What foreign food/drink do you love but its virtually impossible to get in the UK?

Comments

• petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Edinburgh, Jenners and Harvey Nichols have a (limited, to be fair) range of some of the things mentioned on here. But yeah, they all cost a bloody fortune! I really wanted to try Smores flavour Pop Tarts, but they didn't have them (despite having virtually every other flavour!!).
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Selfridges in Oxford Street sell quite a bit of 'foreign' food and The Australia Shop in Covent Garden sells loads of Oz foodstuffs.
    I'm going up to town tomorrow so I shall pop in to see what they've got.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidls do cherry juice.

Thanks, stud. I did look in our local one a while ago as I get pear juice for OH there, but didn't see any. Will have another look.

Found a website listing the italian biscuits - turns out they aren't star shaped, but do have white stars on them. Sadly currently oos - recommend them if you ever come across them, they are delicious.
    http://www.nifeislife.com/mulino-bianco-stelle-350g-p-344.html
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carrot rapees - grated carrot in vinaigrette. Hate to rub it in but I live in France too and there's some in my fridge as we speak. :D

So obviously there is loads of stuff over here that can't be bought in the UK; my favourites are: Chipsters, Carambar, rillettes de porc, madelaines (can be obtained but at a price), any biscuits by Lu (ditto), different varieties of Boursin, and creme de cassis for about 3 euros a bottle. :D

From Spain I miss Licor 43, palomitas, Cheeto crisps, Cruzcampo beer.

And from the US/ Canada, Wild Berry Skittles. I tracked them down in the foreign goodies shop in Brighton but they were about £1.20 a pack and I don't live in the UK anymore. :(

Is that all it is carrot + viniagrette, I should be able to make it myself..:)
    I love French supermarkets the ones here are awful, it`s like a day out for me, can`t remember what the name of the big one near her in Allaire is called but it`s fab....:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Thanks, stud. I did look in our local one a while ago as I get pear juice for OH there, but didn't see any. Will have another look.

Found a website listing the italian biscuits - turns out they aren't star shaped, but do have white stars on them. Sadly currently oos - recommend them if you ever come across them, they are delicious.
    http://www.nifeislife.com/mulino-bianco-stelle-350g-p-344.html

Cherry juice in Folkestone Lidl's is in the chilled cabinets.
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Dutch Bitterballen
    Augustiner Helles Bier from Munich
    Belgian Cote D'Or Milk Chocolate (Red Label)
    Dutch Goudse Stroopwafels

There is an online dutch store that do Bitterballens and stroopwafels but the postage is quite dear now.

They also do stroopwafels in lidl.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twisties
    Big Ms
    Cherry Ripes
    Barbeque Shapes
    Nutrigrain
    Mint Slices

Yes I know you can get most of those from the various online Australian shops but they cost a small boody fortune!!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Wagu beef though I have now found a supplier, just when I can no longer afford it!!
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wagu beef though I have now found a supplier, just when I can no longer afford it!!

The restaurant on Gordon Ramsay in London did an 8oz Wagyu beef for £75!
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Bhutanese red rice
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    The restaurant on Gordon Ramsay in London did an 8oz Wagyu beef for £75!

It's always been expensive but the exchange rate is just making it crazy right now.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always been expensive but the exchange rate is just making it crazy right now.

What's the supplier? I've found somewhere that will sell you 4 8oz steaks for £120.

Bargain:D:D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trigpoint wrote: »
    Cannot get Green Relish over here any more. You get it in Canada and the US.

The best is made by Bicks, you can get any other relish in their range here, except the one that they are most famous for...
    I use to love the stuff but have never been able to find it in UK shops. I'm sure someone must sell it, somewhere!
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Clonakilty black pudding.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swedish Fish
    Root Beer
    Cherry Fanta flavoured Icee
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    When we were in Italy we found some delicious bicuits in the supermarket. They were a bit like chocolate shortbread in thin star shapes with smaller white icing stars dotted over them. Have never seem them here, not even in delicatessens:(

Abroad one year in Europe we found cartons of cherry juice alongside the orange and apple juice. I have searched and serached over here. For a while Safeway did some but then stopped and I think Waitrose have a plastic bottle, but I don't always go there. Really tangy and lovely.

The italian deli near my old flat in London did those biscuits, they are amazing.

As for cherry juice, try a Polish shop.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    We have the most chi-chi and posh branch of Spar you've ever seen, near us in Walthamstow Village and they have a great imported foods section with loads of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Selfridges on Oxford Street is also great for stocking up on foods you only ever see when you're abroad.

Both shops do charge a premium for it but I guess they have to cover the costs of transport, and because they don't make huge orders of the stuff they probably don't get any massive discounts from the suppliers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ate mangosteens a while ago in Thailand and LOVED them, but they don't travel well and you can't get them for love nor money here.

Almond M&M's

as for cherry juice try it with vodka (mmm!)
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reverse the only thing I missed from the UK were Oxo cubes and gravy granules. I know you can buy them online but when you tack on the shipping they cost a bloody fortune. The Gods must have been smiling on me though as I've found Oxo cubes in Fred Meyer's and Bisto gravy granules in World Market. Not cheap by any means but much cheaper than online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mountain Dew, the proper US stuff that is, seen it in a few asian supermarkets here but it's not the same plus they charge £1 a can!

Great online place for 'world' sweets/drinks etc is Cybercandy.com, they also have a shop in London :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ate mangosteens a while ago in Thailand and LOVED them, but they don't travel well and you can't get them for love nor money here.

QUOTE]

We fell in love with them whilst in Bali, only place I have seen them here is in the Chinese Supermarkets in Chinatown in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swedish Fish
    Root Beer
    Cherry Fanta flavoured Icee

You can get Swedish Fish in IKEA, I am addicted to them!!
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    There is an online dutch store that do Bitterballens and stroopwafels but the postage is quite dear now.

They also do stroopwafels in lidl.

I've had the Lidl stroopwafels but they aren't as nice as others I have tasted. The Albert Heijn Roomboter ones are really nice.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Peanut butter m&ms, and Fifth Avenue bars! I stock up in bulk whenever I go to the States. And I love German kristallweizen beer, which I can't seem to find here at all.

Try Asda for Weihenstephan Kristal Weizen (bottle has a green label).
  • indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Almdudler - I have to buy it at ridic prices in Kipferl in London :(
    Cherry Ripe
    Violet Crumble
    Tim Tams