The Future of Sky Box Office

JVDJVD Posts: 572
Forum Member
✭✭
I guess with them promoting such things like Sky Store , Sky Go alot recently It's made think that Sky are beginning to slowly phase out the Sky Box Office channels , im pretty sure they used to have 60 screen's one time now they're down to less than 32 they closed down about 20 of them before the Olympics came to free up EPG space for the BBC Olympics channels and never returned and another 5 went a few months ago too.

How long do you think Sky Box Office has left til they close the entire lot ?

and not to mention there's alot of rivals out there now too such as Lovefilm and Netflix and other video on demand services.

There was a time we had other Pay per view channels like Premiership+ which was a PPV sports channel and closed a few years ago also Sky Box Office had a rival service called u>direct films which eventually ceased in the end.

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a good question, on demand Sky Store takes that role now Im guessing that the old 'Anytime' part will soon go and it will be all over IP.
    I wonder how long it will be before they do away with +1 channels and put all that content up on on demand only?
  • Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Other than one or two channels for live sports I'd imagine they'll all be gone soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jameseh. wrote: »
    Other than one or two channels for live sports I'd imagine they'll all be gone soon.

The Sky movies channels are a farce as they just repeate the same films for a while anyways, so replacing them with on deman only would be good! Instead of the Sky movies sub giving you access to movies channels, you could just get access to a bigger range of movies at the Sky Store for a monthy fee!
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Jameseh. wrote: »

The Box Office live "sport" is pretty limited this days with a WWE event every few months and a couple of boxing shows a year.

The other one I don't know why they bother is the Primetime PPV channel. They keep it going with a few hours of repeats a day, as an SD slot is still worth money, but it's ages since they had any PPV on it. The boxing seems to have moved to subscription on Box Nation.
    Given Primetime have a streaming option, they should just sell the Sky channel.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    JVD wrote: »
    How long do you think Sky Box Office has left til they close the entire lot ?
    It astonishes me that Sky Box Office dropped from 2 to just 1 HD channels. For what they charge I would never dream of ordering a SD Movie!

I guess that must be sign that the only people using it are those without Sky Store boxes!
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Thats a good question, on demand Sky Store takes that role now Im guessing that the old 'Anytime' part will soon go and it will be all over IP.
    I wonder how long it will be before they do away with +1 channels and put all that content up on on demand only?

I'd wager that people are more likely to sit through adverts when watching +1 channels as compared to when watching on-demand, so they may try and keep those going. I wonder if it would be possible to provide the +1 channels over IP alongside the regular channels on the EPG?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    I'd wager that people are more likely to sit through adverts when watching +1 channels as compared to when watching on-demand, so they may try and keep those going. I wonder if it would be possible to provide the +1 channels over IP alongside the regular channels on the EPG?

Intersting idea having the +1s as IP channels it fits with what I said here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67675544&postcount=43 in the freeview formums. They could be combined so only one source is used for both Dsat and DTT.
  • welshboy89welshboy89 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    717 is gone. Another step closer for Sky closing down Sky Movies Box Office.

Sky Sports Box Office will survive because Pay Per View Sport/Events will always have more Demand rather than Sky Movies Box Office due to Sky Go . Sky Store and other rivals..
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I has Sky for 12 years before cancelling last year and I never once used Sky Box Office. If I pay to see a film it's either at the cinema or to own it on Blu-ray/DVD.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's more 'pushed' content than ever before, even with programmes from third party channels like ITV and C4
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky box office will stay if only for the boxing. Sky makes lots of money out of that.
  • gerdavgerdav Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    The Sky Box Office Movie channels have not been available on Sky Q from day 1 period, so I would take that as a big indicator of their future, the only Sky Box Office channels available on Sky Q are Sky Sports Box Office in SD and HD on 491 and 492.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerdav wrote: »
    The Sky Box Office Movie channels have not been available on Sky Q from day 1 period, so I would take that as a big indicator of their future, the only Sky Box Office channels available on Sky Q are Sky Sports Box Office in SD and HD on 491 and 492.

I expect it will be like that on older sky boxes too eventually, but just in HD when Sky finally ditch SD only subscriptions.
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quoting skyisthebest's post about 2 further more SBO channels closing down.
    Sky Box Office 718 and 719 close down at 6am tomorrow morning.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=82855326&postcount=25
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,780
    Forum Member
    I expect it will be like that on older sky boxes too eventually, but just in HD when Sky finally ditch SD only subscriptions.

No they will keep the SD channels going so they can use their EPG slots should they want to launch a new channel
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy answer-it doesn't have one!
  • ArtfulDodger_ArtfulDodger_ Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole Sky Movies and Box office are going to fall out of the Sky. Sky Store will be more popular, people don't want to pay such expensive subs.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    What I find strange is that the ones left that are actually broadcasts rather than on demand Sky Store/Sky Go are not in HD, except just one channel, who would now pay a fiver for temporary access to a single movie in SD!

I have always thought they should use the "Sky Box Office" branding for the on demand section too rather than "Sky Store" just seems a better name.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who would now pay a fiver for temporary access to a single movie in SD!.

I would a large part of the audience for Sky Box Office now is those who still have SD boxes so cannot access the on-demand Sky Movies service.

But as rating for SD simulcast channels reveal, the majority of people do not seem too fussed either way.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    So that button on our remotes could become obsolete. So will they redesign the remote which is becoming more and more out of date or will they try and move us all to Sky Q eventually. Remember when you could access games and online stores by pressing interactive. All that is gone now.

So yes I think Sky Box Office will be phased out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    So that button on our remotes could become obsolete.

No, because it is still used for Sky Store. Scrapping SBO though would mean they could get rid of the first screen where you have to pick between Sky Store and Sky Box Office
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    mavreela wrote: »
    No, because it is still used for Sky Store. Scrapping SBO though would mean they could get rid of the first screen where you have to pick between Sky Store and Sky Box Office

Yes I was forgetting that it links to Sky Store. But if SBO went then I can't see Sky replacing all our remotes so it reads Sky Store instead of Sky Box Office!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole Sky Movies and Box office are going to fall out of the Sky. Sky Store will be more popular, people don't want to pay such expensive subs.

I've never bought a PPV film in the twenty odd years I've been with Sky. Much rather wait a couple of months and get all the films for less than a tenner a month, than pay six quid for one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    But if SBO went then I can't see Sky replacing all our remotes so it reads Sky Store instead of Sky Box Office!

Indeed, it is like you say about the Interactive button which now should really be labelled "Support."