Options

How much will you spend this Christmas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Either on presents, food, decorations, cards etc

I always spend more than I say I will :D

I get a bit carried away. Also we have a massive family and enjoy buying each other presents.

Comments

• Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £100 at the most.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I can afford.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I can afford.

Same here . Less than last year.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    I'll spend too much. I always do :rolleyes:
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will spend as little as possible. Last year i noticed that LIDL had 10 mini chocolate Father Christmases for £1.00. As my whole family consists of no more than 10 people, I thought split them and give them one each. Ha! I just think its rubbish this orgy of spending we see all supposed to do. Although its nice if you have children I guess.
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    im thinking
    £60 mum
    £60 dad
    £50 sister
    £25 gran
    £25 for one cousin
    £10 on aunts, uncles, other cousins
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have already spent about £120 so far on presents, two rolls of wrapping paper & 24 tags
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as i can afford. I've never felt compelled to spend X amount on certain people "just because it's christmas".

I've known loads of people who have said "Oh no, so-and-so got me something this year so i have to get them something as well" .. err .. no .. you don't !
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    An absolute fortune most probably as I always do. Mines just presents other people supply the food and alcohol :D
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »
    Either on presents, food, decorations, cards etc

I always spend more than I say I will :D

I get a bit carried away. Also we have a massive family and enjoy buying each other presents.
    Think you'll have a very good Christmas:)
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as i can afford. I've never felt compelled to spend X amount on certain people "just because it's christmas".

I've known loads of people who have said "Oh no, so-and-so got me something this year so i have to get them something as well" .. err .. no .. you don't !
    Very true, you don't have to give pressies if you don't want to, but at Christmas it's nice to give something to someone who least expects it. :D
    I had called off Christmas,as things got bad, but will send a few pressies, and already have one for my MIL, and told hub that only present I'd want is a house, and as that doesn't look like happening, then I don't need anything else. But if someone sends me a gift I'd be pleased. :D
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All in all less than 120 pounds on food, drink and presents. I don't send cards, I've no family over here to buy presents for apart from 2 kids and we're going away on Boxing day for a week so don't need to splash out on food or drink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Thankfully, very little compared to the shower of relatives I used to buy things for.

A few people are getting a food/booze hamper and a card, then I'm spoiling my OH rotten. All the new lego star wars kits, nerf guns, new foam LARP swords and an X-Box One

We're going to be indulgent pigs, lay at home nekkid and eat ourselfs to death all day and possibly watching Dr Who. No relatives = no stress.

EDIT - Just reread that middle bit, I should clarify that my OH is legally an adult. 22yo, Male, Mostly sane.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zero. ok that is a bit of lie, I will send 2 cards to the U.S, one for my Dad and that is it.

3 cards in total.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    All in all about £1700, but then we do have four children and host the whole family on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around £4,000 I reckon
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Thankfully, very little compared to the shower of relatives I used to buy things for.

A few people are getting a food/booze hamper and a card, then I'm spoiling my OH rotten. All the new lego star wars kits, nerf guns, new foam LARP swords and an X-Box One

We're going to be indulgent pigs, lay at home nekkid and eat ourselfs to death all day and possibly watching Dr Who. No relatives = no stress.

EDIT - Just reread that middle bit, I should clarify that my OH is legally an adult. 22yo, Male, Mostly sane.

Your Christmas sounds perfect:)
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Probably about £1200 in all with the food, but I do a savings club with work and have saved all year. I don't spend over what I have saved so I don't get into a mess.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Very true, you don't have to give pressies if you don't want to, but at Christmas it's nice to give something to someone who least expects it. :D
    I had called off Christmas,as things got bad, but will send a few pressies, and already have one for my MIL, and told hub that only present I'd want is a house, and as that doesn't look like happening, then I don't need anything else. But if someone sends me a gift I'd be pleased. :D

I've certainly bought things for people before because I've seen something I knew they'd previously mentioned or something random that I knew they'd like. I never really buy to receive, but I do think far too many people do and it ends up becoming something akin to UN peace negotiations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joined Costco today and reckon that might help keep the costs down!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I can, I like Christmas.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably spend about £1400 including food. I save up all year so I don't have to worry when Christmas arrives and can just enjoy it.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £0.
    Other than the normal bills for drinks/food etc that I would spend normally...£0. Xmas is just a bank holiday without trains or buses so you can't go anywhere.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    £1000-1500
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Around £3000 on presents and £300 on food and drink