just had a complaint about my cat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
Forum Member
I've just had a neighbour who lives 2 doors down from me but who has never bothered to introduce herself until now, come and shout me down at my own front door because apparently my cat is pooing in her garden. when I said, well she's an outdoor cat, there's not much I can do sorry, she said cats should have litter trays - which of course my cat does, which I told her. she then said untrained cats shouldn't be allowed out?! my cat is trained...

so basically what do I do? I've offered to go and pick them up, but no that doesn't suit her as she doesn't want to run up all the time (it honestly cannot be that often as my cat still uses her tray daily) so what else can I do? I've apologised but I can't keep my cat in, and now am worried she's going to hurt her.

should I go to her door with cat repellent spray, or just forget it?

Comments

• BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Can she prove it's your cat ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    well I suppose not. my cat is very distinct, ginger with a bright pink collar so people probably notice her. there's not many cats in our neighbourhood, maybe 3, but there are a lot of foxes and other wildlife that could be going in her garden. she was just so cheeky, it surprised me and now it's made me rethink letting nala out (she's only been getting out for about 5 months) and I really don't want to do that!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Tell her to prove it with photographs.

Cats are wild animals and she should keep her nose out.
    Forum Member
    the thing is, shes pregnant so I totally understand why she wouldn't want to pick it up, which is why I offered, but I don't want to be going down there picking up other people's cats shit! I'm thinking I keep nala in for the next few days and see if she comes back. she's been at my door 5 times in the past 3 days, chapping like the police but I've been too busy with my baby to answer (another thing she had a go at me for!)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    missrae wrote: »
    the thing is, shes pregnant so I totally understand why she wouldn't want to pick it up, which is why I offered, but I don't want to be going down there picking up other people's cats shit! I'm thinking I keep nala in for the next few days and see if she comes back. she's been at my door 5 times in the past 3 days, chapping like the police but I've been too busy with my baby to answer (another thing she had a go at me for!)

She sounds a right bitch. People like that should be ignored.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had no right to have a go at you, she sounds like a miserable bitch. There is always the worry that if you argue back or don't keep the cat in, she will hurt or poison the cat. I know that sounds horrible, but it's true, because some people are absolute arseholes when they dislike an animal, believe me we've had trouble before with a neighbour. I'd try and be civil and nice and keep an eye on her.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds a right bitch. People like that should be ignored.
    Yeah, she's just awful. How mean of her to get pregnant where the OP's cat wants to shit. :rolleyes:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/catlitterexpert/
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Go and pick up, its the least you can do, ask her to shoo it away if it comes back, or perhaps offer to go halves on a sonic device, there is nothing worse than other peoples pets poop in your own garden.

Most of the time our dog sees off the cats round here, next door have anything up to a dozen cats at any one time, but once in a while the damn things still come in and poop.

A responsible cat owner will not allow their animals to disrupt their neighbours.
    Forum Member
    deb arkle - I'm fully aware it isn't safe to have contact with cat poo when my pregnant, I've got a 6 month old and I never went near the cat litter when pregnant, so I totally understand where she's coming from, which is why I offered to go and pick it up if my cat does the toilet in her garden but she doesn't want to walk 2 doors up to get me (although she was quite happy to walk up 5 times in the past 3 days)

I just think it would be so unfair to keep my cat in, she loves the outdoors but I can't follow her around making sure she isn't shitting in the neighbours gardens.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 how do you suggest I become more responsible? I was completely unaware of anything until today when she came to my door and I offered more than once to pick it up. should I just not let the cat out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Go and pick up, its the least you can do, ask her to shoo it away if it comes back, or perhaps offer to go halves on a sonic device, there is nothing worse than other peoples pets poop in your own garden.

Most of the time our dog sees off the cats round here, next door have anything up to a dozen cats at any one time, but once in a while the damn things still come in and poop.

A responsible cat owner will not allow their animals to disrupt their neighbours.

I'm sorry but that is an unfair comment. I am a responsible cat owner, my cats have the best lives a cat could ask for, but if my cat poos in the neighbours garden, that wouldn't make me an irresponisible cat owner. Can you imagine how hard it is to stop a cat going out and pooing in the neighbours garden? What is the OP supposed to do? Keep her cat in 24/7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deb arkle - I'm fully aware it isn't safe to have contact with cat poo when my pregnant, I've got a 6 month old and I never went near the cat litter when pregnant, so I totally understand where she's coming from, which is why I offered to go and pick it up if my cat does the toilet in her garden but she doesn't want to walk 2 doors up to get me (although she was quite happy to walk up 5 times in the past 3 days)

I just think it would be so unfair to keep my cat in, she loves the outdoors but I can't follow her around making sure she isn't shitting in the neighbours gardens.

I wasn't annoyed at you, OP - your response seemed fair to me, as you're happy to sort it out for her. It's those on here who think everyone should welcome other people's cats into their lives who I take issue with.
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    [/B]

I'm sorry but that is an unfair comment. I am a responsible cat owner, my cats have the best lives a cat could ask for, but if my cat poos in the neighbours garden, that wouldn't make me an irresponisible cat owner. Can you imagine how hard it is to stop a cat going out and pooing in the neighbours garden? What is the OP supposed to do? Keep her cat in 24/7?

