Options

Apples Broken Promises (Panorama) 9pm tonight 18/12

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks interesting, just showed a mini report on the news.

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Might give the endless cheerleaders something to think about.

Have read alarming reports in the past about the way this company treats some of its workers. It doesn't sound like much has changed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    More left wing outrage fodder.

This smacks of yet another Panorama anti Apple attack. No mention of Samsung or the hundreds of other tech and clothing companies that do business in China and the far east., and the fact t hat NONE of these people actually work for Apple.

And as usual giving a pass to the countries in which these people live - while engaging in shallow petty left wing nonsense.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On now, typing on my lg pad...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Not expecting this to reveal anything new, or to change the legion of mindless iSheep, but still good to see it on primetime TV.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an important documentary with some fascinating secret footage, but I'd like to see comparisons with the labour practises of other tech giants. Though I'm always glad for them to be brought down a peg, I highly doubt this abuse is exclusive to Apple.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again.
    Successful company so BBC do a job on them.
    Google, Ryan Air and now Apple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Just watch it before you judge - I am deeply ashamed that the western world exploits the poorer on this planet.

Why are Apple going overseas anyway??
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And all the sanctimonious, holier-than-thou people who work on Panorama have never, ever, owned or used an Apple product, have they? Or edited documentaries using Final Cut Pro. Oh, wait...

Such hypocrisy...
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    MissDior wrote: »
    Just watch it before you judge - I am deeply ashamed that the western world exploits the poorer on this planet.

Why are Apple going overseas anyway??

True but the governments of these third world companies exploit their workers as well.

People could refuse to buy stuff from new and buy secondhand instead, but most people don't care, just as most people wouldn't like to see a slaughter house in operation but they still eat meat.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    And all the sanctimonious, holier-than-thou people who work on Panorama have never, ever, owned or used an Apple product, have they? Or edited documentaries using Final Cut Pro. Oh, wait...

Such hypocrisy...

Good point. I haven't got an Apple product so I can be sanctimonious. However, as a Samsung user I wont kid myself that they aren't just as bad.
  • Options
    angebangeb Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Oh blimey.

That was pretty shocking. Not just the hideously way that people were treated on the factory floor but the knock on effect.
  • Options
    Diane60Diane60 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    God....I am picking up a new IPad tomorrow. You don't even think how the end product got on the shelves. I do love Apple and wonder if other high end companies have the same work ethics.
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that documentary pretty haunting, luckily we have never liked Apple and don't have any of their products in our house otherwise i'd feel a bit weirded out by them!

I do wish there was some sort of database where people can check who supplies the parts and manufacturing for all the companies we buy stuff from because it worries me not knowing if the tin in my Motorola phone was mined by a kid or adult that may well be dead in a landslide by now :-( Thing is it damages our own economies by not having stuff manufactured ethically here instead of abroad in squalid conditions.
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    saoir wrote: »
    More left wing outrage fodder.

This smacks of yet another Panorama anti Apple attack. No mention of Samsung or the hundreds of other tech and clothing companies that do business in China and the far east., and the fact t hat NONE of these people actually work for Apple.

And as usual giving a pass to the countries in which these people live - while engaging in shallow petty left wing nonsense.
    Here we go again.
    Successful company so BBC do a job on them.
    Google, Ryan Air and now Apple.
    Irma Bunt wrote: »

Such hypocrisy...

It would appear that at least 3 people commenting on the program either didn't watch it or chose to ignore the bits that didn't fit in with their opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    The trouble is most people don't care where their stuff comes from as long as it's fashionable or cheap (Primark). I don't have any Apple products and feel sorry for the saddos who have to have the latest version - get a life and Merry Christmas!!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Some people seem to have missed the part where the reporter openly admitted he was an Apple user & then they highlighted more than once that other companies use these suppliers.

The key point is that Apple has billions in the bank & make billions of profit every year - far dwarfing their competitors. They are in a position to take a stand and lead the industry. They don't.

