Options

whats with usa obbession with late night talk shows?

kylie_madonnakylie_madonna Posts: 405
Forum Member
Why are the American late night talk shows so popular and go out so late? Imagine a brand new show starting at 11.30 in the uk!!! Then they have the late late shows after the main late shows. Do Americas not sleep ha ha?!!

Comments

• Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have DVR's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have DVR's

I understand they record shows in this day and age don't we all. But these type of late shows seem to have been a staple and tradition since the 50s and 60s and you don't exactly get new shows starting at these times in uk recording them or not
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're obsessed with panel shows (the same people seem to turn up on all of them, all of the time), they're obsessed with late night chat shows
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you see how few Americans actually watch them i'd hardly say they were obsessed.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It entirely depends on how you look at it. In the grand scheme of things, the late night shows don't rate great when compared to the main primetime broadcasts but considering their time slots, The Tonight Show in particular rates very well.

Ratings for 30 May - 3 June:

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (NBC) - 0.70/4 - 2.66m
    Jimmy Kimmel Live (ABC) - 0.71/4 - 2.64m
    Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS) - 0.40/2 - 2.08m
    Late Night with Seth Myers (ABC) - 0.35/2 - 1.17m
    Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) - 0.26/2 - 1.07m
    Last Call with Carson Daly (NBC) - 0.22/2 - 0.70m

Averages for the season to date:

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (NBC) - 1.02/5 - 3.73m
    Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS) - 0.64/3 - 2.87m
    Jimmy Kimmel Live (ABC) - 0.55/3 - 2.39m
    Late Night with Seth Myers (ABC) - 0.47/3 - 1.58m
    Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) - 0.33/2 - 1.27m
    Last Call with Carson Daly (NBC) - 0.28/2 - 0.89m

The numbers above, i.e. x.xx/x, are representative of the ratings points/share.

Nielsen estimates that there are 116.4m television households in the US for the current TV season so one ratings point represents 1% of the total households, i.e. 1,164,000 households. A ratings score is the percentage of households that are tuned in to a show from the total TV households in the country.

Using the above figures, for the current season, 1.02% of US TV households have tuned in to watch The Tonight Show.

Rating = number of viewers/total TV households

The share is the total percentage of TV's that are turned on and watching. The difference being that this is a percentage of the viewers that were watching it as it went out, so for The Tonight Show above, 5% of all TV's watched it 'live'.

Share = number of viewers/total number of live TV viewers.

Compared with the main broadcast shows in primetime:

18-49 demographic (rating/viewers in millions):

NBA Finals Game 1 (ABC) - 7.3 / 9,264m
    NBA Finals Game 2 (ABC - 6.5 / 8,280m
    NBA Finals Post-Game (ABC) - 3.5 / 4,467m
    America's Got Talent (NBC) - 2.6 / 3,256m
    NBA Countdown Thursday (ABC) - 2.1 / 2,709m
    American Ninja Warrior (NBC) - 1.7 / 2,198m
    NBA Countdown Sunday (ABC) - 1.6 / 2,050m
    The Bachelorette (ABC) - 1.6 / 2,007m
    The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 1.6 / 1,987m
    Maya & Marty (NBC) - 1.4 / 1,782m

Broadcast shows by total viewers (millions):

NBA Finals Game 1 (ABC) - 19,207m
    NBA Finals Game 2 (ABC - 17,489m
    America's Got Talent (NBC) - 11,667m
    NBA Finals Post-Game (ABC) - 9,150m
    60 Minutes (CBS) - 7,786m
    The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 7,786m
    NCIS (CBS) - 7,422m
    NCIS: New Orleans (CBS) - 6,980m
    Person of Interest (CBS) - 6,665m
    American Ninja Warrior (NBC) - 6,350m
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then they have the late late shows after the main late shows.

Then, after the Tonight Show and Late Night, NBC has Last Call at 1:35am.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If so few watch them, why are they seen as such a big deal?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

It does seem strange and why do they pay the people who host the programmes such ridiculous amounts.

