Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho

MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a lifetime Hitchcock fan/geek i'm really looking forward to the adaptation of the factual book by Stephen Rebello.
The cast sounds top-notch and this photo of Anthony Hopkins as Hitch is amazing:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a377270/first-look-anthony-hopkins-as-alfred-hitchcock-picture.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    As a lifetime Hitchcock fan/geek i'm really looking forward to the adaptation of the factual book by Stephen Rebello.
    The cast sounds top-notch and this photo of Anthony Hopkins as Hitch is amazing:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a377270/first-look-anthony-hopkins-as-alfred-hitchcock-picture.html

It's a superb book, and as a Hitchcock nut I can't wait for this either. I read a great little article about Psycho (I think it was in an old copy of Films and Filming magazine). Apparently Hitchcock called Psycho his "little joke" without actually referring to what that meant. The article suggested that the joke might be that although the film is set in the days running up to Christmas (I think the timescale from the on-sceen date is about 10th-18th December), Christmas is never referred to once in the movie - you never see a Christmas tree or any reference to the festive season throughout. If this is what Hitch meant, Psycho really is one of the bleakest Christmas movies ever made.
  • McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Hitchcock and am really excited for this, I bet it won't be out for ages though :( Isn't there another Hitchcock movie coming out this year though? One with Sienna Miller which also looked good.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RayRidley wrote: »
    It's a superb book, and as a Hitchcock nut I can't wait for this either. I read a great little article about Psycho (I think it was in an old copy of Films and Filming magazine). Apparently Hitchcock called Psycho his "little joke" without actually referring to what that meant. The article suggested that the joke might be that although the film is set in the days running up to Christmas (I think the timescale from the on-sceen date is about 10th-18th December), Christmas is never referred to once in the movie - you never see a Christmas tree or any reference to the festive season throughout. If this is what Hitch meant, Psycho really is one of the bleakest Christmas movies ever made.

It is a brilliant book.
    Funnily enough i always used to think how sad it was that Marion was murdered before Christmas :cry:

The other Hitchcock film is a tv film (BBC i think) with Toby Jones and Sienna Miller. I believe that's based around his penchant for leading ladies - mostly blondes.

I'm sure it will be good but it's the Psycho aspect that draws me to the Hopkins film.

The casting of ex-Karate Kid Ralph Macchio as screenwriter Joseph Stefano is very intriguing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few photos issued for this film:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35434

Looks good, shame UK audiences get it 3 months after the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really excited about this film love the trailer and the paramount film set that's been designed for the movie!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this and 'The Girl' :)
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to this, always been fascinated by Hitch and pyscho.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    A few photos issued for this film:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35434

Looks good, shame UK audiences get it 3 months after the US.

more commercial suicide, film companied bleat on about piracy killing the industry, then do sill things like this.

Some films are coming out 9 months later!!! here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    more commercial suicide, film companied bleat on about piracy killing the industry, then do sill things like this.

Some films are coming out 9 months later!!! here.

But this is unlikely to be on Blu/DVD in the US before its cinema release in the UK so there won't be that much of a piracy issue.

Anyways, not everyone illegaly downloads stuff.
    I for one will be waiting to see this on the big screen.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just after seeing the trailer. Hopkins and Mirren are electric on screen. Just a shame that we have to wait til February for this.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Going by the trailer Hopkins hasn't got the voice right at all, which I thought he would have nailed- he does not look like the great man either.