Hong Kong Phooey the live action Movie.

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
I was horrified to read earlier that the classic cartoon Hong Kong Phooey, is set to be made into a live action movie with Eddie Murphy providing the voice of the main character. :mad:

Piracy isn't destroying Hollywood, Hollywood is destroying Hollywood, with these lame remakes of classic shows.

Comments

• Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, good, God!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I was horrified to read earlier that the classic cartoon Hong Kong Phooey, is set to be made into a live action movie with Eddie Murphy providing the voice of the main character. :mad:

Piracy isn't destroying Hollywood, Hollywood is destroying Hollywood, with these lame remakes of classic shows.

Noooo...please say this isn't so, whatever next live action Top Cat??? Hollywood seems to be going backwards at the moment as you say it's lame remake after lame remake!! :mad:
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooo...please say this isn't so, whatever next live action Top Cat??? Hollywood seems to be going backwards at the moment as you say it's lame remake after lame remake!! :mad:

Afraid so :(

http://screenrant.com/eddie-murphy-hong-kong-phooey-robf-127702/
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollywood needs an original idea...another movie of a kids cartoon!!
    I used to like hong kong phooey..but i think it was just mainly because of the theme tune.
    Dont think much of the casting of eddie murphy as well...would have preferred Samuel L Jackson
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they did Pinky and the Brain i would go medieval on their asses.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *facepalms for the rest of my life*
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Hollywood's ideas atrophy aside - classic cartoon?

Oh, dear Lord, get a grip. I detest nostalgia culture sentimentalism and the way it elevates dreck to a status it doesn't deserve.

You end up sounding like that fat f*ck Harry Knowles for f*ck's sake.

/rant over.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Well said Johnny. As far as I am concerned, the only cartoons I think of as classic are Tom and Jerry, the Jetsons and the Flintstones. Then again personal preference can cloud ones judgement.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally i think it would be a fun movie

would like to see BRAVESTARR made into live action
    also BATTLE OF THE PLANETS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    As long as they don't touch Bagpuss or the Clangers....
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I don't mind, I like all of the iconic cartoon character movies. Most of these cartoon characters have had updates in the form of new television series and animated feature films anyway. Reintroducing these amusing characters to a new generation of pre-teens isn't a bad thing imo.

I guess Time Warner owns Hanna-Barbera and is cashing in on its childrens brands. The Smurfs, Yogi Bear and Scooby Doo have been given the big screen treatment; Flintstones was done in the 90's. A new Jetsons movie has been planned for quite a while, Tom and Jerry is coming, and Johnny Bravo has been discussed for nearly a decade.

Still, I thought Top Cat or Dick Dasterdly & Mutley would have been produced before Hong Kong Phooey.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Well said Johnny. As far as I am concerned, the only cartoons I think of as classic are Tom and Jerry, the Jetsons and the Flintstones. Then again personal preference can cloud ones judgement.

They certainly do, as the Jetsons was mostly crap.

Some of the Warner Brothers cartooons elevated the medium, as did some of Tex Avery's work at MGM.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The things I remember most about Hong Kong Phooey were theme tune and Rosemary (the telephone operator)'s disturbingly short skirt. :)
    Not a classic IMO - The Flintstones, Top Cat, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies are classics :D
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    personally i think it would be a fun movie

would like to see BRAVESTARR made into live action
    also BATTLE OF THE PLANETS

The idea of a Battle of the Planets movie has been kicking around Hollywood for a number of years. But no one seems to know what to do with it regards making it live action, live actions/CGI mix or all CGI.

I read a rumour some years ago that John Woo was interested, but nothing happened, and he's since vanished from the film scene.

As for Hong Kong Phooey. . leave a classic well alone. That said, Yogi Bear did very well at the box office. Not that that's an indicator of a good film, although I'll admit to enjoying it for what it was.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a Gatchaman movie in the works which is the original version of Battle Of The Planets, but it won't be getting released now, which is a shame as it looked amazing.

Teaser Trailer 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM5Npl3Dx5o

Teaser Trailer 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBP2WI6H6-Y&feature=related

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/06/imagis-gatchaman-is-dead.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The things I remember most about Hong Kong Phooey were theme tune and Rosemary (the telephone operator)'s disturbingly short skirt. :)
    Not a classic IMO - The Flintstones, Top Cat, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies are classics :D

Funny, me too (but not the short skirt). I also remember the little robot (7-Zark-7) in G Force / Battle of the Planets and the ridiculously sexy female voice (Susan) at the end of the microphone. I think they'd have to get Paul Gambaccini to voice the 7-Zark-7. Not sure who would voice Susan.

Serious cost-cutting exercise. No need to remake classics.

A while ago (when there was news of Tom&Jerry being edited for political correctness) I made sure I went on Amazon and bought every favourite tv show of my 70s childhood. Luckily I have these on DVD and so never have to tarnish my perfect view of childhood tv by watching silly, unfunny remakes.