Best female UK vocalist right now??

Comments

• Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Her royalty check after this season of American Idol is going to be HUGE! So far her songs have been covered at least once per episode and used as background music.

I was thinking that haha. They seem to be jumping all over Nobody's Perfect.

I'd have to pop another vote for Leona Lewis. Such an incredible voice!
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right now? As in not dead?

Amy Studt is one of my favourites.
    Rumer has a gorgeous voice, reminiscent of Karen Carpenter.
    Nerina Pallot is real quirky and sings a ballad beautifully.
    Kate Bush is a legend, she is amazing.

If you were talking about warblers who like to scream then I'm not sure.

I'll come back with more. :) A lot of the chart females are too over saturated and just not that good really.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is going to be between Emeilie Sande and Adele.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    If we're talking vocalists on a technical level.... hmm, probably Jessie J, as much as I disdain her. She has a very dexterous voice and quite a large range when she gets going.

On a technical level? Then it must be Cher Lloyd, obviously.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wash your mouth out with water! Diluted Joss Stone?! Have another listen perhaps...

Yeah, I guess Joss is just too mainstream so she must automatically be terrible...:rolleyes:

I wonder how much you'd like Jo Harman if she were as successful as say Emeli Sande?
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straying away from some of the more mainstream answers (not that mainstream is bad), I think the following are very talented British vocalists:

Bebe Black
    Kyla La Grange
    Lucy Rose

Oh, and Amy MacDonald.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Nadine Coyle.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Straying away from some of the more mainstream answers (not that mainstream is bad), I think the following are very talented British vocalists:

Bebe Black
    Kyla La Grange
    Lucy Rose

Oh, and Amy MacDonald.

I just listened to those and I really like Bebe Black's voice, her voice actually reminds me a little of the female singer from La Roux.

I also quite like Kyla La Grange aswell, not keen on Lucy Rose, nice voice but I found the song boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    Nadine Coyle.

I really think she is overrated by some people, she can sing but is nothing special, well for me anyway.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I really think she is overrated by some people, she can sing but is nothing special, well for me anyway.

she`s a decent singer within girls aloud, but her solo material was pretty weak. have you heard the leak from the `2.0 era?:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    she`s a decent singer within girls aloud, but her solo material was pretty weak. have you heard the leak from the `2.0 era?:o

Yeah I have, the beginning makes me laugh so much,

"Oh! For me? Oh you shouldn't have, oh flowers, chocolates, oh you really shouldn't have, really really shouldn't have." :D

It is pretty bad. lol
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Yeah I have, the beginning makes me laugh so much,

"Oh! For me? Oh you shouldn't have, oh flowers, chocolates, oh you really shouldn't have, really really shouldn't have." :D

It is pretty bad. lol

oh nadine, you really really shouldn't have.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    oh nadine, you really really shouldn't have.:o

:D:D
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the best is a tie between Alexandra Burke and Leona lewis at the moment, both for different reasons. Alexandra has soul, raw power and versatility whilst leona has amazing technical abilities and a huge range. I love both equally and don't think there are any UK female's that can compete with both ladies right now.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    paulbax wrote: »
    I'd say the best is a tie between Alexandra Burke and Leona lewis at the moment, both for different reasons. Alexandra has soul, raw power and versatility whilst leona has amazing technical abilities and a huge range. I love both equally and don't think there are any UK female's that can compete with both ladies right now.

This. Also neither's voice breaks singing their own songs or covers by legends :D
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess Joss is just too mainstream so she must automatically be terrible...:rolleyes:

I wonder how much you'd like Jo Harman if she were as successful as say Emeli Sande?

No...Joss Stone is fine...she has good voice...but I wouldn't say its better than Jo Harman. Jo can sing a wider range of styles for one thing.

If Jo was as big as Emili...honestly...not sure. I think her talent is bigger than most female artists at the minute, so she deserves to be heard on every radio station in the world. Her album is as good as anything else you will hear right now. At the same time, you almost want them to stay low key, so you know something not everyone else does!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emeli Sande

Amy Winehouse

Nicola Roberts ( best singer in Girls Aloud)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if anything, this certainly isn't in the running....:o:o
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »

+1...:)
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

Bebe Black
    Kyla La Grange
    Lucy Rose

Oh, and Amy MacDonald.

Thanks for those tips...the Kyla track is really cool! These are the kind of artists people should be looking into IMO, not just sticking with Leona and Alexandra....and blooming Emili!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for those tips...the Kyla track is really cool! These are the kind of artists people should be looking into IMO, not just sticking with Leona and Alexandra....and blooming Emili!

Fair point. I had a listen to those and they were all pretty good but I like something distinctive in a vocalist and I'm not sure there is anything distinctive there, maybe Lucy Rose?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since 1995 when for me she overtook Kate Bush, PJ Harvey has been consistently the greatest female artist in the UK. Every album is different, both to her last and to everyone else out there and inspiring. Is This Desire and Let England Shake being my favourite.

Wonder if she's got an album ready for 2013?
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Sian Evans - not many would recognise the name, but not without some noticeable 'mainstream' successes.Personally like her trip hop / more rocky stuff, especially on Kosheen's 2003 album Kokopelli

Kosheen - Hide U [John Creamer and Stephane K Remix Edit] - reached No. 6 in UK singles charts in 2001

Roger Shah & Sian Kosheen - Hide U (Official Video HD)

Kosheen - All In My Head - reached No. 7 in UK singles charts in 2003

DJ Fresh ft Sian Evans - 'Louder' (Official Video)[/URL] - reached No.1 in UK singles charts in 2011

Kosheen I Want It All Big Day Out 2002 - good example of her 'live' singing talent.

Kosheen
    Sian Evans
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadie jemmett
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay,someone else who knows of Sadie! :)

If we can add Irish siners into the mix I'd nominate juliet Turner.