Do they pick up a particular type of viewer that the advertisers want to target or is it just because everyone else does them.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Carson was the undisputed king of late night and presided over NBC's Tonight Show for 30 years pulling in 8 million viewers a night. After his retirement in 1992 he made his last US TV appearance with rival and friend David Letterman on CBS and stopped the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9i6A6LGwa4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

Yes I considered them to be so popular attracting top A list stars very easily
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One advantage of living in the Central Time Zone is that the shows were on one hour earlier so Daily Show started at 10, Fallon at 10:30 and Seth Meyers 11:30

Spending a few weeks in New York it really did seem odd that Daily Show starts at 11 if I caught Meyers at all it was because I'd fallen in front of the TV and had woken up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then, after the Tonight Show and Late Night, NBC has Last Call at 1:35am.

Late Call with Carson Daly the only time I'd ever get to see him was if I was on-call and had been paged. It was strange to see Richard Bacon hosting an overnight ABC News Channel from about midnight to 5am. One of the US;s best news shows
  • Options
    rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The shows are relatively cheap to produce. When The Tonight Show with Jay Leno was on the air it cost about $1.7 million/a week while an hour long drama that airs 22 episodes/year costs at least $1million/episode.

The late night shows also are great promotional vehicles for cross promotion between a networks sister cable channels and movie studios.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Why are the American late night talk shows so popular and go out so late? Imagine a brand new show starting at 11.30 in the uk!!! Then they have the late late shows after the main late shows. Do Americas not sleep ha ha?!!

They actually aren't anymore. While DVRs have kept viewership levels slightly higher than a worst case, the actual total viewership numbers for even the most popular of these shows STILL isn't all that high.

The best rated of all of them, for example, is The Tonight Show. Throwing aside all of the fancy data about "shares" and such, do you know how many people actually watch The Tonight Show in a typical week? Well the data for the week ending April 15th is out there, for example (it was the first I stumbled upon). 3.24 million was the estimated number. Now I know that sounds like a lot of eyes, but it's not. This is 3.24 million out of 322.76 million. In other words, around 1% of the population. That's for the show that's considered the smash hit compared to the other late night talk shows.

EDIT - And... I see promo-only had the data for the week ending June 3rd. And the viewership is even lower.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day, we had Dave Allen and Eamonn Andrews as late shows on ITV Sundays! High audiences!:)
  • Options
    Greg_ScottGreg_Scott Posts: 301
    Forum Member

Because they are profitable for the networks. The average viewer is younger or a light tv viewer so advertisers pay a premium to reach them.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    though not a US talk show I liked Up Late With Rylan which was on Five at 11PM.
    hopefully they bring it back after BB is done.
    but was something to watch at the time.
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, many a Coors Lite fuelled late night spent flicking from chat show to chat show in motel6 rooms across the US when on holiday . Happy days.

Has Craig Ferguson been ditched, sacked or retired to rehab ?

Corden may be be wowing them lately , but Ferguson paved the way for Brit craziness on the chat show circuit.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Do they pick up a particular type of viewer that the advertisers want to target or is it just because everyone else does them.

Yes, it's the all important 18-49 demographic that the advertisers go after. Slightly strange but the total amount of viewers in millions is fairly irrelevant to the broadcasters and advertisers - it's the 18-49 rating share that they focus on.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, may the timimgs have something to do with the way of life in the USA ? I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but shops do not seem to open until 10am but close a lot later too, so by the time they get home, have dinner/tea it will be getting rather late into the evening, put the chat shows on at 8 or 9 and many would miss them ??
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Americas not sleep ha ha?!!

Given that their local morning news programmes start as early as 4am in some places, I’ve concluded – no, Americans don’t sleep. :D
    promo-only wrote: »
    It entirely depends on how you look at it. In the grand scheme of things, the late night shows don't rate great when compared to the main primetime broadcasts but considering their time slots, The Tonight Show in particular rates very well.

Yes, ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon‘ particular rates very well, despite it’s late timeslot. The ratings you provided above actually cover a week that the show was in reruns, so they are a bit misleading. The yearly average gives a much better view of how successful it is – sometimes getting a demo rating (and that’s the only rating that counts) higher than programmes in primetime.
    dave2702 wrote: »
    One advantage of living in the Central Time Zone is that the shows were on one hour earlier...

