Options

Kamelion

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
I often cited that several things in 80's Who were poorly executed on screen for me, Kamelion was the ultimate example of that.

If it had been done properly there's no doubt Kamelion would have been very useful in his time on board the TARDIS. You could almost imagine him being used in a spy related way to infiltrate the baddies to help The Doctor.

Unfortunately it was anything but mobile, though some of this was down to the death of it's main operator which didn't to help either. That JNT thought he could use it at all seems unbelievable!

I did like the two stores Kamelion was in, though for me The King's Demons was better as far as he was concerned. I liked Gerald Flood's vocals on the character and I also enjoyed the battle with The Doctor and The Master to win him over, but that was as about as good as it got with the character.

:)

Comments

• Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from the technical issues with the prop, the big problem with Kamelion was that a robot which could imitate anyone was too much of a "Get out of jail free" card. When the DWM comic strip introduced its own shape-shifting companion, Frobisher, the writers ended-up giving him "monomorphia" to keep him stuck in penguin-form and thus get around the convenience of having him solve every capture situation with shape-shifting.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Kamelion as an independent being was barely represented on screen since he was almost constantly under the control of the Master. The best cybernetic companion the Doctor never had.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    They could have simply had him morph into a specific form and stay like that, shape shifting when the story required it and occasionally into his robot form.

He could have worked if they had funds for an additional actor.

I don't think that morphing is a get out of jail free card necessarily, on a positive spin, it opens possibilities up even further imo.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I don't think that morphing is a get out of jail free card necessarily, on a positive spin, it opens possibilities up even further imo.
    Considering some of the reactions to the sonic screwdriver being pulled out every five minutes, can you imagine the reaction Kamelion would get today?!

The problem with it is that it opens up too many possibilities. There are too many situations that can be easily resolved by imitating someone else, they'd have to find ways of limiting the ability. Something like only being able to do it while within the TARDIS, or needing a live psychic link like Prisoner Zero.

The other problem is for the viewer - it's difficult to follow and relate to a character that looks and acts different in every story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Considering some of the reactions to the sonic screwdriver being pulled out every five minutes, can you imagine the reaction Kamelion would get today?!

The problem with it is that it opens up too many possibilities. There are too many situations that can be easily resolved by imitating someone else, they'd have to find ways of limiting the ability. Something like only being able to do it while within the TARDIS, or needing a live psychic link like Prisoner Zero.

The other problem is for the viewer - it's difficult to follow and relate to a character that looks and acts different in every story.

I was thinking more about having a regular actor playing his 'chosen' look and then shape shift when the story needed it which might not have been that often, also a human form would have provided a better connection for the viewers in times of peril. Bearing in mind, imo, how little K9 was utilised as a get out clause, I don't think that it would have been a problem. Apart from Pertwee, the sonic wasn't used that much in the classic series really, so I would imagine that they probably wouldn't have over utilised the shape shifting ability.

Something like, needing a power supply to keep a shape in place and when out of the Tardis, K had only limited power to hold it would be a good way.

I'm not sure that there were too many possibilities but imo you can't have too many in the pool can you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Something like, needing a power supply to keep a shape in place and when out of the Tardis, K had only limited power to hold it would be a good way.

I'm not sure that there were too many possibilities but imo you can't have too many in the pool can you?
    The problem occurs when you have to keep coming up with reasons (or keep repeating the same reasons) why someone can't just fix all the problems with their trademark superpower.

It's like having Superman in the Justice League - he's so much more powerful than the other characters, they have to keep coming up with reasons to de-power him or otherwise keep him restrained so that the others have a chance to do something.

And with that, I have crossed the geek event horizon.

Kamelion, or something like him, could work, but I think writing for him would get tiring fast.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Kamelion was such a missed opportunity. :(
    Although I did love his big reveal in The King's Demons, where the King's voice is echoing down the halls singing on the lute, then we see that it's actually an android. There was something very eerie about it.

They could have done so much with him, making him a bit more sinister or at least likeable, but he was just an overall annoying pain in the arse.
    He was only in two stories and I'd already had enough of him by his second one. By the end I was thinking 'If you don't kill him Doctor, then I will!' :mad:

I'd put him in the list of top 5 most annoying companions from the classic series: Mel, Adric, Kamelion, Susan, Katarina
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't this thread be capable of impersonating other threads?

_
    | \
    [x]

**wipes down the bar and pulls a pint of Gallifreyan Ale**
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't this thread be capable of impersonating other threads?

_
    | \
    [x]

**wipes down the bar and pulls a pint of Gallifreyan Ale**

I feel I should have put a tune in just to make it seem more Kamelion like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOQrogXytc

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

And with that, I have crossed the geek event horizon.

:D:D:D

Welcome, the food isn't bad but the showers are a bit chilly!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main problem with Kamelion is that while the concept was great it was always going to be almost impossible to deliver on the potential for the character. Even now they would struggle, let alone with the technology available within the budget back in the 1980's. Bit of a shame really.

I do very much like The King's Demons though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from the technical issues with the prop, the big problem with Kamelion was that a robot which could imitate anyone was too much of a "Get out of jail free" card. When the DWM comic strip introduced its own shape-shifting companion, Frobisher, the writers ended-up giving him "monomorphia" to keep him stuck in penguin-form and thus get around the convenience of having him solve every capture situation with shape-shifting.
    It's like having Superman in the Justice League - he's so much more powerful than the other characters, they have to keep coming up with reasons to de-power him or otherwise keep him restrained so that the others have a chance to do something.

Agree with both of these comments. Had Kamelion been working properly, it would have got boring using his shapeshifting ability every episode, and yes, it would have to be used sparingly otherwise the viewer would most likely get bored.

