EE's contempt for its audience

2»

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Tbh before she joined that's exactly the kind of character I thought she'd be, based on (shallow I know) how she looked and how EE has been unable to write beyond cardboard cut-out clichés for soo long. But she has been a pleasant surprise, a real breath of fresh air. I like her. Just keep her away from bloody Dexter, in fact just get him away!
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MutantX wrote: »
    I absolutely love Nancy. Her, Di and Mick are right at the top of the list.
    Once scene in which I will always remember and relate to her is the one when her and mick are on the sofa and he asks if she's just farted.

Lol that was hilarious, and when she knocks him out with the boxing gloves on. :D

Nancy, Mick and Lady Di are my faves. :D
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Hollyoaks is full of chavs though. Mind you I think Nikki would fit right in there.

Very true. I don't like Nikki any more, she's too much of a Sam Mitchell clone. I hope she leaves for good, preferably after getting the Ronnie Mitchell treatment.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy is fantastic. ^_^

A hard working, intelligent and very kind girl who dresses in what makes her feel comfortable and not what others might want to see.

And she is not obsessed with blokes like all the other females on the square seems to be.

But I just will ask TPTB to please keep her away from bloody awful 'Gob Almighty' Dexter. :(
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    And she has a totally do able dad :p:D

Nancy is the secret love child of Ian Beale? :o:o:o
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Nancy is the secret love child of Ian Beale? :o:o:o

:D:D:D:D
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twinkletto wrote: »
    Urg, I really do not like the comedy chav characters and I am not sure if the writers hate the Working Class or are totally ignorant.
    The young blonde Carter girl is based on Waynetta Slob and Vicky Pollard? I live in a poor area and I haven't seen a young lady wearing a shell suit since 2005, her silly hairstyle and choice of boyfriends are nasty swipes too in my opinion.
    Lola, Bianca, the 1990s rave lesbian, Mrs Danny Dyer, Cat are all joke characters imo poking fun at Working Class women. Very nasty indeed.

I dont think nancy is supposed to be insulting to young working class women at all. Both she and Tina are very popular with the audience and seem an assett to the show.

Kat is a historic figure in the show- shes been in it almost 15 years & her character is established. She cant be given a massive personality transformation, just because it might not be how working class women behave today.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    Pretty shallow to judge a person based on what clothes they wear.

Exactly right.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twinkletto wrote: »
    Haha! It's a soap character, not a person.

You are still judging Nancy as a chav by the clothes she wears when her personality could not be further from chavvish.

I know she isn't a real person but the situation could be easily applied to someone else.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Nancys character... she's great! Now her Mum is a different matter..she's so chavvy that she makes me sick. Same with Nikki...get rid of them both...
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Johnny and Nancy are fab! I love Nancy. She's a really nice character and I like that she's not the dolly bird type

She will be eventually predicting the makeover before xmas
  • Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're the one referring to working class folk as wayne and waynetta slob. You should be ashamed of your prejudices

I couldn't have put it any better than you could have Sorcha, OP is ridiculous in what they're saying in my opinion, to feel like Eastenders is taking shots at us viewers and "laughing at us" because a character wears a tracksuit is ridiculous. Completely ignoring the fact that two doctors, Mad May and Yusef Khan were portrayed as two wealthy doctors who were absolute nutcases as well. If anything Eastenders portrays the working class more positively than they do others.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy was billed as tomboy but with a heart of gold, she is no way a chav

She wear tracksuits and not shell suits big difference, I think Nancy is a gr8 character and shouldn't be judged on what she wears.

Also Bianca & Kat work on a market stall, getting up at ridiculous times probably more hard working that the OP.

OP if you have never seen anyone wearing tracksuit you need to take off your rose tinted glasses and leave your leafy suburban life and walk into the real world you will see people can wear tracksuits and are not chavs.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,265
    Forum Member
    How is Nancy a chav?
  • sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy needs to go up west instead of buying the shite that’s sold on the market.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Nancy is one of the best thought out characters in terms of styling and personality I've seen in a long time, it's not too try hard like Tina Carter or too tragically predictable like Whitney but her look goes perfectly with her personality and is also one of the most accurate representations of young people in East London today.

The fact you see it as a swipe at EastEnders viewers says more about your pre-misconceptions than anything else. The oversized sportswear for example, takes inspiration from early 90s New York and New Jersey style, something big high street brands like Top Shop and Top Man are trying to recreate with their own "oversized" range of clothing. The way her hair is styled is totally different to the other girls in the square, while Whitney goes for the "same as every other girl I'm competing with" look, Nancy just doesn't care and does it how she likes it, a great character trait.

Linda Carter is a bright, always putting on a show for the front of house type of woman. The clothing ranges from brash and OTT to very stylish and subdued. I see nothing wrong with it.

Lola is a single mother and a very low income, she also still very young so her clothing and style focuses on cost and comfort which is pretty accurate and if it reflects true life than so be it, it's not poking fun, it's just reflective of the times.

What's wrong with Kat's style? Her hair is always down is a relaxed manner, there's always a lot of cleavage on show but that's been the case since she arrived so again, how is it displaying contempt of viewers?

Might need to educate yourself on the modern day styling of people relative to their social standing before judging and accusing others of ignorance when you've displayed plenty in just one poorly constructed paragraph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Guys don't feed the troll