The Bloomberg TV Appreciation Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    First names are no big deal are they? Presumeably yours is Rob, mine is Stuart!

First names are a big deal if the poster is using a pseudonym and does not want their real name posting, You have made the choice to post your real name, did you give cnbcwatcher that choice when you posted her real name, I very much doubt it and I feel sure that cnbcwatcher is a very annoyed person right now, If I was in her shoes I would report you to admin and the mods, It's a dirty, filthy, low down trick, and you know it.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First names are a big deal if the poster is using a pseudonym and does not want their real name posting, You have made the choice to post your real name, did you give cnbcwatcher that choice when you posted her real name, I very much doubt it and I feel sure that cnbcwatcher is a very annoyed person right now, If I was in her shoes I would report you to admin and the mods, It's a dirty, filthy, low down trick, and you know it.
    Do you realize how rediculous you sound?:rolleyes:
  • am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Back to Bloomberg matters: I haven't been able to see the new shows. Are "First Look" and "Countdown" any good? How is Owen Thomas hosting alongside Linzie and Francine doing? Is there a new "Countdown" opening sequence or do they still use the time-lapse sequences from London?

Agreed!

Yes there is a new countdown opening sequence. First Look isn't all that different from Global connection. Owen Thomas seems to be doing all right. He does the first hour of Countdown with Linzie and the second hour with Francine. I'd say Francine is the best presenter of the three of them. Sadly Linzie just does news updates on 'The Big Picture' during the second hour. Caroline, Linda, Mark and Manus are there as usual with Markets updates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you realize how rediculous you sound?:rolleyes:

Not as "RIDICULOUS" as your spelling.
    End of conversation
    End of you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as "RIDICULOUS" as your spelling.
    End of conversation
    End of you
    Oh dear, you can dish it out but not take it. Just try leaving the matter to CNBCwatcher and me. O.K.?:(
    Forum Member
    There used to be few differences between the European shows. Does having two presenters host "Countdown" shake things up a bit?
    That's still the case. There are very few differences i notice between the shows from the London Studio's. 'The Pulse' looks much the same too. On The Move has more of a unique look to it. Wish they would sort out the camera work. During interviews all we get is close up head shots. The only show this doesn't happen on is 'Last Word' with Andrea Catherwood.
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading the CNBC appreciation thread for a while now. It's great to see that there is no bullying but a contructive approach to your "passion" coming from the others. That made me feel welcome to sign up.

Appreciation threads have special rules on this forum, which is why you won't see anything negative posted, let alone any bullying ... at least not about liking Bloomberg anyway (noting some of the posts in recent days).
    "Appreciation Threads
    Appreciation threads are designed to allow fans of a particular subject to engage in positive and lighthearted discussion of a subject. Negative posts in an appreciation thread are considered off-topic and will be removed. If you wish to discuss the subject of an appreciation thread you are welcome to post constructive negative comments in a separate thread."
    - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/announcement.php?f=108&a=319
  • rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did some work for them before xmas and i've gotta admit...considering they're way down he epg and probably don't get a loads of viewers they're a lovely bunch and they have very high production values. Also the way they implemented their existing digital data network to include video and sound to help start the network is a stroke of genius!

Hello MCR!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I see Bloomberg have online live streams on their website? Don't think it works on my Mac though :(
    Forum Member
    If you have Adobe Flash installed, it should work just fine. Steve Jobs wouldn't appreciate that, though.

I have Flash installed but I used C4 on demand once and the machine crashed and I had to restart. Do you use Windows or Mac?
    Forum Member
    I have a Windows computer. Flash does crash once in a while, but the latest version works like a charm for me. Bloomberg's old website (the black one), which used to be available for those who hated the white one until yesterday, used Windows Media to stream their content.

While you're in Germany, you can try out Zattoo. There is a stand-alone player available, so you don't have to torture your browser with Flash. You won't see the British commercial breaks, though. The pan-European feed fills a lot of time with Bloomberg-related stuff rather than real commercials.

I remember the old website, the Windows Media stream was terrible. I was looking at Zattoo and it works on Mac OSX but I'm careful what I install on it. What version of Windows do you use?
    Forum Member
    I have Windows 7 installed, but I guess that doesn't say anything. It also depends on how strong your computer is. I know someone who has a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, and the Flash player crashes all the time. Another one told me that Flash used to be unstable on his Vista PC, but version 10 of the Flash player works fine for him.

It's obvious that I'm not too familiar with Apple products, so there might be another reason. Have you tried another browser? Google Chrome comes with a built-in Flash Player, which comes in handy for a second chance for Bloomberg's livestream.

