Options

Inside Claridge's...9pm..BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    If people want to spend their money on that hotel , that's up to them. But what an unpleasant place to stay. Horrible creepy looking staff, expecting a tip ,in particular the manager.

Linoleum floors, constant noise from re furbishments. What a strange place to stay.

What a nasty character that old bookie was. Are we expected to believe that he is a good guy. No he was a mate of the Kray twins, but no problem as long as he pays his bills.

It just amazes me that idiots will pay out for a room which you can get for £30 a night for exactly the same service

I really dont like the Manager when you look at the hotels in Richard E grants show they really are amazing compared to Claridges.

its been brilliant seeing the workings of the Hotel and the room for many of us will never seen them,But agree for the price theres been nothing mega stand out or opulent.Given the location of the hotel the rates alone must be through the roof and factor into the prices they charge.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just amazes me that idiots will pay out for a room which you can get for £30 a night for exactly the same service

So what happens in a Travelodge when you ring down to reception at 3am and ask for a bottle of champagne?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    If people want to spend their money on that hotel , that's up to them. But what an unpleasant place to stay. Horrible creepy looking staff, expecting a tip ,in particular the manager.

Linoleum floors, constant noise from re furbishments. What a strange place to stay.

What a nasty character that old bookie was. Are we expected to believe that he is a good guy. No he was a mate of the Kray twins, but no problem as long as he pays his bills.

Pray tell, where?
    We can all go and check out this bargain basement hotel with superb service that you speak of.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    So what happens in a Travelodge when you ring down to reception at 3am and ask for a bottle of champagne?

They've got carpet in Travelodge too, which beats Claridge's and their lino.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

Exactly . If you want a drink or something to eat in the middle of the night you would take the precaution of buying it yourself from Tescos round the corner, rather than paying £50 for some bulter to deliver it to your room
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    Well Roman's son is at Oxford and that doesn't come cheap! So I'm assuming he has to pay something to help so it has to be worth it.

I think Thomas should get his own show- he's ace!

Is Oxford more expensive than other universities? And do all parents contribute to the cost of going to university or do some people make their own way by working in holidays and using student loans?

I don't like assumptions you are making
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if you stay in one of the £5000 suites if all your food and drink are included in the price?

Or do you have to pay extra?:eek:
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if you stay in one of the £5000 suites if all your food and drink are included in the price?

I'm guessing extra....:eek:

The Mini Bar....I'm sure they said wasn't free...in the Suites too.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if I were a millionaire I'd still begrudge paying those prices. :p As long as a hotel is clean and comfortable then I'd be happy to pay for the least pricey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it wrong that i find the manager attractive! he just seems really sweet! :o
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    I didnt enjoy it as much as the last one as I guess the first was more of an eye opener as to the level of detail the staff go to. Was shocked Thomas went off to Yorkshire to sample jam :D

If it had not been for a "reality" show the jam company would have sent a rep down to London with a box of samples.

After all the hotel needs to know what the jam tastes like when it is in London, not in Yorkshire.

But of course "reality" TV is always totally unreal.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,993
    Forum Member
    If they have problems with baths overflowing, why hadn't they installed sensors?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The general rule of thumb with hotels is that the more expensive they are the less you get inclusive.

In cheap hotels you often get free breakfast and WiFi. You almost never do in expensive ones.
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    I hope she is paid a decent salary, I was speaking with a colleague who knows one of the kitchen staff at the Savoy and it is minimum wage without perks, not even the meals are included until you have five months service according to him.

She is paid minimum wage. No perks and very few tips.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    If it had not been for a "reality" show the jam company would have sent a rep down to London with a box of samples.

After all the hotel needs to know what the jam tastes like when it is in London, not in Yorkshire.

So they didn't need to go to New York last week ....did the BEEB pay for that too.;)

Not sure they would have Reps turning up to Luxury Hotels....:confused:
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    Even if I were a millionaire I'd still begrudge paying those prices. :p As long as a hotel is clean and comfortable then I'd be happy to pay for the least pricey.

Yes but it depends on the lifestyle you lead, the people who stay at hotels such as Claridges are used to every luxury in their everyday life and being waited on hand and foot.. We ordinary mortals baulk at paying 5k a night because it is just not part of our life style - this amount is what pensioners have to live on for a year. :(
    I am so used to watching every penny that being rich might well be wasted on me. :p Even if I had millions in the bank, I would find it hard to justify paying those prices, even though it would be rather nice to have the experience - it's pretty much down to what we are used to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »

How do you actually know this or are you just assuming?
    There are a hellish number of business people going great distances to meetings that 'could' be done over the phone of via video conferencing or similar.

