Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I wonder if S7 won't be at least as much about Louisa's process and insight, and change, as Martin's -- we've seen him have his emotionally game-changing moment, but not hers.

It would be nice to see them work to come together after equally addressing the things that have caused them to drift apart. Neither one are immune from their own issues, though yes, they have focused mostly on Martin's issues through the years. S7 will be very interesting indeed.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Has anyone heard if there will be a Christmas special for Doc Martin, series 7?

There was talk of a Christmas special maybe being filmed to go with S6, but it seemed to be just talk, or maybe more accurately from the fans' wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think he really did mean "happiness" because the way he said it, he isn't telling us whether she is happy of unhappy. That is our cliffhanger and we won't know for 2 years whether she was happy or unhappy in that last shot. I'm not even sure Louisa knows.

So I think when he says, "The closing beat is about Louisa's happiness", it is meant to say that we don't know if she is happy or not - and they're not telling.

Shop Girl, I think you nailed it. I just came to that realization myself of how he used the word and that it doesn't mean one or the other, but that the scene portrays information about LGE's future prospects on the continuum of happiness.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Still obsessively pondering the quote: "the closing beat is about Louisa's happiness" I wonder if the simplest explanation isn't the best -- that the reporter misunderstood MC, who actually said "unhappiness."

Semantically, it seems we're getting all worked up about something that doesn't really mean anything....it's a rhetorical statement.....this is it....."the closing beat is about Louisa's happiness"......the lack of or presence thereof (implied but not stated). It didn't seem to me that she was left and crying all alone. I think she was sad, yes, but pensive...even hopeful. And besides what Martin said in the theatre, only hours ago when Ruth questioned if he wanted to be with Louisa he had replied,"Of course I do." with, to me, firm conviction and truthfulness. No erms or uuhs. I think Martin likes to pull chains a bit, but I don't think he was doing it this time. That would be a bit too esoteric.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of All the Harbours.....

Looking for some help here. I know the title of the episode eliminated this week is pretty self explanatory as far as the literary reference, so I suspect that's why one one person has responded so far this week. But I'm looking for some of the other ways the episode title referenced the storylines - there are usually quite a few once you start digging. So if you have any ideas, please participate in the episode title survey this week. Some of the episodes have really easy titles to decipher, but the fun part is trying to link the titles to obscure parts of the episode!

http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of All the Harbours.....

Looking for some help here. I know the title of the episode eliminated this week is pretty self explanatory as far as the literary reference, so I suspect that's why one one person has responded so far this week. But I'm looking for some of the other ways the episode title referenced the storylines - there are usually quite a few once you start digging. So if you have any ideas, please participate in the episode title survey this week. Some of the episodes have really easy titles to decipher, but the fun part is trying to link the titles to obscure parts of the episode!

http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html

I'll try to watch Casablanca again and see if there are any underlying themes....forbidden love....love found and lost....sacrifice. If you have an example maybe it would help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I'll try to watch Casablanca again and see if there are any underlying themes....forbidden love....love found and lost....sacrifice. If you have an example maybe it would help

Hey Mofromco - it's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it - way to take one for the team!

I love that movie, but haven't watched it in many years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For examples - take a look at what some of the people have come up with for the first two episodes. I take all the responses and group them together (Martin & Louisa, Al & Pauline, Bert & Al, or something other than a relationship in the story line that connects to the title.) Then I combine the comments into what I put onto the website.

Here are the first two we have done:

http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS2E9.html

http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS2E7.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For examples - take a look at what some of the people have come up with for the first two episodes. I take all the responses and group them together (Martin & Louisa, Al & Pauline, Bert & Al, or something other than a relationship in the story line that connects to the title.) Then I combine the comments into what I put onto the website.

Here are the first two we have done:

http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS2E9.html

http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS2E7.html

Well, I will watch Casablanca again. I love that movie too. It may be difficult to connect the title to underlying plots since it is so literally directed at Joan's and John's love affair. Maybe, as in Casablanca, Joan and John had been profoundly in love, true love. But Joan was married so it was forbidden love. In Casablanca Ilsa is married when she comes back and finds Rick. Now their love is forbidden. "Of All the Harbours"...we'll see
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched these two back to back and again was struck by the raw emotion of sports day, the accident, Mike P's issues, Martin's panic, Louisa's decision and departure, Martin telling off his mum, the falling of Martin and his resolve, the race, his confession to Louisa, the operation, and the post-op scene.

I have watched it before but am struck by the emotional acting chops coming off the screen. I will also mention Al growing a backbone and Morwenna's thoughtful looks too, plus Ruth getting into it with Margaret.

Powerful writing, directing, and acting.

Rob

ps: Contrast this with the finale of Series 5 with that hopeful hand in hand walk from the Castle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Watched these two back to back and again was struck by the raw emotion of sports day, the accident, Mike P's issues, Martin's panic, Louisa's decision and departure, Martin telling off his mum, the falling of Martin and his resolve, the race, his confession to Louisa, the operation, and the post-op scene.

I have watched it before but am struck by the emotional acting chops coming off the screen. I will also mention Al growing a backbone and Morwenna's thoughtful looks too, plus Ruth getting into it with Margaret.

Rob

ps: Contrast this with the finale of Series 5 with that hopeful hand in hand walk from the Castle.

VAST contrast and more award worthy all around. It's too bad the quality and story is getting better as the show is looking to end in 2015/16. S7 better run away with all of the deserved public honors!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Rob

I don't watch much other TV, like Downton Abbey or Sherlock Holmes and certainly not Dr. Who (can't get into it despite my sci fi tendencies) and sometimes when I rewatch as You have Rob, I just am so blown away by the acting that I am speechless. Martin Clunes, Carolyn Catz, Dame Eileen Atkins.....are we seeing something that is not there, or are the award powers that be missing something. Sometimes they do things that just take my breath away.

