Options

Microsoft, who makes these decsions?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Anyone else hear the allegations that MS were paying third party developers not to show their games at the PS4 launch? Not just on stage, but in the booths?
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    I think they're trying to be forward thinking and putting a system in place now for what's going to happen in future. We all know that eventually high speed Internet will be the norm and all games will be bought/delivered digitally rather than on disc. They probably see this as a first step but it's too soon really.
    It sounds like they saw it as being like Steam, with the added advantage of being able to install from disk to save download times. If the box had not included a disk slot at all, the DRM policies would have not seemed so bad. Provided the games were cheap.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    It sounds like they saw it as being like Steam, with the added advantage of being able to install from disk to save download times. If the box had not included a disk slot at all, the DRM policies would have not seemed so bad. Provided the games were cheap.

Yeah I think they've seen Steam and think they can get away with it too. What they don't seem to realise is you can leave Steam offline for weeks without worrying about it not working, PC games are cheaper, they come down in price quicker and then there's the Steam sale where titles get huge discounts.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    Yeah I think they've seen Steam and think they can get away with it too. What they don't seem to realise is you can leave Steam offline for weeks without worrying about it not working, PC games are cheaper, they come down in price quicker and then there's the Steam sale where titles get huge discounts.

Also id wager the average PC gamer has a lot more disposable income than your average console gamer. I mean just to buy and keep a PC running to play the latest games costs far more than to do it on console.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »

You can install from disk on Steam
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also id wager the average PC gamer has a lot more disposable income than your average console gamer. I mean just to buy and keep a PC running to play the latest games costs far more than to do it on console.

I must have spend about £800 on my PC in the last 4-5 years.

I bet console owners have bought laptops for that amount over the years! It just happens that PC gamers know laptops are expensive for gaming and buy DESKTOPS!

Its a myth that PC gaming is expensive. I can still run the latest games top res and high detail on a Q6600 PC! Now thats OLD!
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have spend about £800 on my PC in the last 4-5 years.

I bet console owners have bought laptops for that amount over the years! It just happens that PC gamers know laptops are expensive for gaming and buy DESKTOPS!

Its a myth that PC gaming is expensive. I can still run the latest games top res and high detail on a Q6600 PC! Now thats OLD!
    Crysis 3? Hitman Absolution? What resolution and GPU do you have because even a GTX Titan cannot run Crysis 3 on max settings at 1080p60 on a rig with an Intel Core i7-3960X @ 3.9GHz with 8GB of DDR3 @ 2000MHz.
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft, who makes these decisions?

Mr Burns.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently have PS3 and Xbox 360 but always use the Xbox 360 if the games are on both because the PS3 is just such a bad experience to use, you can never just put a game disc in and play i had to wait 3 hours to play GT5 :( why FFS i have the disc in my hand.... Insert disc, an update is required , ok, cannot install update, system update required, wait ages for system update, then try game again, update required, then wait another 2 hours for the update to download, the wait for update to install and it seems to be every game i ever play on it. Had to wait almost an hour just to install the netflix app a few weeks ago. Yet on the xbox the updates seem very very small and quick.

But the more i read about the Xbox One, the more i think i'm just going to either give up console gaming or just put up with what will be a bad experience on the PS4 if PS3 is anything to go by.

Windows 8, Windows Mobile 8, Xbox One, are Microsoft just pumping out sewage now? Out of touch with what consumers want is an understatement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    but they don't need it and that is the problem, there is no reason to stay connected or even connect once. No benefit to the gamer. Lots of benefits to Microsoft, data mining, TV history customised ads etc

The big benefit with online connection is disc-less DRM. Now I can just have all my games available to play without having to hunt for a disc! That is probably the biggest thing I am looking forward to.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The install times of GT 5 was bad on the PS3. But it is an exception.

GT 5 required (well optional really) 8GB of installation. What does the average Xbox One title require??
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big benefit with online connection is disc-less DRM. Now I can just have all my games available to play without having to hunt for a disc! That is probably the biggest thing I am looking forward to.

Really? My discs sit right by my console. I never really have to look. If I did it would take all of 1 minute. Unless you are being sarcastic....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So in 2/3 years when the market is mostly downloads they are going to just turn it off because that would no longer be a benefit to the customer

You can think up any number of reasons this is good for you or how it benefits you but the truth is MS didn't design it for you and couldn't give a shit if it good for you or not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? My discs sit right by my console. I never really have to look. If I did it would take all of 1 minute. Unless you are being sarcastic....

Yeah, still cant find one of my discs I wanted to play the other day! :D
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, still cant find one of my discs I wanted to play the other day! :D

You should have put it back in its proper box then :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    You should have put it back in its proper box then :p

I just need to remember the order I played the games in, then follow the trail! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its a real shame they couldnt allow the disc to authenticate the install data should the internet go down for a few days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just need to remember the order I played the games in, then follow the trail! :D

Not putting the disc back in the box or putting it in the wrong box is a real pet peeve of mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Its a real shame they couldnt allow the disc to authenticate the install data should the internet go down for a few days.

That is a good idea, but it breaks the DRM and would allow unauthorised used game sales and duplication. People would just not connect and then swap discs with each other, allowing the original owner to play while connected.