EgyptAir Flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo 'disappears from radar'

Comments

• franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Egyptian military has denied that there was a distress call.

I've been reading that details might be getting lost in translation / uncertainty as re "distress call".
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to a Sky News commentator, it could apparently have been a 'fascist group' wanting to 'smear' the reputation of the Islamic world...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the most likely scenario is that it's crashed into the sea.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    BFMTV has tweeted the following: ALERT INFO - Paris - Cairo flight: the plane crashed off the coast of the Greek island of Karpathos

Take it with a pinch of salt as always. BFMTV is a French news channel.

AFP also saying this citing Greek airport source. Having just googled, that island is way way off from where it was supposed to have vanished.

Have a look on Twitter @MarineTraffic has just posted a video of where the local vessels are searching.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    According to a Sky News commentator, it could apparently have been a 'fascist group' wanting to 'smear' the reputation of the Islamic world...

He was going through a list of what it could be, the same way it could just be a major catastrophic failure. Good on Sam Kiley to point out that terrorism doesn't just mean Islamic and that it comes in many forms.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    Fox News are reporting that a vessel called in a flame in the sky.
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Sky News now speculating whether the aircraft was correctly maintained,
    BFMTV has tweeted the following: ALERT INFO - Paris - Cairo flight: the plane crashed off the coast of the Greek island of Karpathos
    Apparently the most likely scenario is that it's crashed into the sea.

And this is what happens when you have 24 hour news - mass speculation and broadcasts without any factual basis. A bit like this thread I guess... ;)
    Forum Member
    And this is what happens when you have 24 hour news - mass speculation and broadcasts without any factual basis. A bit like this thread I guess... ;)

Yea, but...:D
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aye - you can always count on the ds aviation experts to make an appearance when things like this happen - thoroughly enjoying the drama veiled with faux concern.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly! Add in that people want to know EXACTLY what happened NOW and seemingly cannot seem to grasp that initial information can be confused, uncertain, or just lacking. Not to mention that if the plane has crashed into a relatively small sea - it is still a very big area to search, and that debris is still quite difficult to spot amongst the detritus and small boats etc in the area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was going through a list of what it could be, the same way it could just be a major catastrophic failure. Good on Sam Kiley to point out that terrorism doesn't just mean Islamic and that it comes in many forms.

He said:

"We have no idea. This could've been a fascist group, if it was a terrorist act behind this, trying to smear the Islamic tradition right across the globe".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly! Add in that people want to know EXACTLY what happened NOW and seemingly cannot seem to grasp that initial information can be confused, uncertain, or just lacking. Not to mention that if the plane has crashed into a relatively small sea - it is still a very big area to search, and that debris is still quite difficult to spot amongst the detritus and small boats etc in the area.

The Mediterranean is surprisingly deep as well, I found out recently, with a maximum depth of over 17,000ft [5000m].
    Forum Member
    He said:

"We have no idea. This could've been a fascist group, if it was a terrorist act behind this, trying to smear the Islamic tradition right across the globe".

I never said he didn't say that, my point was he listed several things. Feel free to include what he had said before and after that. He has been interviewed several times and gone through a number of possibilities.

That could be one, but it could be anything.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    How can a multi tonne object carrying 66 passengers disappear from Radar?

They can track a mobile phone but not a bloody plane ffs

I really hope its not a bomb because that means it got past Paris airport security
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said he didn't say that, my point was he listed several things. Feel free to include what he had said before and after that. He has been interviewed several times and gone through a number of possibilities.

That could be one, but it could be anything.

He left out aliens though, which is only slightly less likely than it being a "fascist group" wanting to "smear the the Islamic tradition right across the globe".
    Forum Member
    He left out aliens though, which is only slightly less likely than it being a "fascist group" wanting to "smear the the Islamic tradition right across the globe".

Oh how childish of you.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a multi tonne object carrying 66 passengers disappear from Radar?

They can track a mobile phone but not a bloody plane ffs

I really hope its not a bomb because that means it got past Paris airport security

I think the point is...there is nothing left to track ie the object being tracked is no longer there. Taking the (currently assumed position) that there was no distress call then one must speculate that the plane suffered explosive decompression for some reason or the pilot dived the plane below an altitude not covered by radar and decided not to broadcast a mayday. Eitherway it does not look good.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    I think the point is...there is nothing left to track ie the object being tracked is no longer there. Taking the (currently assumed position) that there was no distress call then one must speculate that the plane suffered explosive decompression for some reason or the pilot dived the plane below an altitude not covered by radar and decided not to broadcast a mayday. Eitherway it does not look good.

Can they not invent a device that is trackable even if the plane decompresses?
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can they not invent a device that is trackable even if the plane decompresses?

I think the black box has a tracker beacon but can only be "detected" from relatively close range. I could be wrong, no doubt someone will confirm or correct.
  • sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    French media reporting wreckage found off the coast of Karpathos. :( No confirmation though.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was 10 mile from landing woukd it have been starting it's descent?

A ground to air missile could have taken it down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was 10 mile from landing woukd it have been starting it's descent?

A ground to air missile could have taken it down.

Do you really not see how distasteful this is?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    I think the black box has a tracker beacon but can only be "detected" from relatively close range. I could be wrong, no doubt someone will confirm or correct.

They have Emergency Locator Beacons that should, in theory, feature worldwide operation via satellite.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Do you really not see how distasteful this is?

Why do you find people speculating on the causes of this disaster, on a discussion forum, distasteful ?

My money's on a bomb, maybe set to go off at a certain altitude.
    I wouldn't rule out catastrophic mechanical failure though.

It could always be one of those fascist groups, trying to smear the good name of Islam of course.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Why do you find people speculating on the causes of this disaster, on a discussion forum, distasteful ?

My money's on a bomb, maybe set to go off at a certain altitude.
    I wouldn't rule out catastrophic mechanical failure though.

It could always be one of those fascist groups, trying to smear the good name of Islam of course.....

Because people are speculating as to whether 66 missing people have either been blown up or shot down or this or that based on no evidence. It's incredibly disrespectful to them and their families.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBC Radio 2 news just said that at least 66 Muslims have been removed from working airside because of security concerns, but still many more Muslims working at the airport.