Options

Google now fan :)

Comments

• Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for national I.D. cards and storing DNA of individuals, if your innocent you've nothing to worry about.

What all the fuss about Google and the data their system has about you, it won't affect your life and its certainly nothing to worry about. I don't care if they know where I am like I don't care if Tesco knows what I've just paid for, none of it is worth loosing a moments sleep over. If your worried stop using a mobile phone.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with neo
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I actually do understand the privacy concerns. I'm very aware that we should learn the lessons of the past and that just because at the moment there is little in the way of singling out of people that it won't happen in future.

The Jews were killed on a grand scale because of tracking of citizens on IBM punch card technology (yes IBM has been around since the 1911). The Nazis were able to read the punch cards which kept personal information about people, from which they were able to identify the Jews in an extremely quick and mechanised way. Whilst that's an extreme example the principles of not letting companies and organisations keep data longer than necessary, restrict them to only data they need to perform the duties and to keep it secure are things I all agree with.

I think there's still a lot of privacy concerns with Google, the EU still has issues with people's internet searches being kept for years, and other privacy issues. I actually agree with Noise and sympathise. You don't have to have something to hide to not want unnecessary data kept about you for a long time.

I know about IBM sine the second world war, a mate of mine keeps on about it as if it is IBM fault, I suppose it is, if they did not make the machine, things may have been different.

The problem is our data is spread all over the place, I bet not one person on here knows how many companies and organisations have got data about them and how long they have had it, if it is correct or what they do with it.

BT still got information about me and I have not been with BT for nearly 3 years. Sky still got data as I had a letter from them a month or so ago with my name on trying to get me to go back to them and yet it been years since I have had any contact with Sky.

Surly that Data after a while should be got rid of

Government departments are awful at keeping our data safe.
  • Options
    Stevie_DonaldStevie_Donald Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I only have google now on my tablet and all it does is tell me the weather forecast.

Hasn't popped up with any other info at all.

Might be different I suppose when I change my phone soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I'm all for national I.D. cards and storing DNA of individuals, if your innocent you've nothing to worry about.

That is complete crap and you know it. Some people just want a private life and don't want to be tracked and made out to be a criminal because they don't have the ID card on them and that is what would have happened eventually.

Thankfully the Tories at least got that right and I can't see Id cards being introduced into this country in my lifetime never mind yours. DNA storage was never on the cards, but if it wa si would have refused to give my DNA
    What all the fuss about Google and the data their system has about you, it won't affect your life and its certainly nothing to worry about.

It may affect you if the police gets data of google about you that say you been doing searches for things you should not be and google have got the data wrong.

Google lied about collecting information from Peoples Wi-fi and yet you still trust them?
    I don't care if they know where I am like I don't care if Tesco knows what I've just paid for, none of it is worth loosing a moments sleep over.

That is up to you, but it is easy to stop Tesco having that information, just don't have a clubcard and if you that worried, then pay by cash.
    I pay by cash, but not for that reason.

I was sent a Nectar card by my energy company but I doubt it will ever be used.

If your worried stop using a mobile phone.

I wish I never had a mobile phone in the first place, they are nothing but a pain, but people expect you have a mobile phone now, certainly when you have had one for years.

Now I need a mobile phone as a back up as i don't have a proper landline, but I could go back to a normal mobile phone and pay as you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds great. I dont listen to music on my phone anyway.

I know someone who still got a 3310, he got to get a new battery for it now as the old one is not holding the charge, that is if he can get one.

My dad is thinking of getting rid of his landline and getting a basic mobile on PAYG as he don't use the phone a lot.

I know a few people who still got basic phones, but getting hold of one is getting more difficult.

Vodafone got 3 I think, but even they are not truly basic, their Nokia got Symbian and still got a touch screen as well as a keypad.
    Even then you are looking at £50 or more one.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting point this. People will (arguably quite rightly) kick up a massive fuss if something like an ID card or national DNA database is proposed. Yet we'll willingly hand over potentially very sensitive information to private companies without a second thought.
    What very sensitive information ? .........Your route to work and back ?

If this bothers you too much you could always abandon your car in the middle of the road every now and again and make a run for it, jump over a few hedges and such on the way in....... That would throw the bas**rds off :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    What very sensitive information ? .........Your route to work and back ?

If this bothers you too much you could always abandon your car in the middle of the road every now and again and make a run for it, jump over a few hedges and such on the way in....... That would throw the bas**rds off :mad:

The contents of your emails. Where you go, what you buy, what you do. What you search for. What you like and don't like. Surely you can see that this has the potential to contain sensitive information.

I only said it's an interesting debate, and I said right at the start I would probably use Google Now anyway.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contents of your emails. Where you go, what you buy, what you do. What you search for. What you like and don't like. Surely you can see that this has the potential to contain sensitive information.

