Old Manics Fans

PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone is as disillusioned by their new stuff as I am?

Then again I'm a Holy Bible Nutter:D

Its just that I heard their new offering the otherday and actually said out loud "what a pile of crap!"

Just wondering what other fans think. X

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is as disillusioned by their new stuff as I am?

Then again I'm a Holy Bible Nutter:D

Its just that I heard their new offering the otherday and actually said out loud "what a pile of crap!"

Just wondering what other fans think. X

To be honest, in terms of being disillusioned by the manics, nothing will top the EMG era for me. And as such I'm pleasantly surprised whenever they release anything that isn't "Kevin Carter".

The new stuff isn't their best, but far from their worst either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember they've made it their mission to be a commercial pop band, so it's their aim not to be like their older stuff.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't bought anything since Know Your Enemy.

Every album I've heard since has been music by numbers, like they're going through the motions but there's no real substance. One or two songs are still quality but mostly it's all a bit formulaic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I got into the Manics in a big way in 2003 and am a huge fan of their more recent stuff. Send Away The Tigers and Postcards From A Young Man, easily in my top five, and I switch between favouring The Holy Bible and Journal For Plague Lovers.

I can't abide the traditional Manics fan "they don't sound exactly like they did 17 years ago!!!!!" whining, because firstly, well DUH, and secondly every album they've done, with the possible exception of This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours has been a departure, musically and lyrically from the last.

Lets face it, people love to find fault and if they were still making records like The Holy Bible or Generation Terrorist, they'd be criticised for showing no musical development,

They are also a million times better as a live act now than in the nineties. I saw them six times on the last tour (with the also amazing British Sea Power) and they were bloody fantastic. Slash n Burn and My Little Empire as well as Your Love Alone and a good few from PCFAYM? Perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Holy Bible is there best album in some people's mind but.

Why is it I seem too lean more over too Generation Terrorists and Everything Must Go .

I think there new album is great you should here the lyrics very clever.

Like The Godfather 3 we never can escape.That abit like Camron and Clegg abit they never can escape there own faults.
  • Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i first heard the original version of the "you love us" single i loved the band, "stay beautiful" "Motown Junk" are classic tunes as was "motorcycle emptiness", but after that and the loss of Richey my interest wained.
    I remember they did a radio one showcase thing live with bands like Silverfish and Slowdive and also 5'30 on the bill and they just wiped the floor with the lot of them, Nicky Wire on amazing form just slagging them and the fans off and rightly so

I saw Richey and Nicky at Fulham broadway as they were recording the LP and thought they just looked amazing amongst all the baggy shoegazers and casuals that were around at the time,

I don't know wha happened, naybe it was Richey that was the driving force that gave them an edge, but since he left they have become very soft and very uninteresting.
    But then i think many bands should've split long before they did, Oasis being a classic example, they should've quit after the third LP.
  • Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karl Rove wrote: »
    Maybe Holy Bible is there best album in some people's mind but.

Why is it I seem too lean more over too Generation Terrorists and Everything Must Go .

I think there new album is great you should here the lyrics very clever.

Like The Godfather 3 we never can escape.That abit like Camron and Clegg abit they never can escape there own faults.

After all the hype i remember being really let down by the debut LP, it was far to soft for my liking compared to the EP that preceded it.