My dad uses Windows 7 as well and I think it works ok on his. Vista is a terrible OS though, one of my friends switched to Linux 'cause she hated it so much! I use Chrome as my main browser so it might be ok for watching Bloomberg :) BTW is it me or is DS/the internet in general kinda slow tonight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad uses Windows 7 as well and I think it works ok on his. Vista is a terrible OS though, one of my friends switched to Linux 'cause she hated it so much! I use Chrome as my main browser so it might be ok for watching Bloomberg :) BTW is it me or is DS/the internet in general kinda slow tonight?

very slow tonight
    Another topic, anyone watch Charlie Rose? I think his 'standard' of guests has gone downhill loads
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francine anchoring The Pulse today!
    Forum Member
    anyone watch Charlie Rose? I think his 'standard' of guests has gone downhill loads
    I've watched him now and again. But i tune over to CNBC when he's on now as most of his guests focus on the USA economy / politics.
    Forum Member
    Francine anchoring The Pulse today!
    I saw her. She also anchors 'Last Word' sometimes when Andrea is off and Maryam isn't there. Maryam usually covers for Andrea.
    Forum Member
    am1969 wrote: »
    I've watched him now and again. But i tune over to CNBC when he's on now as most of his guests focus on the USA economy / politics.

Which CNBC shows do you normally watch then?
    Forum Member
    It's funny to see how three different presenters deal with the same introduction. Mark Barton celebrates the very existence of the English language, while Rishaad Salamat is more of a down-to-earth guy tumbling over the words on the prompter first before playing it cool afterwards. And Andrea Catherwood? She has a pretty characteristic pronounciation as well. They all have at Bloomberg.

Let's listen to them talking about the celebrities and moguls at Cannes 2010...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8rSgdGSaM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy0wqxWTNg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fes8KgYUSSo
    Yes lots of different accents. Poppy Trowbridge has a most unusual accent. I think she grew up in Toronto. Sounds half British / half Canadian to me.
    Forum Member
    Which CNBC shows do you normally watch then?
    Sorry not familiar with the names of the shows yet.

Streetsigns. 7:00 PM - 8:00PM
    The show that is on at 8:00PM - 10PM
    Squawk Box Asia
    Squawk Box Europe

I got bored with Streetsmart on Bloomberg. So watch CNBC in the evenings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I was alluding to, he used to have a good mixture of guests, but now as you say they are all economy.
    Don't get me wrong I like a bit of economy, (economy starts at home :D) but it's nice to have some light relief too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloomberg only take the Charlie Rose Show because of the type of guests he has. If you want trivia you've got Leno on CNBC!
    Forum Member
    Sorry not familiar with the names of the shows yet.

Streetsigns. 7:00 PM - 8:00PM
    The show that is on at 8:00PM - 10PM
    Squawk Box Asia
    Squawk Box Europe

I got bored with Streetsmart on Bloomberg. So watch CNBC in the evenings.

The show that's on from 8-10pm is US Closing Bell. It was one of the first CNBC shows I watched :D Is Streetsmart on Bloomberg their equivalent of the Closing Bell? I remember a few years ago (2007) their equivalent was called The Final Word and I watched it one night. Mum said she couldn't tell the difference between the two as she was listening in the kitchen and not watching! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloomberg only take the Charlie Rose Show because of the type of guests he has. If you want trivia you've got Leno on CNBC!

"Don't get me wrong I like a bit of economy, (economy starts at home ) but it's nice to have some light relief too"

Read my post properly :yawn:

Like I was saying, Charlie Rose's show used to be a good mix of economy and 'trivia' as epsom calls it, Bloomberg used to take it.then too :yawn:
    Forum Member
    Thankfully i don't have to suffer that drivel as Bloomberg West goes out on Bloomberg at the same time.
    Forum Member
    The show that's on from 8-10pm is US Closing Bell. It was one of the first CNBC shows I watched :D Is Streetsmart on Bloomberg their equivalent of the Closing Bell? I remember a few years ago (2007) their equivalent was called The Final Word and I watched it one night. Mum said she couldn't tell the difference between the two as she was listening in the kitchen and not watching! :p
    Ah yes, Closing Bell. That's what it's called! Yes, Streetsmart is the Bloomberg equivalent of Closing Bell. Maybe it's just me. But i've noticed that Closing Bell cover more interesting topics than Streetsmart.

Don't know of 'The Final Word' as i started watching Bloomberg / CNBC in Dec 2009.