role

The RSC production of Julius Caesar which played successfully in the UK last year (and is available on DVD) is about to start its American tour. The entire cast is black, and includes Paterson Joseph as Brutus, Ray Fearon as Mark Anthony and Jeffery Kissoon as Caesar.

That was Vogue Italy, and Italy isn't exactly a racially diverse country. OTOH, the May edition of Vogue UK has Beyoncé on the cover.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She says she wasn't happy to be told black girls wouldn't sell magazines by being on the cover and, rightly, makes the point it should be about the person rather than their colour. But, why did she happily accept the BBC producers comment that it was good to have a black woman on the SCD panel? Surely she should have been just as offended and told him that they should be lucky to have her, for her, not for her race.