Protein Shakes for Gym Workouts

124»

Comments

• 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always done more cardio but have recently started to lift weights 2 days out of the week, just to focus on building up my chest muscles a bit. I'm already seeing results after 6 weeks. The main thing I've learnt is you have to lift to exhaustion point, so that after the workout your muscles are totally worn out. It's only then that you start to see significant changes. Protein shakes might help but you definitely don't need them to build muscle. I just eat lots of eggs (4 for breakfast on workout days), beans, nuts and seeds. I rarely eat meat, so you don't need that to see results either.

You wouldn't need protein shakes to do that but if you progress to a full body routine you'll need more than your 4 eggs if you want to put much muscle on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    You wouldn't need protein shakes to do that but if you progress to a full body routine you'll need more than your 4 eggs if you want to put much muscle on.

I'd recommend egg whites too not just eggs. Anyway, those people who are reluctant on taking whey protein should think otherwise, because research has shown that whey protein contains glutathione which is an antioxidant made in the liver and probably one of the strongest too. It improves your immune system and also improves your brain and preventing you from getting Alzheimer's disease. Creatine is also another supplement which is good for you that also helps the brain and you should also be consuming omega 3 from Fish oil and Linseed as well.

Source 1: http://metabolicprecision.com/articles-1/cutting-edge-whey-proteins-glutathione

Source: Reference 1. Bounous, G., and Gold, P., The biological activity of undenatured dietary whey proteins [Immunocal]: role of glutathione, Clin. Invest. Med. (1991) 14(4):296-309.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why people feel the need to eat just egg whites but I've been eating whole eggs since I was little and they've done me no harm so far (and I eat more than 4 a day a lot off the time).
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure why people feel the need to eat just egg whites but I've been eating whole eggs since I was little and they've done me no harm so far (and I eat more than 4 a day a lot off the time).

protein content eggs whites contain a lot of protein compared with eggs and no saturated fat also
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Progrez wrote: »
    protein content eggs whites contain a lot of protein compared with eggs and no saturated fat also

Well my diet isn't exactly low in protein and the whole saturated fat causing heart disease myth has been disproven so I'd say its better (and cheaper) to just stick with whole eggs.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm stocked up on tuna, mind you at over a pound for a small tin everything is so expensive these days. One of those contains almost 50g of protein and it tastes a lot nicer than a protein shake from what I have seen. Saw a pro bodybuilder on YouTube and he pulled faces as he took his supplements.
    Forum Member
    Well my diet isn't exactly low in protein and the whole saturated fat causing heart disease myth has been disproven so I'd say its better (and cheaper) to just stick with whole eggs.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

There is a lot of debate on this issue I still firmly believe that you shouldn't eat too much saturated fats but I am not a scientist. I usually have my omelette with 1 whole egg with a cup of Egg whites with some vegetables.

@Steven - That's because most of the people out there don't choose the correct type of Whey Protein Isolate and most of them only choose from a handful from a cheap GNC shop or something. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad protein powders out there. Also try adding protein powder with some milk, yoghurt, fruits (like say Strawberries or Blueberries) and ice and then you put them all in a blender, it's even more delicious than fish/tuna and smells better as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Progrez wrote: »
    There is a lot of debate on this issue I still firmly believe that you shouldn't eat too much saturated fats but I am not a scientist. I usually have my omelette with 1 whole egg with a cup of Egg whites with some vegetables.

@Steven - That's because most of the people out there don't choose the correct type of Whey Protein Isolate and most of them only choose from a handful from a cheap GNC shop or something. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad protein powders out there. Also try adding protein powder with some milk, yoghurt, fruits (like say Strawberries or Blueberries) and ice and then you put them all in a blender, it's even more delicious than fish/tuna and smells better as well.

Their is a lot of debate but after about 40 years there's not one study that proves saturated fat causes heart disease. The whole myth was based on cherry picking 7 counties that fit a theory and ignoring 16 that didn't fit because people who ate less saturated fat had more heart disease or people who ate more had less heart disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PguA4ml84hU