Alex rude on tonights One Show?

MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did i imagine it or did Alex Jones completely cut off the female guest mid-sentence and just go straight back to Jamie Oliver?

The lady was explaining how she started making dolls house things and Alex said something like "Now Jamie, let's play a game" and the woman slowly stopped talking in a sort of awkward slow motion.

Comments

• Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I noticed that, and the guest looked a bit miffed.
    :D
    I don't think Alex did it on purpose though TBH
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Did i imagine it or did Alex Jones completely cut off the female guest mid-sentence and just go straight back to Jamie Oliver?

The lady was explaining how she started making dolls house things and Alex said something like "Now Jamie, let's play a game" and the woman slowly stopped talking in a sort of awkward slow motion.

Yes I saw that and said to OH that was so rude - she cut off that lady while she was talking. Alex Jones never seems to actually listen to the guests and seems to have no interaction with the guests or knowledge of the subjects being discussed.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    Yes I noticed that, and the guest looked a bit miffed.
    :D
    I don't think Alex did it on purpose though TBH

How could she do it by accident?

She may have had the message in her earpiece to move on, but surely she could've done it better than that.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what overhyped idiots do, think they are too good to have manners. Not surprsing in the slightest.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great show with Jamie. So sorry, I genuinely couldn't hear a word that lovely lady carol said at the end due to some shouting in our ears.
    Thanks for all your nice tweets. Feel so bad about carol! I would never be purposely impolite to a guest. Hope you all have a nice evening x

Alex tweeted this about an hour ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex has a habit of doing that. When she was on Strictly, she showed that she is actually a nice person. I still think she's a pretty crap presenter though.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Great show with Jamie. So sorry, I genuinely couldn't hear a word that lovely lady carol said at the end due to some shouting in our ears.
    Thanks for all your nice tweets. Feel so bad about carol! I would never be purposely impolite to a guest. Hope you all have a nice evening x

Not everyone uses Twitter.
    I wonder if she'll mention it on The One Show tomorrow - you know, to the people who might actually watch it/her rather than just follow her on Twitter.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »

Things like that happen on live television, sure they apologised to the lady afterwards and that is the important thing. Martha's Dad Tweeted..
    NeverSeconds ‏@NeverSeconds
    Huge thanks to @JamieOliver, Alex and Matt at One Show for being so kind to a nervous Martha and I. Fund raising response incredible.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with this show, everything is timed to within a few seconds and they try to pack in as much as possible to retain an audience.
    Rapid cutaways are not unusual in any show like this when there are guests involved as they can be the ones who take more time talking than has been allocated. That's why quite often the presenters answer themselves, questions asked of guests.

It's not like the news where the contents are usually decided well before the bulletin and much of it is cutting back and forth between pre-recorded clips of a know length.
    Very few "earth shattering and bulletin changing events" happen whilst the news is going out.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the presenters are just the puppets to the person talking/shouting into their earpieces.
    Sadly this lack of production values has the presenters as the fall guys and gals (no JS pun intended).
    Alex looking good tonight I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    She's absolutely useless as a presenter and after all these years still has no idea what she's doing. If it wasn't for her tits and superficial resemblence of Bleakers, she wouldn't have got the job in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's absolutely useless as a presenter and after all these years still has no idea what she's doing. If it wasn't for her tits and superficial resemblence of Bleakers, she wouldn't have got the job in the first place.

I presume we can take it that you don't like her.

Who do you think is an outstanding example of a female TV presenter so we can all criticise them?

Alex Jones always seems to do a perfectly good job as far as I can see and I can never see the resemblence to Christine Bleakley except them both being young women of about the same height.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    Unfortunately the presenters are just the puppets to the person talking/shouting into their earpieces.
    Sadly this lack of production values has the presenters as the fall guys and gals (no JS pun intended).
    Alex looking good tonight I thought.

This is true, but a talented presenter ought to be able to act on the producer's (or whoever is yelling at them about timing) earpiece advice subtly. Alex seems to act on the advice immediately rather than tactfully reacting to it with regard to the actual situation she's in. The trick is to quickly wrap up a segment that is over-running, but do it politely and seamlessly.
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,377
    Forum Member

sorry have deleted this as replied to wrong post!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    This is true, but a talented presenter ought to be able to act on the producer's (or whoever is yelling at them about timing) earpiece advice subtly. Alex seems to act on the advice immediately rather than tactfully reacting to it with regard to the actual situation she's in. The trick is to quickly wrap up a segment that is over-running, but do it politely and seamlessly.