It's a documentary anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    Yes but it depends on the lifestyle you lead, the people who stay at hotels such as Claridges are used to every luxury in their everyday life and being waited on hand and foot.. We ordinary mortals baulk at paying 5k a night because it is just not part of our life style - this amount is what pensioners have to live on for a year. :(
    I am so used to watching every penny that being rich might well be wasted on me. :p Even if I had millions in the bank, I would find it hard to justify paying those prices, even though it would be rather nice to have the experience - it's pretty much down to what we are used to.

There was a millionaire featured on one of Clarkson's docs IIRC.
    He owned a private jet, bought an ex charter 707 or similar, kitted it all out with a custom interior at great expense due to the Aircraft spec testing required.
    It's for high days and holidays, when he's flying for business he goes 'coach' instead of first or business class, he says he's too 'cheap'.

Some wealthy people don't like paying 'sticker price' for anything, they always negotiate a deal.
    Whilst in sales, I met a City dealer type who was like that once, he didn't get a 'deal' out of me, because he got on my nips :)
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you actually know this or are you just assuming?
    How do I know that the manager of a huge hotel does not usually travel all over the country in order to choose a brand of jam? Because I have a bit of common sense.

If the hotel had sent a member of staff to Yorkshire to look for jam I would have been sceptical, but for the manager, who must have a huge number of things to do everyday, to go was simply ridiculous.
    There are a hellish number of business people going great distances to meetings that 'could' be done over the phone of via video conferencing or similar.
    Choosing jam is not a conference. Sales reps travel with their products. This is particularly true when the customer is very grand, and the seller is a small manufacturer of relatively cheap products. Making a sale to Claridges would be a big deal for the tiny jam company, they would gladly send someone with samples to London to try to make the deal.
    It's a documentary anyway.

A reality show about a hotel is not what I call a documentary. Was Maureen on Driving School in a documentary? And was that camp guy on the Airport show in a documentary?

You might call that sort of show a documentary, to me it is a "reality" show - principally because it does not mind distorting reality for the good of the programme.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite.

Which hotel in Central London can you get the same service for £30 a night? I will put my relatives up there next time they come over.

Also some of these people don't just book one room. The foreign Princess and the Japanese Britney spears booked >30 rooms and stayed for well over a week. If you can afford to book >30 rooms, I doubt if booking one room for 5k for one night is going to break the bank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which hotel in Central London can you get the same service for £30 a night? I will put my relatives up there next time they come over.

Also some of these people don't just book one room. The foreign Princess and the Japanese Britney spears booked >30 rooms and stayed for well over a week. If you can afford to book >30 rooms, I doubt if booking one room for 5k for one night is going to break the bank.

I think you've quoted the wrong FM there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you've quoted the wrong FM there.

Indeed. Must say though I'm all ears about the £30 a night 5* hotel myself ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Must say though I'm all ears about the £30 a night 5* hotel myself ;)

That's just low wattage trolling, if you ask me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Pray tell, where?
    We can all go and check out this bargain basement hotel with superb service that you speak of.

London University student accommodation. Ensuite rom £40, shared bathroom £22. I stayed in there a couple of years ago , for £35 a night. Just a bed and a bathroom , but what more do you want . They also have a kitchen in which you can prepare your own food. It was in Holborn which is a much more central location ( fo me anyway) than Claridges.

http://www.londonuniversityrooms.co.uk/?gclid=CPXI_qjGm7QCFTDMtAodbl8ANg
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    London University student accommodation. Ensuite rom £40, shared bathroom £22. I stayed in there a couple of years ago , for £35 a night. Just a bed and a bathroom , but what more do you want . They also have a kitchen in which you can prepare your own food. It was in Holborn which is a much more central location ( fo me anyway) than Claridges.

http://www.londonuniversityrooms.co.uk/?gclid=CPXI_qjGm7QCFTDMtAodbl8ANg

I stayed in this type of accomodation some years ago, somewhere near Goodge St Tube station. Cost £9 for a single room with washbasin. Communal bathroom, packed breakfast, but other breakfasts available at extra cost. All very clean and studenty - no where comparable to Claridges :D and only available out of term time.