Options

Graham Norton Show Series 16 begins 26 September 2014

Comments

• Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Insulting something you didn't watch is just stupid. As for "same old guests", he's been on air for years. Of course he's going to have some repeats. Luke Evans hasn't been on before though.

For those who did actually watch it, did it seem like Luke and Emma disliked each other?

I thought there was an awkward moment when she asked if he did any movies where he didn't wear extensions and he said did she do anything without crying? Something like that but then Hugh took away the attention from that when he thought the movie was called Dracula on toast lol.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I didn't think so at all.

I was on the phone for a few minutes during some of the show and I thought I heard a couple of snipes. Maybe I misheard.
    I thought there was an awkward moment when she asked if he did any movies where he didn't wear extensions and he said did she do anything without crying? Something like that but then Hugh took away the attention from that when he thought the movie was called Dracula on toast lol.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to take that. There was another thing Emma said that I thought sounded a bit like an insult aimed at him. I didn't hear everything clearly though, so I'm probably wrong.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I was on the phone for a few minutes during some of the show and I thought I heard a couple of snipes. Maybe I misheard.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to take that. There was another thing Emma said that I thought sounded a bit like an insult aimed at him. I didn't hear everything clearly though, so I'm probably wrong.

That was forward planning. They all know each other and it's fun.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't enjoy last night's at all - thought Ms Thompson was an insufferable luvvie, just dreadful!
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy last night's at all - thought Ms Thompson was an insufferable luvvie, just dreadful!

I have thought that for a while now.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Hugh Grant , he's very self-deprecating , but why is he doing yet another rom-com ?? I'm sure I heard him in previous interviews saying he'd pretty much stopped acting 'cos he didn't want to do that sort of stuff anymore .

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wasn't really looking forward to it as I have no interest in Grant or Thompson and didn't know who Evans was.

I enjoyed it though. Grant seems ok with taking the p out of himself and had some quick witted lines and Thompson was quite fun.

I'd had a bottle of wine by that point though. hic!
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Hugh Grant, he always comes across well in interviews
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »

I think Hugh saved the show. He is always great and never takes himself too seriously. I had no interest in the Dracula guy as I had never heard of him, and he turned out to be pretty dull. Also Lenny Kravitz singing "Are You Gonna Go My Way" for the 20th year in a row was dire (yes I know it was'nt that song but every thing he has released since then just sounds like that).

I agree about Emma Thomson. She used be quite witty and endearing in a Judy Dench / Kate Winslet style, but now she has turned into a full on "mad eccentric auntie who is pissed on red wine" mode. Its unbearable. She is like that in every single interview now so it was'nt just tonight.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    I think Hugh saved the show. He is always great and never takes himself too seriously. I had no interest in the Dracula guy as I had never heard of him, and he turned out to be pretty dull. Also Lenny Kravitz singing "Are You Gonna Go My Way" for the 20th year in a row was dire (yes I know it was'nt that song but every thing he has released since then just sounds like that).

I agree about Emma Thomson. She used be quite witty and endearing in a Judy Dench / Kate Winslet style, but now she has turned into a full on "mad eccentric auntie who is pissed on red wine" mode. Its unbearable. She is like that in every single interview now so it was'nt just tonight.

Spot on she is insufferable.:(
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I have thought that for a while now.

Must admit she got on my nerves a bit. Loved Hugh's line about filming Sense and senibilty, something about being grumpy, fat and got arrested halfway through. Lukes from my hometown so gave him the benefit of the doubt. Bit out of his depth but seems sweet.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was that rubbish Thompson was on about - about someone begging her to write some Beatrix Potter books ? it sounded like such bullshit , hugh grant should've pointed out to her that she did it for the money .
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    what was that rubbish Thompson was on about - about someone begging her to write some Beatrix Potter books ? it sounded like such bullshit , hugh grant should've pointed out to her that she did it for the money .

Wish he had, but then he's clearly made that film for the money. Loved the script, my ar#e
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member

I thought it was very sweet and she has never been one for lying. It rings completely true.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma and the Micky Mouse stickers! Apart from ....really!? Desperate to get a reaction...... twice!
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh Grant said he did Comedy before his acting and you can see he could make a successful return if desired.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Hugh Grant said he did Comedy before his acting and you can see he could make a successful return if desired.

I would like to see him doing Bernard Manning style material
  • Options
    samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found out that the musical guest for next week will be none other than U2. Other guests being Robert Duvall, Robert Downey Jr and Stephen Fry. Even if I am not a massive U2 fan I do think that is quite a coup for Graham, as I remember reading a while back, when JR was the king of Friday Nights, that they would only do his programme. I did'n't think Bono and Graham got along. Anyways, we'll see what happens next week.

This week is John Cleese, Taylor Swift, Kevin Pietersen, Neil Diamond
    Next week is Robert Duvall, Robert Downey Jr. Stephen Fry, U2
    In two weeks ?, Timothy Spall, Miranda Hart, Maroon 5
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    This week is John Cleese, Taylor Swift, Kevin Pietersen, Neil Diamond

Not looking forward to tonight's show.

John Cleese is really awful these days. When Graham had the whole Monty Python cast on he was being really obnoxious and desperately attention seeking. It was really sad and not fun at all.

I doubt Kevin Pietersen will add much real entertainment either. Cricket is hardly the most entertaining subject at the best of times.

I really feel sorry for Taylor Swift, to be honest. I think she's got a really duff line-up of fellow guests who she's really going to struggle to relate to and interact with.

I expect it to be a pretty awkward watch.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Cleese has let him self go
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Taylor seems... not so bright.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If John Cleese is on a mission to be disliked by everybody, he's doing a good job. :(
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    Well Taylor seems... not so bright.

you only just found out ^_^
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    <snip>
    I expect it to be a pretty awkward watch.

Bloody right there!
    Poor Taylor is putting on a (sometimes) brave face and putting up with John being crappy.
    KP just looks yummy as usual.:blush::D
  • Options
    Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Cleese is amazing. :D