will lady gaga under perform again?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna has been bigger than Gaga for a long time. There's no one bigger in pop.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Rihanna has been bigger than Gaga for a long time. There's no one bigger in pop.

I always get the impression that Rihanna is in the ascendancy and Gaga has gone backwards and probably peaked too soon.Her new album may be really good but I still don't see it selling as well as her previous albums
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope ARTPOP goes back to basics and she stops being so pretentious...

Pity she doesn't call it AgitProp, that would really get some of you guys thinking.....probably not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who actually cares about Lady Gaga anymore? She's so 3 years go
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you obviously do because you comment on every thread about her :o
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I always get the impression that Rihanna is in the ascendancy and Gaga has gone backwards and probably peaked too soon.Her new album may be really good but I still don't see it selling as well as her previous albums

Rihanna can't be in the ascendancy when four albums later she has still yet to match the success of GGGB. Even since Loud she has took a significant decrease in both album and single success. Loud sold six million copies worldwide, and scored four US Top 10 hits, including three #1's. Now compare that to Talk That Talk and Unapologetic...

Now that I'm trying to say Rihanna is fading or her success waning, but the idea that she is ever increasing in success and popularity is completely false.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Rihanna can't be in the ascendancy when four albums later she has still yet to match the success of GGGB. Even since Loud she has took a significant decrease in both album and single success. Loud sold six million copies worldwide, and scored four US Top 10 hits, including three #1's. Now compare that to Talk That Talk and Unapologetic...

Now that I'm trying to say Rihanna is fading or her success waning, but the idea that she is ever increasing in success and popularity is completely false.

Well not in the ascendency but certainly not in anyway decreasing every album since GGGB has sold 3M or more whilst not huge sales for this day and age to get sales that consistent with at least 2 major hits if not more is no small achievement. i just cant see Gaga being that consistent 8 years into her own career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Record sales are declining and the same thing will likely happen to Gaga, Adele, Katy Perry etc. I'm not a huge Rihanna fan to be honest but as an observer I think she's at a level above Gaga right now. I think people are a bit fatigued where Gaga is concerned and she peaked too soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Well not in the ascendency but certainly not in anyway decreasing every album since GGGB has sold 3M or more whilst not huge sales for this day and age to get sales that consistent with at least 2 major hits if not more is no small achievement. i just cant see Gaga being that consistent 8 years into her own career.

Aye. As I stated in post 11 - Rihanna has indeed so far had great consistency in her career, with a couple of positive exceptions, but ever increasing she is not.

Eight years of Gaga is only three years away. Now will she be having a Rihanna like consistent level of success seven albums in? All most certainly not. Album Seven is likely to be more than a decade away!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye. As I stated in post 11 - Rihanna has indeed so far had great consistency in her career, with a couple of positive exceptions, but ever increasing she is not.

Exactly but i think it more likely that she would have another GGGb over Gaga having another TF/TFM type era in terms of sccesses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly but i think it more likely that she would have another GGGb over Gaga having another TF/TFM type era in terms of sccesses.

I think your almost certainly right. But then GGGB's sales of 7m is a much more reachable target then The Fame / Monsters c.sixteen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think your almost certainly right. But then GGGB's sales of 7m is a much more reachable target then The Fame / Monsters c.sixteen.

True but half of those sales are 3 albums combined in relaity its TF, TFm, and the double disc TFM Deluxe. But that said i still see her next album hitting 3-5 and decreasing.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh for goodness sake, you sound like Perez Hilton:mad:
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but half of those sales are 3 albums combined in relaity its TF, TFm, and the double disc TFM Deluxe. But that said i still see her next album hitting 3-5 and decreasing.

To be fair GGGB was re-released more times than TF/TFM. I think in total it had six different editions.

That said Rihanna is primary a singles artist anyway so her success is pretty one sided. She is a machine on that front.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »

Interesting observation, in that Rihanna emerged just over 3 years before Lady Gaga.

Fiona Sadler on Key 103 said this afternoon that Lady G is due to make a comeback in August.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year we'll really see who Queen Bee is. Rihanna's era is already obviously well underway* with Gaga, Katy and Beyonce (who I'm sure will be hoping for less 4, more Sasha Fierce level success this time around) all releasing this year. Wigs will be snatched. So long as Adele doesn't release that is...

*with Unapologetic's sales currently standing at 3.1m WW and 600k in the UK for reference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    So, RedOne has confirmed he hasn't worked on ARTPOP.

I'm glad. They've made great music together, but it was time to move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In one word YES! She is a touring performer, people like to watch her not 2 listen 2 her.

I'm not so sure. She was giving away tickets to the second Twickenham date, struggling to sell out all her North American venues and the South American dates were a disaster really. I really do think ARTPOP will be a pivotal point in her career. I know Cake and that vibe song may not be on the album but if they reflect the albums sound then I don't hold out much hope
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The right decision. The only songs of great international note he has produced in the last 24 months are On The Floor and Starships anyway. Of course a couple of album tracks by him would be quite welcome but the days of RedOne international smashes are seemingly over (however much JLO struggles to understand that).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is taking note most definitely...so yeah i am pleased to read this :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know how big a role Fernando Garibay's has yet? Seeing as he was Creative Director of BTW, I'm kinda hoping it's minimal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know how big a role Fernando Garibay's has yet? Seeing as he was Creative Director of BTW, I'm kinda hoping it's minimal.

I heard ARTPOP is mostly DJWS and Zedd. I think Garibay works well with Gaga and was involved in her best song IMO (dance in the dark) I much prefer his work to DJWS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    The right decision. The only songs of great international note he has produced in the last 24 months are On The Floor and Starships anyway. Of course a couple of album tracks by him would be quite welcome but the days of RedOne international smashes are seemingly over (however much JLO struggles to understand that).

Yup.

It was obvious that she had moved on from him when they still hadn't got together by March. I guess it says more that the label haven't pushed them for a safe hit. Or, maybe they no longer view him as a provider of such.

They worked together back in 2011 when the album was about the decay of blonde icons, but rumour has it she has since dropped those songs and him.

It seems to be DJWS and Zedd who will get the most tracks on ARTPOP, with Madeon featuring and other supposedly unannounced producers in support. Apparently including a female.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is in that artist drag period, when its critical that she release the album at the right time. She could in effect sell more with the new album, than any album before, if its done right. As she has picked up more and more fans with her current material, they will be primmed to jump on board with the new album. But if she leaves it too long, those new fans will wane as well as old ones, as she isnt doing anything anymore. Too soon and she fluffs her load and continues to oversaturate an already dying genre, too late and she has sunk into obscurity. But if she gets it right, then she could further her already impressive success.

Thats my retarded take on it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They worked together back in 2011 when the album was about the decay of blonde icons, but rumour has it she has since dropped those songs and him.

It seems to be DJWS and Zedd who will get the most tracks on ARTPOP, with Madeon featuring and other supposedly unannounced producers in support. Apparently including a female.
    TH14 wrote: »
    I heard ARTPOP is mostly DJWS and Zedd. I think Garibay works well with Gaga and was involved in her best song IMO (dance in the dark) I much prefer his work to DJWS

Thank you both for your replies.