I remember with the Superman TV Series in the 90's, they always seemed to use some ploy to stop him using his powers against the villains for three quarters of the episode otherwise it would be story over before they begun. Kamelion would probably have to have been something similar.

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I don't even think of Kamelion as a companion, because he only appeared in two stories which were not consecutive. You might as well count Sabalom Glitz. Admittedly, Kamelion was in the TARDIS during the intervening period, but not only did we never see him, the others never even seemed to mention him. When he re-appeared in Planet of Fire, I'd actually nearly forgotten him.

(And yes, I know the reasons why he wasn't used. But the fact is, he wasn't)
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Main problem with Kamelion is that while the concept was great it was always going to be almost impossible to deliver on the potential for the character. Even now they would struggle, let alone with the technology available within the budget back in the 1980's. Bit of a shame really.

You mean stuff like the Tesselector conveniently creating a motorcycle offscreen?

I'm tempted to say that Kamelion was a bad idea from start to finish — he was always either going to be a special effects nightmare or undermine the plot, and I'm surprised they added him even after (I think?) JNT had specifically killed off the sonic screwdriver because of the problems it created in ever putting the Doctor in peril.

I guess they were just trying to come up with a way to create a more interesting companion, during the period when the Doctor already had the most non-human companions.
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I don't even think of Kamelion as a companion, because he only appeared in two stories which were not consecutive. You might as well count Sabalom Glitz. Admittedly, Kamelion was in the TARDIS during the intervening period, but not only did we never see him, the others never even seemed to mention him. When he re-appeared in Planet of Fire, I'd actually nearly forgotten him.

Davey probably will.. :D

It's been years since I've seen either story, so can't really give a good appraisal of Kamelion, other than it was an idea that didn't really work as far as I can remember. JNT did seem to have a lot of mad ideas..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I accept you don't Dave, but just in case there's any doubt....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/companions/page28.shtml

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kamelion

http://imdoctorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/companions-kamelion-gerald-flood-voice.html

Davey probably will.. :D

I wasn't going to but now you mention it.........;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, the BBC count him as an official companion. But then don't they also count Astrid?
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often cited that several things in 80's Who were poorly executed on screen for me, Kamelion was the ultimate example of that.

If it had been done properly there's no doubt Kamelion would have been very useful in his time on board the TARDIS. You could almost imagine him being used in a spy related way to infiltrate the baddies to help The Doctor.

Unfortunately it was anything but mobile, though some of this was down to the death of it's main operator which didn't to help either. That JNT thought he could use it at all seems unbelievable!

I did like the two stores Kamelion was in, though for me The King's Demons was better as far as he was concerned. I liked Gerald Flood's vocals on the character and I also enjoyed the battle with The Doctor and The Master to win him over, but that was as about as good as it got with the character.

I also loved Gerald Flood's voice.
    Kamelion was such a missed opportunity. :(
    Although I did love his big reveal in The King's Demons, where the King's voice is echoing down the halls singing on the lute, then we see that it's actually an android. There was something very eerie about it.

They could have done so much with him, making him a bit more sinister or at least likeable, but he was just an overall annoying pain in the arse.
    He was only in two stories and I'd already had enough of him by his second one. By the end I was thinking 'If you don't kill him Doctor, then I will!' :mad:

I'd put him in the list of top 5 most annoying companions from the classic series: Mel, Adric, Kamelion, Susan, Katarina

I can't agree with puting Kamelion in the same bracket as the truley awful Mel and Adric (may as well add Susan to).
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    If they genuinely still wanted three companions for Peter Davison's final season they should have:

hired an actor to be Kamelion's 'standard' human form (and so do away with the need for the robot that didn't work properly). This way, the Doctor would essentially have had a human companion who could change form.

or

Had a different human form every week, essentially giving the programme a 'new' companion for each story whilst it always, essentially, being the same companion (Kamelion).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the BBC count him as an official companion. But then don't they also count Astrid?

That's a bit of a grey area that one. As she only appeared in one story she probably wasn't viewed as such. If that story had been made today, they probably would have counted her as such since the definition of who and who isn't a companion has changed so much in the New Series. :)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit of a grey area that one. As she only appeared in one story she probably wasn't viewed as such. If that story had been made today, they probably would have counted her as such since the definition of who and who isn't a companion has changed so much in the New Series. :)

It's publicity driven. It makes a good headline and gets people watching to say Kylie Minogue is going to be a companion, when in fact she's just appearing in one episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. And that's why I don't think that the BBC defining someone as a companion counts. There has to be some kind of criteria one can apply consistently.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who monthly (decades ago) once did an article about who is and is not a Doctor Who companion. They had come up with some criteria, which included:
    • must have travelled in the TARDIS at least once
    • must have appeared in more than one story
    I think for new Who you could probably add:
    • must have had the actor's name in the opening credits
    I do think it was a bit simpler in the old days. Nowadays its a bit messier. For instance, Martha was considered the first black companion . . . but technically, that was Mickey. And is Rose's mum a companion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is like defining who your friends are.
    How do you decide which of your acquaintances should be left out?
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Doctor Who monthly (decades ago) once did an article about who is and is not a Doctor Who companion. They had come up with some criteria, which included:
    • must have travelled in the TARDIS at least once
    • must have appeared in more than one story
    I think for new Who you could probably add:
    • must have had the actor's name in the opening credits
    I do think it was a bit simpler in the old days. Nowadays its a bit messier. For instance, Martha was considered the first black companion . . . but technically, that was Mickey. And is Rose's mum a companion?

My brain hurts.:eek: