Options

DWTS: Season 18 General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »
    I do believe he will work something out. Stay tuned.

Hope so. It's short sighted move by ABC if they try and close him down :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »

Ummm was it just me or did that sound like Artem would pick DWTS over SCD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Ummm was it just me or did that sound like Artem would pick DWTS over SCD?

I think he just side-stepped the question. I've really no idea what he'd choose if offered a teaching pro role on both....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he just side-stepped the question. I've really no idea what he'd choose if offered a teaching pro role on both....

He did but his "this is my home and let them offer it first then we'll talk" makes me thinks he would jump ship which is a shame as he is one of my faves but no one is bigger than the show which was proved when 5 of my fav pros left in one series. But maybe it is just because he is in America and surrounded by dwts pros/fans he doesn't want to say no rather stay with SCD or maybe he still having visa issues or maybe he is keeping his options open. It was just the impression I got & maybe I'm reading to much into it. Though I would have thought that he would know by now if he is coming back to SCD as Ola & Aliona both said they have met with the producers already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the Strictly pros find out for sure until early to mid-June. I don't know what we can conclude about Ola's and Aliona's meetings tbh :confused: (Didn't Aliona tweet about having great meetings with the producers the year she injured her foot? She ended up in the Xmas show and was then fired! :p). I don't know if Artem and Kara are together or not, but, their relationship to one side, he hasn't been allowed to make the UK his permanent home by the visa authorities and without a specific contract here he has to leave, whereas he has a green card and can live in the US. (I think if he didn't he might even put his green card in jeopardy (??), and then where would he be?....Russia?! :o). If he and Kara are together, I imagine he'd choose SCD. If not, then I could see DwtS being a better option, (although not the better job) because he'd be able to capitalise on it outside the show (lessons, tours, whatever), in a way he isn't allowed to do here. I'd hate it if he left Strictly, so really hope all the stars align for him to stay.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the Strictly pros find out for sure until early to mid-June. I don't know what we can conclude about Ola's and Aliona's meetings tbh :confused: (Didn't Aliona tweet about having great meetings with the producers the year she injured her foot? She ended up in the Xmas show and was then fired! :p). I don't know if Artem and Kara are together or not, but, their relationship to one side, he hasn't been allowed to make the UK his permanent home by the visa authorities and without a specific contract here he has to leave, whereas he has a green card and can live in the US. (I think if he didn't he might even put his green card in jeopardy (??), and then where would he be?....Russia?! :o). If he and Kara are together, I imagine he'd choose SCD. If not, then I could see DwtS being a better option, (although not the better job) because he'd be able to capitalise on it outside the show (lessons, tours, whatever), in a way he isn't allowed to do here. I'd hate it if he left Strictly, so really hope all the stars align for him to stay.....

Have to admit I don't understand Artem's visa problems because Kristina, Aliona, Pasha, Anya, Iveta and Alijaz all worked and lived in USA and don't seem to have the same problems as Artem.

Artem stands out more on SCD than he would on dwts where he be playing catchup with with long standing pros for popularity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to admit I don't understand Artem's visa problems because Kristina, Aliona, Pasha, Anya, Iveta and Alijaz all worked and lived in USA and don't seem to have the same problems as Artem.

I can't say I do really, but I do know he isn't allowed to be here without a work contract. I don't think the US work situation and the UK one are directly related - there's a different set of hoops to jump through in each country. I don't know how Kristina and Pasha's circumstances differ from his, but they seem to work here without a sponsor :confused:. Maybe they have US citizenship now and that makes a difference?? I know Aliona has had to leave the country on day trips to France or Ireland to renew her visa, so maybe she's in the same situation as Artem? So far as I know Anya left as soon as Strictly finished and Iveta and Alijaz presumably have EU passports so there's no issue for them anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I do really, but I do know he isn't allowed to be here without a work contract. I don't think the US work situation and the UK one are directly related - there's a different set of hoops to jump through in each country. I don't know how Kristina and Pasha's circumstances differ from his, but they seem to work here without a sponsor :confused:. Maybe they have US citizenship now and that makes a difference?? I know Aliona has had to leave the country on day trips to France or Ireland to renew her visa, so maybe she's in the same situation as Artem? So far as I know Anya left as soon as Strictly finished and Iveta and Alijaz presumably have EU passports so there's no issue for them anyway.

Pasha & Kristina always seem to find work tho either tours or public events or something that keeps them busy when strictly isn't on. You are probably right that they either have citizenship or dual citizenship that would make it easier. I think Aliona now has dual citizenship I remember she mentioned something about it on twitter because as you said she was having similar problems to Artem & then sorted them out with the dual citizenship just before she got axed. Iveta lives in New York so either has dual citizenship, citizenship or has visa/green card to get back & forth to USA. Forgot that Alijaz probably used work visas when he works outside europe. Anya left because she is working on sytycd in Australia and she was a last minute addition so they probably got whatever was quickest whereas Artem has been on scd for 4 years and still having visa issues. (Although Anya might be in the same boat as Pasha because they were dance partners for so long & travelled the world together they probably did the same thing re visa/citizenship) I just find the whole thing confusing tbh

I think in Artem's ideal world he would have his cake and eat it too - to do SCD here & dwts in the spring I don't know how fans or producers would like that idea tho.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe I used to love this show so much :o and was having heated discussions about it at times :o:D
    I completely lost interest in it :blush:. Twop is closing. I just learned that Annie at EW who was doing those wonderful recaps got fired. I even tried to catch up to what has been happening this season BUT got so bored and disinterested :blush::blush:.