They're only human.
    I'd imagine a show like hers becomes problematical when they have to make up time, by cutting stuff short, out completely, or changing the running order.

Conversely, the news is likely pretty much cut, dried and part-rehearsed before it airs, with a high proportion of it pre-recorded clips timed to the second, so it must be comparatively a pretty straightforward job.
    But you can tell when Huw Edwards gets a message from his director ordering a change in content or running order, as he affects that "rabbit caught in the headlights" look.

Not that I watch it much, but Alex, sometimes, given some extremes of what she wears, seems as if she's just popped in on her way to Tesco's, or has stopped off on her way to a film premiere.
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,377
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I presume we can take it that you don't like her.

Who do you think is an outstanding example of a female TV presenter so we can all criticise them?

Alex Jones always seems to do a perfectly good job as far as I can see and I can never see the resemblence to Christine Bleakley except them both being young women of about the same height.

if you have a look at pictures of Alex Jones when she was first hired and had long hair, she was practically identical to Christine Bleakley, it was commented on at the time and probably the reason she cut her hair, many people said she had only been hired as she was so like CB.
  • LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenters do this all the time and it is very awkward, but they have to for timing reasons. They probably have someone screaming in their ears or standing off-camera telling them what to do, that it's time to move on to the next item.

At least she didn't move on from a serious item to some pointless competition to win 10 grand with by answering an easy question which Daybreak and This Morning presenters have to do all the time.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the original poster is dead right. This was disgraceful - this studio guest had gone to a huge amount of work, Jamie seemed quite appreciative of the effort, yet she barely got half a dozen words out. No matter what Alex Jones was being told about moving on, she could and should have handled it a whole lot better.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This is the problem with this show, everything is timed to within a few seconds and they try to pack in as much as possible to retain an audience.
    Rapid cutaways are not unusual in any show like this when there are guests involved as they can be the ones who take more time talking than has been allocated. That's why quite often the presenters answer themselves, questions asked of guests.

It's not like the news where the contents are usually decided well before the bulletin and much of it is cutting back and forth between pre-recorded clips of a know length.
    Very few "earth shattering and bulletin changing events" happen whilst the news is going out.
    Strangely just the other day there was a newsreader on the BBC News channel talking to a scientist/expert about the skyjump thingy and the newsreader on a couple of occasions asked questions that the expert had already answered in his previous answers.
    So basically either not listening or not knowing what to do and just asking the same question again.
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That is the problem. I think people know that the show has a time limit and quick turnover but it's the way that the presenter handles it that matters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    /////

That is the problem. I think people know that the show has a time limit and quick turnover but it's the way that the presenter handles it that matters.

This is true, but perhaps her's in this instance was a "knee-jerk" reaction to some pretty aggressive direction?

I'd imagine it's not unusual for that programme to run out of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have a look at pictures of Alex Jones when she was first hired and had long hair, she was practically identical to Christine Bleakley, it was commented on at the time and probably the reason she cut her hair, many people said she had only been hired as she was so like CB.

I think the press just decided that anyone replacing Christine Bleakley would be a clone of her. The replacement could have been three foot tall with spikey bright red hair and they would have said she was a clone. Neither of them have particular distinctive hair styles or hair colours so hardly surprising that there were very superficial similarities but it was exaggerated by the press.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There were similarities and it wasn't the height.
    Brunette, brown eyes with a strong regional accent. At the time they did look kind of similar. They've both changed their looks/style now. Mostly Bleakley turning orange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There were similarities and it wasn't the height.
    Brunette, brown eyes with a strong regional accent. At the time they did look kind of similar. They've both changed their looks/style now. Mostly Bleakley turning orange.

She's not Orange, she's Chelsea blue!
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ;
    marianna01 wrote: »
    Yes I saw that and said to OH that was so rude - she cut off that lady while she was talking. Alex Jones never seems to actually listen to the guests and seems to have no interaction with the guests or knowledge of the subjects being discussed.
    I've noticed she also does this with her co-presenters.
    Perhaps she's a slave to her in-ear producer telling her to move on, do the next bit and so-on.
    It could simply be that she can't do two things at once and has to bulldoze through the script or she'd bog down.
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think the press just decided that anyone replacing Christine Bleakley would be a clone of her. The replacement could have been three foot tall with spikey bright red hair and they would have said she was a clone. Neither of them have particular distinctive hair styles or hair colours so hardly surprising that there were very superficial similarities but it was exaggerated by the press.
    Now way! They picked her because she was a clone!