I only said it's an interesting debate, and I said right at the start I would probably use Google Now anyway.

I think it is quite sad that people are so use to their lives not being private anymore, that they think it is ok.

I'm not too concerned about what our elected government might do with our data, because they do have some morals and are accountable. What concerns me more in the intrusion by private companies who endlessly try and sell me something because I searched for a product or clicked on an advert (by accident). I find it interesting that we had the recent change in the use of cookies on pc, but don't seem to have any control at all on data collected by the likes of google.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Ace and clever? maybe, but flipping scary. i had a look to see what this google now is and after reading about it, I am glad my phone don't have Jelly bean on it.

i also glad that i keep GPS and wi-fi turned off unless I really need it, wi-fi more than GPs when I am at home.

I can't believe that people really gest sucked into this invasion of privacy, just like people taking pictures with their Iphones and not realising that there is data that allow people other people to find out where the picture was taken, what date and what time. Thankfully Facebook now strips that info out as do other online photo albums.

People are just given away private information as if it is not important any more and some just don't realise. No wonder Google likes us to keep location switched on.

Just realised that my the version of Android in my phone is after Jelly bean. even happier that I switch off the GPs and wi-fi.

you can just turn it off. no need for the tin foil hat.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is complete crap and you know it. Some people just want a private life and don't want to be tracked and made out to be a criminal because they don't have the ID card on them and that is what would have happened eventually.

Thankfully the Tories at least got that right and I can't see Id cards being introduced into this country in my lifetime never mind yours. DNA storage was never on the cards, but if it wa si would have refused to give my DNA

It may affect you if the police gets data of google about you that say you been doing searches for things you should not be and google have got the data wrong.

Google lied about collecting information from Peoples Wi-fi and yet you still trust them?

That is up to you, but it is easy to stop Tesco having that information, just don't have a clubcard and if you that worried, then pay by cash.
    I pay by cash, but not for that reason.

I was sent a Nectar card by my energy company but I doubt it will ever be used.

I wish I never had a mobile phone in the first place, they are nothing but a pain, but people expect you have a mobile phone now, certainly when you have had one for years.

Now I need a mobile phone as a back up as i don't have a proper landline, but I could go back to a normal mobile phone and pay as you go.

Its not crap at all. Biometric ID card, you have an accident, the paramedics scan your card and have a complete medical history, known allergies, yes or no to organ donation...has to be a good thing.

If your living in this country legally why not have a card to prove it? 'They' have all the data anyway, passport/driving license/NI number/electoral role et al, a card makes things simpler and the DNA profile could save your life.

I couldn't give a hoot about loyalty cards, if nothing else it tells stores what to order on the next delivery by spotting trends, you work in a shop I though you would appreciate them from a stock control point of view.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I think is great...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    you can just turn it off. no need for the tin foil hat.

don't mean it is still not collecting the data and sending it to Google.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    don't mean it is still not collecting the data and sending it to Google.

yes it does. that is exactly what it means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Its not crap at all. Biometric ID card, you have an accident, the paramedics scan your card and have a complete medical history, known allergies, yes or no to organ donation...has to be a good thing.

As you come from a medical background, I can understand why you think this is a good idea and yes on paper it looks good, but people who want to donate organs already got a card and they can put their details onto a database if they want to.
    People with allergies normally got a card.

sorry but for me it would be another step too far.
    If your living in this country legally why not have a card to prove it?

Why the hell should I carry a card to say I was born and bred in this country? the people that should not be here, they are the ones that should have a card, no on second thoughts they can get rid of a card, so they should have a chip in their arm.

'They' have all the data anyway, passport/driving license/NI number/electoral role et al, a card makes things simpler and the DNA profile could save your life.

Even so, a card is only good if you got it on you and since there was never going to be a law to require you to carry it, i never saw the point in it and it would cost the country billions, in fact getting as far as they did built up a huge bill.

I don't have a passport any more, it ran out a few years back and I never bothered to renew it, I was going to renew it before the ID card came out, but once that was dropped I did not bother.

I can't see how a DNA profile can save my life, it can be a way for police to connect you with a crime, just because your DNA was found at the scene.

Thankfully as i said it s not going to happen now. the only thing we got to stop now is this stupid idea that we are all want to donate our Organs unless we opt out. Another insecure government database they want us on.
    I couldn't give a hoot about loyalty cards, if nothing else it tells stores what to order on the next delivery by spotting trends, you work in a shop I though you would appreciate them from a stock control point of view.

It don't make a scrap of difference to our stock. the loyalty card gets people back into the store as they think they are getting something fantastic.
    Sure it does help on a national scale to see what people are buying, but that is only to give them vouchers so they will go into the shop again.