In the day an age of digital satellite I think you can probably take that one step further... The West Coast are 3 hours behind the East Coast, yet I’m fairly sure digital satellite viewers will have access to East and West Coast feeds of the major channels. So if you live in LA you can tune to the NBC East Coast feed and watch The Tonight Show at 8:30pm.
    rkolsen wrote: »
    The late night shows also are great promotional vehicles for cross promotion between a networks sister cable channels and movie studios.

Yes, this is very true. Jimmy Fallon, for example, has pretty much become the face of the NBC network. So that act as more than just a late night talk show host.
    Kromm wrote: »
    They actually aren't anymore. While DVRs have kept viewership levels slightly higher than a worst case, the actual total viewership numbers for even the most popular of these shows STILL isn't all that high.

But you’re looking at actual viewer numbers – which hold no value in the US. In the US it’s all about the 18-49 demo rating as that’s what the advertisers are interested in and that’s what sets advertising rates.
    For example, some of CBS’s dramas have more viewers than some of NBC’s dramas. But those NBC dramas have high demo ratings (in other words, that have more people aged 18-49 watching), that are considered more successful and therefore less likely to be cancelled. If you’re a viewer aged 50 or above you have no value to the US networks.

It’s a weird concept to grasp because the UK works very differently, but that’s how it’s done in the US.
    Rosebuddy wrote: »

Craig Ferguson stepped down from The Late Late Show in December 2014. Personally I suspect he stepped down because he knew he wasn’t going to have a place in CBS’s new ‘post-Letterman’ line up. However he did 10 years as host which is impressive, and brought a very unique take to the genre.
    He now hosts syndicated game show ‘Celebrity Name Game’, which starts its third season later this year. He’s also won the Daytime Emmy for best game show host two years running now. And he recently started hosting ‘Join or Die with Craig Ferguson’ on the History Channel, which is the closest thing you’ll find to a panel show on US television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    Yes, many a Coors Lite fuelled late night spent flicking from chat show to chat show in motel6 rooms across the US when on holiday . Happy days.

Corden may be be wowing them lately , but Ferguson paved the way for Brit craziness on the chat show circuit.

Corden replaced Ferguson, Ferguson's show was by World Wide Pants, Letterman's Production Company and when Letterman left Ferguson did too, whether it was voluntary or not I don't know

Ferguson these days does a Hollywood Game Show for the Tribune Network in Chicago that I thought run late nights but also seems to be shown during the day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    In the day an age of digital satellite I think you can probably take that one step further... The West Coast are 3 hours behind the East Coast, yet I’m fairly sure digital satellite viewers will have access to East and West Coast feeds of the major channels. So if you live in LA you can tune to the NBC East Coast feed and watch The Tonight Show at 8:30pm.

Depending on the Satellite Vendor and where you live. Generally with DiretTV (the largest Satellite Vendor) your viewing is Geo-locked if you live in Chicago then the NBC channel you get is your local channel so it's not easily possible for LA viewers to watch the East Coast feed plus satellite footprints mean that the East Coast channels aren't available in your footprint

However if you live in a area where your local channels aren't available via satellite you're given a "National" feed of the channel which may be either a NYC and LA feed

DishTV the other Satellite Company may offer feeds of NYC & LA as standard

CableTV tends to only offer the local channels

I guess there's nothing stopping you watching a NYC station via the web, they may Geolock to stop people outside the US from watching but they don't usually exclude anyone outside of the Metropolitan Area from watching
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Yes, this is very true. Jimmy Fallon, for example, has pretty much become the face of the NBC network. So that act as more than just a late night talk show host.

NBC's full title being NBC Universal and both owned by Comcast so Fallon tends to get to promote Universal's films too as well as their theme parks

Meanwhile over on ABC, owned by Disney Kimmel gets to interview a lot of Superheroes ;-)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    Yes, it's the all important 18-49 demographic that the advertisers go after. Slightly strange but the total amount of viewers in millions is fairly irrelevant to the broadcasters and advertisers - it's the 18-49 rating share that they focus on.

Don't the over 50's have money to spend as well?