It can be done - or you can build a cat run quite easily, so the cat gets the best of both worlds.

I don't dislike cats, but they are increasingly becoming a problem for non-cat owners (hence the reason so many are being poisoned now - not something I'd ever do, I hasten to add, but I can see where it's coming from).
    Forum Member
    cobwebsoup - that is exactly my fear! however she doesn't the type to be reasoned with, I've kept my poor cat in all day in this lovely weather.

deb arkle - no problem, just so you knew I understand where she's coming from!

as for keeping her in, I just think it would so cruel, she loves the outdoors, my next door neighbour loves her as she's so friendly - saying that however I'm happy for these other neighbours to squirt her with a water pistol to deter her if they see her doing the toilet in their garden.

my mum is coming round to speak to her later since I'm a big wimp, to see if we can find a solution since she isn't happy with my offer to pick it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I wasn't annoyed at you, OP - your response seemed fair to me, as you're happy to sort it out for her. It's those on here who think everyone should welcome other people's cats into their lives who I take issue with.

It can be done - or you can build a cat run quite easily, so the cat gets the best of both worlds.

I don't dislike cats, but they are increasingly becoming a problem for non-cat owners (hence the reason so many are being poisoned now - not something I'd ever do, I hasten to add, but I can see where it's coming from).

I don't think that everyone should welcome other peoples cats into their lives, but the woman who came round to the OPs house sounded quite rude. She could have asked in a nicer, more polite way. I see your point about the problem, but it's not easy trying to keep a cat indoors when it wants to go out, it can actually stress them out. It's a difficult situation to be in, not sure what I'd do if I was the OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup - that is exactly my fear! however she doesn't the type to be reasoned with, I've kept my poor cat in all day in this lovely weather.

deb arkle - no problem, just so you knew I understand where she's coming from!

as for keeping her in, I just think it would so cruel, she loves the outdoors, my next door neighbour loves her as she's so friendly - saying that however I'm happy for these other neighbours to squirt her with a water pistol to deter her if they see her doing the toilet in their garden.

my mum is coming round to speak to her later since I'm a big wimp, to see if we can find a solution since she isn't happy with my offer to pick it up.

Good well I hope the situation gets resolved. Do let us know what happens :)
    Forum Member
    I will do!
    Forum Member
    well my mums just been to talk to her and she was rude and not willing to compromise. my mum offered to buy her the repellant spray, nope didn't want to be fussed with that, she them offered to buy her one of those cardboard cats meant to scare off cats, nope didn't want that in her garden. she said of she saw the cat in her garden again she'd fling boiling water over her.

her only solution is she wants me to keep my cat in. I feel like crying, feel so sorry for my cat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief, she's definitely being unreasonable! Hopefully it's all talk, OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought female cats like to go closer to home, its males that might poop further away. Foxes like to leave theirs all exposed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well my mums just been to talk to her and she was rude and not willing to compromise. my mum offered to buy her the repellant spray, nope didn't want to be fussed with that, she them offered to buy her one of those cardboard cats meant to scare off cats, nope didn't want that in her garden. she said of she saw the cat in her garden again she'd fling boiling water over her.

her only solution is she wants me to keep my cat in. I feel like crying, feel so sorry for my cat.

What a vile human being. If she does that, get her done for animal cruelty. What a horrible woman. Sorry it didn't go better OP.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go round and tell her if your cat gets injured you will contact the RSPCA and tell exactly what she has said.

Tell her to read up about cats and get a life

I love my cat and he has a cat tray and uses it everyday and prob poops in others gardens but nothing i can do about it, i will not be keeping my cat indoors when he is an outdoorsy cat if i had to do that i would give him up, i dont believe cats and dogs should be kept in all day every day.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 how do you suggest I become more responsible? I was completely unaware of anything until today when she came to my door and I offered more than once to pick it up. should I just not let the cat out?

Cats are quite happy to live in the home, if it is pooping in her garden on a regular basis then yes, it is the responsible thing to do something about it.

A cat aviary in the garden is a very good way to placate neighbours, the cat gets fresh air and does not ruin neighbours gardens. It is part of cat ownership, not letting them poop in neighbours gardens.

She shoudl never have said she woudl hurt the cat of course, but I know how upsetting it can be to have a cat poop in your garden, either with the kids treading in it, digging it up , the dog eating it, the list goes on, my neighbours cat even pooped on one of our garden chairs, if a pet annoys a neighbour then alternatives should be looked at.

Perhaps she has calmed down enough for you to talk to her tomorrow so you can come to an agreement.
    Forum Member
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    [/B]

Yes it would, no animals should go into another property and poop, there are other alternatives, not everyone likes cats, I hate them coming into my garden, why should I get my hands covered in filth or have my dog eat poop from another pet owners animal?? Cat aviaries are the answer.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so keen on the RSPCA these days but ...

Cruelty Hotline: 0300 1234 999
    Forum Member
    my cat will be an extremely unhappy cat being an indoor cat but it's what I'm going to have to do, although she may be all talk I just don't want to risk it. I don't have the money or the time to set up a cat run at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.