We know what is selling by the checkouts, as soon as the item goes through the checkouts it is removed from our stock and that information is open to any employee who can use the computers. only on a local level mind you. Even with the handset I can see if we got too much stock of the item, how many are coming in and when and how many have we sold.

I am not saying the information is not useful from loyalty cards, but there are many people who don't have one, so yo can't go by that information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    yes it does. that is exactly what it means.

Yeah, like we are not collecting data from peoples Wi-fi, oh yes we are, we will erase it, oh we are taking longer to erase it because, put some excuse here.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, like we are not collecting data from peoples Wi-fi, oh yes we are, we will erase it, oh we are taking longer to erase it because, put some excuse here.

That one I have no sympathy for I'm afraid noise, encrypt your wifi otherwise not only google but everyone can see your data. If you cared about privacy you'd have enabled encryption.

That was a silly pointless argument that went on and on, the cause of which was people spewing out their data into the air freely open for people to sniff.

There was so much fuss in the news about nasty google, but all they were really interested in were the SSIDs mapped against GPS data to make maps know where you were, they accidentally gathered extra data which people were stupidly not securing. That data would have been on no real use to google anyway.

There are real privacy concerns with google, but that wasn't one of them.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really couldn't care less if Google knows where I work or live or if I search for "funny cat videos" on YouTube. At the end of the day, I don't do anything illegal online so I have nothing to fear. I've been using Google for about 7 years now and it only shows 2 pages of direct results for my name - many of which aren't even directly linked to me.

I really can't stand scaremongers who think the Internet is out to get them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I really couldn't care less if Google knows where I work or live or if I search for "funny cat videos" on YouTube. At the end of the day, I don't do anything illegal online so I have nothing to fear. I've been using Google for about 7 years now and it only shows 2 pages of direct results for my name - many of which aren't even directly linked to me.

I really can't stand scaremongers who think the Internet is out to get them...

What if you search about HIV, or about cancer though, or if you search about employment law, tribunals, and then that data somehow falls into the wrong hands i.e anonymous and is then made available to search by others.

What if in 20 years time all that data is linked to people and is able to be used by insurance companies or banks or employers?

Do you see the risks if it isn't controlled? google has cookes to be able to link you and everything you do that has google analytics to you and your email address. The pages you've visited, the searches you've carried out, email data and more.

If not a risk to you it's a risk to higher profile people if that data floats around and festers for years on servers (which is is doing).

That's why we have data protections laws based around only keeping the data that is necessary, only keeping it for as long as necessary, however google is keeping more than they need and not deleting it according to some privacy watchdogs.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote:

Why the hell should I carry a card to say I was born and bred in this country?

To make it easier to send the ones back who shouldn't be here? No card = no stay
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote:
    The pages you've visited, the searches you've carried out, email data and more.

You mean like the exact data your ISP already knows about you if required by the Police?

I agree if the information was to fall into the wrong hands etc it would be a bad thing. But that's why the data protection act exists and people do receive very harsh sentences for breaching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    You mean like the exact data your ISP already knows about you if required by the Police?

I agree if the information was to fall into the wrong hands etc it would be a bad thing. But that's why the data protection act exists and people do receive very harsh sentences for breaching it.

No I don't because at the moment that's only a voluntary requirement, kept by IP address, you need to find out who had the DHCP lease at the time and then link it and it's only kept for 6 months, and it is your service provider, and it has to be required by the police/ court order. This data is kept for serious crime and counter terrorism reasons.

Quite a different scenario really to the one with google where they are allegedly keeping much more data than they need to, and keeping it for years in the case of search history. This data is kept by an advertising giant for monetising or seemingly no good reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To give you some examples:

Norway
    The Data Inspectorate of Norway (Norway is not a member of the EU) has investigated Google (and others) and has stated that the 18- to 24-month period for retaining data proposed by Google was too long

Italy
    Google-Vividown: in February 2010, three Google executives were handed six-month suspended sentences for breach of the Italian Personal Data Protection Code

European Union
    European Union (EU) data protection officials (the Article 29 working party who advise the EU on privacy policy) have written to Google asking the company to justify its policy of keeping information on individuals' internet searches for up to two years. The letter questioned whether Google has "fulfilled all the necessary requirements" on the EU laws concerning data protection
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the sort of thing I was talking about earlier. People are quite rightly concerned about the government having access to information because of how they might use it in the future, but they'll happy hand over data - including opting into even more services - to private companies without knowing how they're going to use it. I include myself in this, by the way

Google Drive is a good example. I don't know if they've changed it, but when the service launched, the terms included a WORLDWIDE LICENCE for Google to use any of your stuff in any way they saw fit. You are literally giving away your content to them by using their cloud service. (Dropbox, for comparison, does not include any such licence.)

Of course, this isn't just Google by any means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwball wrote: »
    To make it easier to send the ones back who shouldn't be here? No card = no stay

where do we send the people with no ID?