Anyways, I remember a few familiar names here and I just wanted to say that I enjoyed discussing this show with you guys in previous series :).

I'm STILL a hardcore SCD fan though ;-):) it's just DWTS that I cannot bear these days. I guess there comes a time when we outgrow certain things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    I can't believe I used to love this show so much :o and was having heated discussions about it at times :o:D
    I completely lost interest in it :blush:. Twop is closing. I just learned that Annie at EW who was doing those wonderful recaps got fired. I even tried to catch up to what has been happening this season BUT got so bored and disinterested :blush::blush:.

Anyways, I remember a few familiar names here and I just wanted to say that I enjoyed discussing this show with you guys in previous series :).

I'm STILL a hardcore SCD fan though ;-):) it's just DWTS that I cannot bear these days. I guess there comes a time when we outgrow certain things.

I understand how you are feeling. Always prefered scd but always enjoyed dwts as well. There are too much hybrid dances and not enough proper technique & actual ballroom. Too many changes for change sake & too much style over substance but still watch mainly cos I like some of the pros :-) They should have stuck with what made the show popular to begin with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member

I'm STILL a hardcore SCD fan though it's just DWTS that I cannot bear these days. I guess there comes a time when we outgrow certain things.

Hi edy

I've missed you.:(

I've been feeling much the same, the show is a former shell of itself now. I watch it, in the hope it will improve, but not really invested in it or any of the pairings really. Much prefer SCD now. I used to like DWTS for some of the differences to SCD ironically, now it has strayed too far off course. Part of the fun was coming on here as you say to discuss it, all I seem to do is moan and that's not good. I don't know how much longer I will last at watching it, not even remotely excited by it anymore.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member

Thankx Soupy for links, Tristan and Gleb in GS underwear range.;-)
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, I did not even watch last mondays episode. Just checked to see who gone.

Its just tacky I feel like. SCD has become the better show. Some other poster was spot on when they said the producers have turned it more into SYTYCD but with Celebs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Crumbs! Wonder who will be brave enough to take on the job?! Could be the best or the worst thing to happen to the show. Interesting times ahead. Eek!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 5 Dances - Disney Week
    Guest judge: that well known technician of the ballroom - Donny Osmond!

Charlie and Sharna – Jazz
    Danica and Val – Quickstep
    James and Peta – Contemporary (“Let it Go” by Idina Menzel, from Frozen )
    Drew and Cheryl – Quickstep
    Amy and Derek – Waltz
    Candace and Mark – Samba
    Meryl and Maks – Samba
    Cody and Witney – Samba
    NeNe And Tony – Foxtrot (Music: “Cruella De Vil” from 101 Dalmatians )
    (PureDwtS)

Hmmm. Going to be a cheese fest... ^_^

Finally ballroom for Amy and NeNe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi edy

I've missed you.:(

I've been feeling much the same, the show is a former shell of itself now. I watch it, in the hope it will improve, but not really invested in it or any of the pairings really. Much prefer SCD now. I used to like DWTS for some of the differences to SCD ironically, now it has strayed too far off course. Part of the fun was coming on here as you say to discuss it, all I seem to do is moan and that's not good. I don't know how much longer I will last at watching it, not even remotely excited by it anymore.:(

Awww I missed you too Karma :cry:. I feel like I haven't been here in ages (it has just been a few weeks lol ) :o:p and I totally agree with you; My sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Agree, I did not even watch last mondays episode. Just checked to see who gone.

Its just tacky I feel like. SCD has become the better show. Some other poster was spot on when they said the producers have turned it more into SYTYCD but with Celebs.
    I understand how you are feeling. Always prefered scd but always enjoyed dwts as well. There are too much hybrid dances and not enough proper technique & actual ballroom. Too many changes for change sake & too much style over substance but still watch mainly cos I like some of the pros :-) They should have stuck with what made the show popular to begin with.

Reasons why it doesnt even do anything for me anymore.

Anyways, I see that Artem is in the US. Does he thinks about switching up to Dwts or what :o:confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Arghhhhhh !!! Exciting :blush::blush: (I feel like he was responsible for a lot of these changes that turned off many hardcore fans of the show ) maybe there is still hope for this show after all :o:):)
  • Options
    fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DWTS continues to try and get itself cancelled. The "mix up" was terrible. Nearly as bad as some of the guest judges and new music set up.
    The only change that has worked is the new graphics for the scores. Erin over Brooke is 50/50 - she is the more competent but the show has lost that car crash element Brooke brought.

As for the latest dances, I thought Meryl's routine was too frantic and harsh. And I really don't enjoy her style at all.

Charlie/Peta both looked gross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, Charlie and Sharna are doing a jazz routine to Supercalifrigalistic along with umbrellas. They already did contemporary, which means this time couples can do both (bleurgh! >:(). Does this mean they can have jive and swing, tango and AT, waltz and VW??? Maks and Meryl are dancing samba to I wanna be like you from Jungle Book and Maks isn't happy about production pushing him into being a character he doesn't want to play who was a 10 year old boy in the film :p