Soundproofing a wall

2»

Comments

• Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    The man on the ground floor and yourself, have you turned off your consumer units and listened at the wall?

We have had to postpone this for a second night. We live near the coast, and there are exceptionally high winds out there at the moment, meaning there is a LOT of noise in the flat anyway, so our results would be inconclusive. I'll be back!
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    We have had to postpone this for a second night. We live near the coast, and there are exceptionally high winds out there at the moment, meaning there is a LOT of noise in the flat anyway, so our results would be inconclusive. I'll be back!
    Pah, now you're just teasing us :p:D
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Pah, now you're just teasing us :p:D
    This has me interested too, :D OP do you or any of the others living in one of the flats use a electric fan or a ceiling light fan?
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:) You are not under starter orders, Real er' the coast you write, no sea/wind turbines is there off shore?

You may have answered this, is it a continuing hum, pulsating?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    This has me interested too, :D OP do you or any of the others living in one of the flats use a electric fan or a ceiling light fan?

No, it's safe to say it's nothing like that. There was a period last summer when BOTH my neighbours were on holiday and I could still hear it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) You are not under starter orders, Real er' the coast you write, no sea/wind turbines is there off shore?

You may have answered this, is it a continuing hum, pulsating?

It's a continuing hum, pulsating, but there are no wind turbines anywhere near here.

It's bound to be to do with the electricity supply (highly likely, anyway). It's just a case of narrowing it down to what exactly. I'll get the guy on the ground floor to turn off his consumer box on a 'quieter' night, but I can see now we'll end up getting an electrician out either way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a continuing hum, pulsating, but there are no wind turbines anywhere near here.

It's bound to be to do with the electricity supply (highly likely, anyway). It's just a case of narrowing it down to what exactly. I'll get the guy on the ground floor to turn off his consumer box on a 'quieter' night, but I can see now we'll end up getting an electrician out either way.
    Hi Real,

No one can be sure for sure with a thread like this but I am hoping it is something as simple as an appliance, electrical as I originaly stated.

Was a little disapointed for you it didn't turn out to be the meters.

However something to bear in mind, bulidings can resonate, block walls can be notorious for this.

Keep at it, I'm sure it is an electrical cause in the first instance, it's a question of elimination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Real,

No one can be sure for sure with a thread like this but I am hoping it is something as simple as an appliance, electrical as I originaly stated.

Was a little disapointed for you it didn't turn out to be the meters.

However something to bear in mind, bulidings can resonate, block walls can be notorious for this.

Keep at it, I'm sure it is an electrical cause in the first instance, it's a question of elimination.

Thanks for all your support. I'll report back when I know more!
  • Options
    JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any electric pylons near the property.
    If you have storage heaters they do hum at night, and dueing the day when cooling down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennyuk wrote: »
    Are there any electric pylons near the property.
    If you have storage heaters they do hum at night, and dueing the day when cooling down.

There are no electric pylons near here.

Others may have storage heaters, but it's unlikely to be those as the noise is heard on and off all year round.

Last night was a very quiet night (apart from the loud wind outside) for some reason.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are near the Coast do you have any wind farms near by. When its very windy they feather them so that they do not get damaged. With the wind in dfferent directions may explain why you don't always hear it. Perhaps a local survey round your area. You will get to meet the neighbours and someone may know what it is. Think of what questions you want to ask and away you go. You could try the local pub but ask if they mind you talking to their customers first.

You can keep a note of the weather and wind direction and see if its anything to do with either.

Good luck
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Egg boxes are cheap, but they hurt to walk on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QFour wrote: »
    If you are near the Coast do you have any wind farms near by. When its very windy they feather them so that they do not get damaged. With the wind in dfferent directions may explain why you don't always hear it. Perhaps a local survey round your area. You will get to meet the neighbours and someone may know what it is. Think of what questions you want to ask and away you go. You could try the local pub but ask if they mind you talking to their customers first.

You can keep a note of the weather and wind direction and see if its anything to do with either.

Good luck

Thanks for this, but there are no wind farms near here. A problem with the domestic electricity supply is the most likely explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think we've cracked it!

To cut a very long story short, we had an electrician around here earlier. He got us to turn our consumer boxes off one by one. It turned out to be a ceiling fan in the bedroom of the man on the ground floor, where the cog or something inside had gone, something he was totally unaware of!

He says he installed it around six years ago when he moved into the property, but the problems began 18 months ago when something to do with the mechanism broke. Essentially, he needs a new one!

Thank you all so much for your support, especially Seacam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, realwales,

That's good news and thank you. :)

Ah! so there was, if not a farm, a wind machine near by that was the culprit.

Hopefuly that is the problem sorted, if not come back and some of us here will have another crack at it. :)
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Glad you sorted it, I did suggest the ceiling fan.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you sorted it, I did suggest the ceiling fan.:)

Thanks for it - I was only aware it even existed today!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Might I suggest the neighbour was a bit of a numpty for not spotting this from day one, as it is obviously something that is left running overnight, and that would create a pulsing, regular noise! Glad you sorted it anyway!