But if "not just Apple" helps you sleep with your iPhone on the bedside table, go right ahead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would appear that at least 3 people commenting on the program either didn't watch it or chose to ignore the bits that didn't fit in with their opinion.

Watched all of it. Pathetic. But nothing that we don't expect from Panorama and the BBC ... find a sad situation then find a big successful company who doesn't even employ them to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lopek wrote: »
    Some people seem to have missed the part where the reporter openly admitted he was an Apple user & then they highlighted more than once that other companies use these suppliers.

The key point is that Apple has billions in the bank & make billions of profit every year - far dwarfing their competitors. They are in a position to take a stand and lead the industry. They don't.

But if "not just Apple" helps you sleep with your iPhone on the bedside table, go right ahead.

And we do. Three iPads, two iPhone 6+ and two iMacs. We love them.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Exactly this. Apple should be leading. Its happy to present a classy outlook and spend billions of dollars of your money on a shiny new office complex in the US yet the factories have to put suicide nets up.....

Scary, eh .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    saoir wrote: »
    And we do. Three iPads, two iPhone 6+ and two iMacs. We love them.

Happy for you. If that's what brings you joy .......

I'm sure the apple execs love bathing in all the profit margin you are throwing their way ;)
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The key point is that Apple has billions in the bank & make billions of profit every year - far dwarfing their competitors.
    This is incorrect. Samsung are a massive conglomerate (there's a specific word in Korean that translates to roughly 'family run business' but actually kind of means 'huge company that has many different fingers in many different pies') that makes roughly as much profit as Apple does. Apple makes more profit per sector in fewer sectors than Samsung does but Samsung is actually the bigger company. In fact given the range of Samsung's interests and where they are based, they have much more influence over Chinese labour practices than Apple do. LG HTC etc have less weight to throw around but are also closer, as it were.
    They are in a position to take a stand and lead the industry. They don't.
    Why should they? How come Apple are the only ones required to take a moral stance? They're a publicly traded company. they have legal binding responsibilities and that's it. Anything beyond that they do entirely because their management feels it's a good idea to. if you actually think multi-billion dollar corporations have anything like morals or ethics, you're an incredibly naive person.

Plus if all this stuff happening is 'Apple's fault' for not stopping it, that lets every other electronics company off the hook. So Apple have to tighten up their supply chains and shout at Chinese factory owners. OK. So when are we going to tell Sony, and Hitachi to? And what about people being exploited in Africa for example?

You can't pick and choose your targets of moral indignation when they're all at it. That just makes you look a bit partial.
    Ditto for you if you think not buying Apple makes you somehow a better person and able to take the moral high ground. You're wrong, but it's your delusion and you're welcome to it.

The bare fact is, the only way you can ensure that the products you buy are manufactured in ethically sound conditions is pretty much to only buy stuff that's manufactured within the EU. Good luck with that when you're buying electronics.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Exactly this. Apple should be leading. Its happy to present a classy outlook and spend billions of dollars of your money on a shiny new office complex in the US yet the factories have to put suicide nets up.....
    Scary, eh .....
    Samsung spend more on marketing each year than Apple makes in profit. Who has the responsibility again?
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy Apple because it's overpriced tat aimed at those who must have the latest line in tat as soon as it's in their nearest tat shop... but then my phone lives in the drawer, and I don't see the appeal of those slidey slate things. I yearn for the days of speccies and walkmans. I even have a basic laptop, does what I need it to, no point having something that does things I don't need. It's all brainwashing, "buy this, and next week this will be out of date, but don't worry you can buy that too, and when that is out of date a week later...".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Samsung spend more on marketing each year than Apple makes in profit. Who has the responsibility again?

Why are you suggesting that I think Samsung would be OK if they do similar ??

Its a very typical response. Someone else does it so its OK for apple to ?

(No Samsung phones in my household either by the way)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technology can be cheap, Apple stuff generally isn't. What you've got to ask yourself is would you rather the money goes to the shareholders or the poor people that manufacture the products.