Could it be because it's shot in Cornwall in an idyllic setting rather than a London ghetto? As Bert would say,"I just don't get it!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Why is it important to posters that The Doc Martin show or Martin Clunes receive awards?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch much other TV, like Downton Abbey or Sherlock Holmes and certainly not Dr. Who (can't get into it despite my sci fi tendencies) and sometimes when I rewatch as You have Rob, I just am so blown away by the acting that I am speechless. Martin Clunes, Carolyn Catz, Dame Eileen Atkins.....are we seeing something that is not there, or are the award powers that be missing something. Sometimes they do things that just take my breath away.

Could it be because it's shot in Cornwall in an idyllic setting rather than a London ghetto? As Bert would say,"I just don't get it!"

My impression is that, pound for pound, English actors are just better than American actors. Why that is, I don't know. Perhaps it's because there are fewer of them, and even though there are fewer TV/Movie outlets, etc., they still get more work of different kinds. Or maybe they are better trained, having a long theater tradition, etc. Fewer stars, more actors. It almost seems to me that acting performances like those in DM are taken for granted. Also, I think both MC and CC have upped their game since S1 -- maybe playing off each other, but I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it important to posters that The Doc Martin show or Martin Clunes receive awards?

A pat on the back by another party....especially by a party of fellow professionals (BAFTA) is always nice.....except when MC got his BAFTA in the 90's he got up on stage and said, "F**k this." Hey, maybe that's why he doesn't get awards now!
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio

Or you can listen on Rick Steves podcast on iTunes.

He talks about DM and Cornwall - starts about 33 minutes into the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Recognition is meaningful to some and meaningless to others. It's also neither right nor wrong. Some people tie it to money and furthering their careers, while others tie it to a feel good acknowledgement that their hard work over the years has meant something to someone or someones.

Perhaps for fans, it is acknowledgement that they've made a worthwhile choice in how they've spent their time by watching the show and the entertainment value or enjoyment they've experienced. Again, this is meaningful to some and meaningless to others AND neither right nor wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S5E3 Born With a Shotgun

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html

Be sure to check out the new Trivia page that is being created for each episode as we eliminate them!

Last week's episode trivia page: http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS1E5.html

Thanks to the submissions for last weeks episode title - we have worked out that the title refers to love triangles (of course, arising from the plot of Casablanca). We identified 4 of them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Recognition is meaningful to some and meaningless to others. It's also neither right nor wrong. Some people tie it to money and furthering their careers, while others tie it to a feel good acknowledgement that their hard work over the years has meant something to someone or someones.

Perhaps for fans, it is acknowledgement that they've made a worthwhile choice in how they've spent their time by watching the show and the entertainment value or enjoyment they've experienced. Again, this is meaningful to some and meaningless to others AND neither right nor wrong.

Well said, Lizzie...that's another thing I had thought...perhaps that recognition by a body other than ourselves reinforces the fact that we are right in selecting to spend our time with this endeavor. Maybe it's more for us. For MC and BP to denigrate recognition at this time seems a bit insulting. MC was a bit of an old wild child back in the day...he's a bit more mature now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »

Well said, Lizzie...that's another thing I had thought...perhaps that recognition by a body other than ourselves reinforces the fact that we are right in selecting to spend our time with this endeavor. Maybe it's more for us. For MC and BP to denigrate recognition at this time seems a bit insulting. MC was a bit of an old wild child back in the day...he's a bit more mature now.

MC looked like McCauley Culkin way back when. That's probably why I struggle with MC's early work. I never liked Culkin, not only HIS immaturity, but bad behavior off screen too. Seems too much correlation to MC. I'm much more comfortable with MC's later work but that doesn't mean that MC still has SOME immature tendencies, that's just a part of who he is. Just what I see from my perspective. It doesn't mean others see it the same as I do.
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Thanks Connie, his voice is so lovely to listen to. Most of the people who phoned in wanted to talk about their trip to PI and no in depth questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Glad to hear dcdmfan's thoughtful question got on it. And MC had to think about the answer a bit.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Thanks Connie, his voice is so lovely to listen to. Most of the people who phoned in wanted to talk about their trip to PI and no in depth questions.

I was wondering why MC consented to the interview in the first place other than the fact that Rick Steves has his travel shows on pbs stations which is where we see the DM series. Perhaps the call screener weeded out the people who wanted to talk about the series and just focus on people who visited or wanted to talk about Port Isaac and the surrounding southwest coast of England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    PBS is doing a good deal of cross-branding among its shows. Rick Steves pulls big numbers for PBS, and he is more interested in the location of shows than the storylines. Rick Steves is putting together a tour of Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) for 2015 so you will start seeing that promo soon.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I was wondering why MC consented to the interview in the first place other than the fact that Rick Steves has his travel shows on pbs stations which is where we see the DM series. Perhaps the call screener weeded out the people who wanted to talk about the series and just focus on people who visited or wanted to talk about Port Isaac and the surrounding southwest coast of England.

We submitted questions online on Rick Steve's website. Connie probably alerted us to the opportunity. I received an email a few days before the taping telling me that they might call me at a specified time. That day they called me, told me to hold and Rick would go to me to ask my question. I missed all the drama of the sound problems. Another woman asked a question before me and then Rick went to me. It was fun to listen to and MC's voice sounds great. The woman before me talked a long time to him about how she learned about the show. Is that included in the final product? They hung up after I asked my question. I think they allowed people just listen through the website but couldn't ask questions.
This discussion has been closed.