Options

Lynda Bellingham

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye out tomorrow on tv for Lynda's oxo advert..being shown on Christmas Day :)
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Keep an eye out tomorrow on tv for Lynda's oxo advert..being shown on Christmas Day :)

Any idea what time it will be on?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe during Corrie?
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    I read that it will be shown during Corrie at 20:45 tonight.

I'll be raising a glass to Lynda's memory today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, that's a really good spot for it :)
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I really liked Lynda and got to know her thru Loose Woman as I had not seen her so often on the telly. She was lovely but I think she wrote her book, not just to help people but to make money so her family would be financially secure after she died. One of the reasons for keeping her cancer private, I think, was to make her book more interesting to the public. I saw a lot of speculation about what kind of cancer she had in the media. She was great, warm and had a great joy in life.

I find the constant interviews with her husband a bit of a turn off, quite honestly. I can understand his grief but I think the media have gone on and on and on and on about his grief. Tragically he is not the only man who has lost his wife to cancer.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knew it was coming then, when David mentioned the gravy just before the break, lead into it :D

Was a nice tribute :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    was it shown ? i didn't really take much notice :( maybe i put kettle on when it came on
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    was it shown ? i didn't really take much notice :( maybe i put kettle on when it came on

Yes it was shown during the last ad break of Coronation Street (first advert in the segment)

A nice simple on screen tribute after the (old) advert. I thought it was nicely done.
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely to see the ad on last night. Lost my father to cancer earlier this month and it my family toasted him at the same time.

The Oxo ad has a great family Christmas feeling to it and to see Lynda's lovely smile at the end was the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I taped corrie and i saw it when the last adverts came on..aww it was nice :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just gonna say it...

Her husband is milking it. He's actually being really creepy and inappropriate.
    Tweeting from her account, walking round a Dubai hotel hanging oxo cubes from a tree.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    Lovely to see the ad on last night. Lost my father to cancer earlier this month and it my family toasted him at the same time.

The Oxo ad has a great family Christmas feeling to it and to see Lynda's lovely smile at the end was the icing on the cake.
    Sorry to hear that, cleo.
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I'm just gonna say it...

Tweeting from her account, walking round a Dubai hotel hanging oxo cubes from a tree.
    Perhaps he's overwhelmed by grief. People can do strange things when they're not coping too well.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just gonna say it...

I kinda felt that too about him but didn't like to say.

I liked Lynda Bellingham and read her first book years ago. She was a very heavy smoker, a really really heavy drinker and very promiscuous. She was adopted as a baby and finally met her birth mother. So she had a lot to contend with and then there were her unhappy relationships.

I don't know how the other Loose Women feel but her husband says being a Loose Woman really hampered her career and she really regretted doing it.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the actresses that presented Loose Woman do the show delibrately or was it because they couldnt get any other work?

The presenters & journalists, ok maybe, but the actresses?
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Did the actresses that presented Loose Woman do the show delibrately or was it because they couldnt get any other work?

For Jamelia it's a high point of her tv career, the singing career never took off, she's a bit too dim for The Wright Stuff and Have I Got News For You (In my opinion) but for actresses I always assume the acting work has dried up so it's a stop gap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just gonna say it...

Yeah, that was all very odd. I did wonder if he has taken comfort in the bottle?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's taken comfort in the idea that having a dead wife, who was beloved in the 80's/90's, appears to have made him famous.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I kinda felt that too about him but didn't like to say.

I liked Lynda Bellingham and read her first book years ago. She was a very heavy smoker, a really really heavy drinker and very promiscuous. She was adopted as a baby and finally met her birth mother. So she had a lot to contend with and then there were her unhappy relationships.

I don't know how the other Loose Women feel but her husband says being a Loose Woman really hampered her career and she really regretted doing it.

How do you know this?:o From reading her book?
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Probably because they need work. I mean, non of the women on it are A-list celebs are they? I suppose the 'anchor' position may be seem as more senior/brag-worthy though.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I'm just gonna say it...

You know funny you say that, I've heard others say the exact same thing and I agree. I seem to remember something dodgy about him in the press when Lynda first married him when she was on Loose Women. Not that it's necessarily true, but I do remember thinking something was odd then.

Anyway I saw the tribute on Christmas day and it was lovely. She will be sorely missed :(
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, cleo.

Perhaps he's overwhelmed by grief. People can do strange things when they're not coping too well.

I agree, grief makes some people behave very oddly, it's only when you look back and think '"Did I really say and do what I did" no wonder people gave me some funny looks at the time. You have to suffer it, to understand why some people act the way they do, don't judge too harshly.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was great to see a 10 year clip of Lynda laughing her head off and thoroughly enjoying herself on an Audience with Joan Rivers which was on over Christmas. With audience members asking questions, Joan said there was nothing she wouldn't do for money and recalling all the lucrative personal hygiene advertising she'd done in her time, Lynda's big moment came when she enquired if she'd ever advertised Tena Lady! Of course said Joan, but they're called Depends in the States, oh yes and Preparation H for $75,000! :D
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's taken comfort in the idea that having a dead wife, who was beloved in the 80's/90's, appears to have made him famous.

Or, alternatively, his dead wife is being publicly mourned/celebrated, and he's also trying to get in the spirit of both mourning her loss and celebrating her, and maybe he's having difficulty handling the two things in combination with Christmas celebrations and the fact he's lost his wife.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bela wrote: »
    Or, alternatively, his dead wife is being publicly mourned/celebrated, and he's also trying to get in the spirit of both mourning her loss and celebrating her, and maybe he's having difficulty handling the two things in combination with Christmas celebrations and the fact he's lost his wife.

Just a thought.

I agree. There is no script for grief and maybe it's his way of keeping her 'alive'. I know someone (former neighbour, known them 30 years) whose wife of 40 + years died a week before this Christmas (yes, cancer). He had just taken her to live at the coast, moving away from their family and friends because it was her wish to live by the sea. Even though he knew she probably wouldn't have long there, he uprooted. She spent all of two nights in her new home before going into hospital back here in their home city and dying. How can anyone tell her grieving husband how to feel or behave right now? They used to love spending Christmas somewhere sunny. I wouldn't blame him one bit for taking off there in the New Year and getting ratted. Life is cruel.