Options

Hate crime reports up 57% since brexit

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
http://news.sky.com/story/1718374/hate-crime-reports-up-57-percent-in-brexit-aftermath

Bloody pathetic.
Had the brexit results gone the opposite way the increase ( which I massively doubt are true) woukd have been blamed on england being at the euros.

It's such a ridiculous smear campaign.

Comments

• Options
    IamParadoxIamParadox Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://news.sky.com/story/1718374/hate-crime-reports-up-57-percent-in-brexit-aftermath

Bloody pathetic.
    Had the brexit results gone the opposite way the increase ( which I massively doubt are true) woukd have been blamed on england being at the euros.

It's such a ridiculous smear campaign.

Anti-Semitic crimes have been on the increase for years and increased by 60% in London last year. Not much a mention of though. It must be Brexit to blame.
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three thing's. Obviously alleged needs to be taken into consideration.

Clearly anyone found to be doing these thing's should be punished.

Many people who are non white to look at , also voted to leave the EU. A few of them were politicians too. Luckily, for the overwhelming majority of people. Wanting more control over immigration 'numbers'. Has nothing what so ever to do with what colour someone is.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been an increase though. Plenty of us, and people we know and trust have seen it, both IRL and online. So I'm not sure why you think it's made up?
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks saying these kinds of things out loud to other people really are utterly contemptible.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    There has been an increase though. Plenty of us, and people we know and trust have seen it, both IRL and online. So I'm not sure why you think it's made up?

What I find really interesting is that in numerous racism threads on DS over the years there have been posts along the lines of "there's no racism, it's all in their heads, they have a chip on their shoulder, people can't say anything anymore without being racists" etc etc and now that we have some real cases of racism suddenly "well there's been racists all along, racism happens everyday" etc etc :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    What I find really interesting is that in numerous racism threads on DS over the years there have been posts along the lines of "there's no racism, it's all in their heads, they have a chip on their shoulder, people can't say anything anymore without being racists" etc etc and now that we have some real cases of racism suddenly "well there's been racists all along, racism happens everyday" etc etc :confused:

Probably wishful thinking? It isn't nice, it's embarrassing and in some areas is making people look like a bunch of stereotypes.

There is also the possibility of feeling some kind of responsibility, one person I know feels they have "sanctioned it", which of course they haven't.

So I do understand why some people may want to deny its happening or play it down.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw someone with a sign that called for the death of all old white people. Terrible.
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw someone with a sign that called for the death of all old white people. Terrible.
    Yep. Bullshit. Over the top nasty behavior is coming from all angles from some.

It's all pathetic. Still a very small minority though.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course it's always possible that it's a form of confirmation bias. Some people are more sensitive of reports of "racism" because they play into the narrative they want to confirm. Such reports get circulated more than usual and, just like that, there's an outbreak of racism.

Course an increase of 57% without knowing the actual figures looks like a big number. In context it could be less than 10 actual incidents. Beware of statistics.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks saying these kinds of things out loud to other people really are utterly contemptible.

Absolutely, there is no excuse for racism.

Nor should it be linked to anything (football suffered at the hands of racists, not fans), just dealt with toughly.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just nasty people that's all.

It's wrong to make everyone that voted leave feel they caused this.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    This happened to two of my friends out on a hen night in Bath of all places over the weekend.
    They were speaking Welsh and got accosted by a furious middle-aged man telling them "We voted you out! [illogical] so you'd better start speaking English or you'll be sent home"

All the way to Cardiff?!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then I hope the police have been notified of that, doesn't mean an increase of racism and xenophobia hasn't occurred.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Of course it's always possible that it's a form of confirmation bias. Some people are more sensitive of reports of "racism" because they play into the narrative they want to confirm. Such reports get circulated more than usual and, just like that, there's an outbreak of racism.

Course an increase of 57% without knowing the actual figures looks like a big number. In context it could be less than 10 actual incidents. Beware of statistics.

It could play a role in perception, but it's definitely much higher than in the 10's.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then I hope the police have been notified of that, doesn't mean an increase of racism and xenophobia hasn't occurred.

I never suggested it did but things such as that appear to have been ignored. it wasn't what you had in mind when you saw the thread title was it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never suggested it did but things such as that appear to have been ignored. it wasn't what you had in mind when you saw the thread title was it?

No, but people have made it all too easy to see it one way I'm afraid. Now it's been drawn to my attention, I agree, it's totally unacceptable.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    This happened to two of my friends out on a hen night in Bath of all places over the weekend.
    They were speaking Welsh and got accosted by a furious middle-aged man telling them "We voted you out! [illogical] so you'd better start speaking English or you'll be sent home"

All the way to Cardiff?!!

It's absolutely ridiculous..

What a thick moron that idiot abusing your friend was.

Who are these hideous bigots now crawling out of the woodwork? :(
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been an increase though. Plenty of us, and people we know and trust have seen it, both IRL and online. So I'm not sure why you think it's made up?[/QUOTE]

Well, because you need to do better than just saying 'Us'. Who is 'Us'?

Who has seen it in real life...you? Or are you relating stories, tweets, repeated comments you have seen elsewhere?

Do you have any actually personal experiences to share, apart from 'people we know?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, because you need to do better than just saying 'Us'. Who is 'Us'?

Who has seen it in real life...you? Or are you relating stories, tweets, repeated comments you have seen elsewhere?

Do you have any actually personal experiences to share, apart from 'people we know?'

Why do I need to do better than what I've said? Give you a detailed documentary, get eye witness records from friends? Don't be a disingenuous fool, I mean exactly what I said. If you want to plug your fingers in your ears and pretend it's not happening then you go ahead and do that, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Anyway, to answer your question

I haven't witnessed anyone first hand in real life. I've seen abuse hurled at migrants living in our community, people on our regions Facebook pages calling for people to be booted out, a few even going so far as to call for people to get out on the streets and "clean up", people from Boston calling Eastern Europeans scum, had someone barge into a discussion with a local Eastern European telling and telling them that they need to get out of the country, some friends have witnessed people doing much the same in real life too. Also there has been stuff in the local news too.

But you continue pretending that it isn't happening and it's all people making stuff up on Twitter if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger_ArtfulDodger_ Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not seen any of this going on. One of the videos had even been filmed before the result, but presented as filmed today.
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is everybody is racist with each other. Asians are racist towards the Polish and vice versa, the Black and Asian communities and vice versa and some white people telling everybody to go home who doesn't fit the white stereotype. There have been reports in my community too.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the stats - they're minimal.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do I need to do better than what I've said? Give you a detailed documentary, get eye witness records from friends? Don't be a disingenuous fool, I mean exactly what I said. If you want to plug your fingers in your ears and pretend it's not happening then you go ahead and do that, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Anyway, to answer your question

I haven't witnessed anyone first hand in real life. I've seen abuse hurled at migrants living in our community, people on our regions Facebook pages calling for people to be booted out, a few even going so far as to call for people to get out on the streets and "clean up", people from Boston calling Eastern Europeans scum, had someone barge into a discussion with a local Eastern European telling and telling them that they need to get out of the country, some friends have witnessed people doing much the same in real life too. Also there has been stuff in the local news too.

And as I write this, someone now thinks it's OK to post drawings of golliwogs. :-/

But you continue pretending that it isn't happening and it's all people making stuff up on Twitter if it makes you feel better.

BiB

That's all you needed to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    BiB

That's all you needed to say.

Of course it is, ignore the rest then or does harassment online not count, and I'm pretty sure whether people I know are reliable or not.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    'The number of alleged hate crimes'.

No doubt there has been some but so far most have been anecdotal via facebook and I note we've had a couple here in this thread.