Options

EE Wifi Calling

Comments

• Options
    AdamukAdamuk Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I'm very impressed with wifi calling and VoLTE. My house doesn't have wifi in some spots. I can walk to all areas of my house and the call will hand freely between wifi calling and VoLTE, numerous times, without dropping at all.
  • Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Have EE started to allow this on all none branded phones now (I know about iPhone and some nexuss). I just today saw the option in my fully sim free unbranded GS7 Edge wasn't there before. Decided to check the box lo and behold connected to wifi when I got to work and wifi calling started working. I'm very glad as we get no mobile coverage and it's the 1 thing I missed about the iphone. But not something I'm gunna buy a networked branded phone for at the same time so I'm now a happy bunny.

So am I just lucky or are they starting to open it up
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S7 and S7e got an update (for all variants) that enabled VoLTE on Three and Wi-Fi Calling for EE, and presumably other stuff. It should hopefully mean VoLTE support for EE will come the same way.
  • Options
    CloudaneCloudane Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another odd one is that I'm sat next to a signal box (because Wifi Calling doesn't work reliably) and when switching wifi on, although Wifi Calling doesn't latch on because it's been a couple of days since I rebooted, the mobile signal indicator goes down to about half. LTE Discovery shows -52dbm so it's definitely connected to the signal box, which flashes when making a call too. Switch wifi off, the signal indicator goes back up to full. Weird, weird stuff - I'm not entirely convinced Google do much in the way of testing before putting stuff out :p
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seatmad wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a number of time you can leave wifi and then return before it turns off permanently (until a reboot). I'm going to have to keep an eye on it and try and count them.

Doubt it - I had it on my S6, which I sold and used a Oneplus Two for 7 months before I got the S7 which wifi calling still worked on straight away
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudane wrote: »
    This on a Nexus? Same with mine, usually if I go to work and go from office to office etc. It gives up after a few switches off WiFi network and needs a reboot.

Yep a 5X. Just rebooted the phone and wifi calling is back on.

Odd....
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone had any luck getting this to work with an HTC 10? I put my EE SIM in and got the prompt to set up Wi-Fi calling and then received a text message the next day saying it was activated, however it pops up with the error: 'Wi-Fi Calling Error - Unable to Connect' when I try to turn it on.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't edit my above post but wanted to add that I remembered that I'd not rebooted since receiving the activation text a couple of days ago so tried that - now works perfectly!

Unbranded HTC 10
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is VoLTE?
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    What exactly is VoLTE?

Google it. It's voice calling over 4G. Currently most phones drop back to 3G or 2G for calls, and return to 4G once the call ends.
  • Options
    joemcdjoemcd Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    huwdw wrote: »
    Couldn't edit my above post but wanted to add that I remembered that I'd not rebooted since receiving the activation text a couple of days ago so tried that - now works perfectly!

Unbranded HTC 10

Does VoLTE work ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joemcd wrote: »
    Does VoLTE work ?

VoLTE is iOS and Winpho only on EE at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    VoLTE is iOS and Winpho only on EE at the moment.

It should be 'soon' on Android according to all the EE press releases since March. I was thinking it would be with the HTC 10 as it's the latest device but I guess some more patience on my front is in order :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joemcd wrote: »
    It should be 'soon' on Android according to all the EE press releases since March. I was thinking it would be with the HTC 10 as it's the latest device but I guess some more patience on my front is in order :)

Forgive my ignorance - but how can I check?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If the 4G logo appears on the top left corner of your screen when you are making/ receiving calls then it is a voLTE call. It is a voice call over the 4G LTE network. I don't think it's available everywhere yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Turn off WiFi and make a call. If the "4G" symbol disappears next to the signal bars and is replaced with "H" or "H+", you're not on VoLTE.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Another way to do this would be to see if there are settings on the phone:
    1) Tap Settings > Call.
    2) Tap More.
    3) Check or uncheck Voice over LTE.

If the Voice over LTE setting isn't showing, then it's not possible yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - unfortunately no VoLTE, no VoLTE settings and the phone back over to 3G when making a call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - unfortunately no VoLTE, no VoLTE settings and the phone back over to 3G when making a call.

Unsurprising. I already told you that it isn't enabled for Android handsets at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Unsurprising. I already told you that it isn't enabled for Android handsets at the moment.

I know but it took 20 seconds to test myself. WiFi calling isn't officially enabled either but it works. No harm done!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just upgraded to Android N beta on my 6P and Wi-Fi calling no longer works. It's still a menu option as before but doesn't connect.

Hopefully just a temporary glitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a lot of people say I keep cutting out on WiFi calling. Anyone else?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    I'm getting a lot of people say I keep cutting out on WiFi calling. Anyone else?

Yes .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Just upgraded to Android N beta on my 6P and Wi-Fi calling no longer works. It's still a menu option as before but doesn't connect.

Hopefully just a temporary glitch.

I just installed N, have you noticed when a call is connected or you receive a call if the WiFi calling logo appears on the phone screen?
  • Options
    Lincs_ImpLincs_Imp Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »

Yes, after a couple of weeks use on my Nexus 5x, I gave up and switched it off, it just wasn't working very well. Indeed on a couple of calls out I had a weird situation where the number dialled rang a couple of times then returned an engaged tone! I'm afraid that I'm the sort of person that loves tech and smart phones. However, if it doesn't make calls then it's useless.