Options

American Horror Story: Freak Show US Pace (spoilers in tags please)

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    Ryan's Tweet
    Sounds pretty final for Jessica, not sure if this is good or bad... Hmm... If she goes I want Frances or Lily to take lead in S5

I can see why she's had enough her characters are pretty much travelling in the same box over and over just different destinations. Think that comes with the danger with using the same cast over and over because its only so far they can push character development within the acting range they have. I suspect that's what Evan peters problem is the guy is so limited his character is always the same.

Kathy bates was Criminally underused this season as was Frances Conroy
    actually amazed Frances Conroy agreed the role not because of vanity it just seemed like a complete waste of her acting
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get through this season, oh dear lord it hurts.

Asylum was pretty bad, Coven was a gaping chasm of plot holes, and starting Freak Show I just want to cry at the same old shenanigans played off as a "story". Does it get better?

To me the only thing that would make it somewhat exciting again is to make everything from near the end of season 1 all be in Vivienne's head. It's a cheap gimmick but the recurring theme of unwanted or unnatural children while she's locked up and pregnant, I'd buy more than what they've given me. :D
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    I can see why she's had enough her characters are pretty much travelling in the same box over and over just different destinations. Think that comes with the danger with using the same cast over and over because its only so far they can push character development within the acting range they have. I suspect that's what Evan peters problem is the guy is so limited his character is always the same.

Kathy bates was Criminally underused this season as was Frances Conroy
    actually amazed Frances Conroy agreed the role not because of vanity it just seemed like a complete waste of her acting

Evan is pretty useless, his role in Coven... Wow! :blush::blush::blush:
    I really, desperately, need Frances as lead next time :D

--
    Has anyone worked out the Series 1 connection? Or is it just Elsa's ghost going "home" and staying there?

Just read a theory that Constance is Dot & Bette's child. God love the internet. :D
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked the last episode and the series as a whole was enjoyable despite some of the same flaws as Coven: practically everyone shows no aversion to murder all of a sudden and the overreliance on shock at the expense of the story. Apart from the finale the episodes I enjoyed the most were the Edward Moordrake ones and the Pepper one.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt the freak show ending was a bit of a damp squib. There just wasn't enough emotional attachment to the freaks that were left - except may Eve and Desiree - for there to be much impact from the massacre. And I felt dandy deserved a better ending.

But....

Loved Elsa's ending. As soon as Halloween was mentioned you knew what was going to happen.....so the twist was a surprise. I like that she didn't have to pay and that she has her familly. And I loved the little codas for Jimmy & Bette & Dot and Desiree .

Overall I enjoyed the season and it was a marked improvement on Coven. Initially I thought it might be better than Asylum but despite Asylum being pretty messy and at times unsatisfying it did all hang together much better and was more shocking and much more scary - perhaps because the characters were easier to like or at least empathise with.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I'm really glad Edward Moordrake came back. That was a perfect goodbye to Jessica Lange but over all a disappointing series. Too all over the place. It had so much potential at the beginning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised that Sarah Paulson's characters have survived all 4 season- impressive. I hope she plays a villain next season though.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised that Sarah Paulson's characters have survived all 4 season- impressive. I hope she plays a villain next season though.

I agree, I'd love for Sarah to be one of the villains next season.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the first al episode, it was pretty poor but not the worst in the season.

It is by far my least favourite so far, I hope next years is a big improvement.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally hope Sarah isn't in the next series, she needs to go along with Evan.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Just watched the final episode, it was pretty poor but not the worst in the season.

It is by far my least favourite so far, I hope next years is a big improvement.

That was meant to say "final"... dunno what my phones auto correct did there :D
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Sarah and Jessica were the saving grace of this series (for me) but I think for as long as jessica is there, they will create a lead character for her and base the rest of the series around her. Her exit will give the show a clean slate.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I agree, I'd love for Sarah to be one of the villains next season.

Same here. Someone even more terrifying than Bloody Face and LaLaurie combined.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I Have to say I loved that version of heroes. Makes me wish Marlene was still around to do a Bowie cover album.

Overall it was a poor season aside from the standout Pepper episode.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Have to say I loved that version of heroes. Makes me wish Marlene was still around to do a Bowie cover album.

Overall it was a poor season aside from the standout Pepper episode.

Totally agree, Pepper episode was wonderful, the other episodes were dire.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I enjoyed it better than two and three, but next time they really need to swap the characters about a bit more as a few are just playing the same type of characters each season. Also, sad to see Jessica leave, but it will be good to see someone else in the lead next time, preferably Frances Conroy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, an absolutely diabolical season.
    To say people are raving about one of the worst written for characters (Dandy) speaks volume about what kind of people enjoyed this tripe.
    Jessica Lange's worst role by a mile. Her singing should be condemned.
    The premature exits by real talent like Frances Conroy, John Carroll Lynch and Kathy Bates was criminal.
    The only bright spots came in the guest performances: Wes Bently, Naomi Grossman, Mare Winningham and the glorious cameo from Lily Rabe. Speaking of which, her absense was heavily felt throughout.
  • Options
    simsysimsy Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem for me is they give 13 episodes to about 7/8 writers who write an episode or two each. It needs at most two people with immense passion for the story they're creating to spend time constructing a good scare and drama filled story. I enjoyed all series, but they do tend to get a bit wet mid season and leave some pretty big plot holes. And I think if Jessica/Sarah P etc come back, mess around with their characters as their characters journey is getting a bit samey.
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Only 34. Really sad news.
  • Options
    loopilouloopilou Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awwww RIP meep
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic news :(
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Overall, an absolutely diabolical season.
    To say people are raving about one of the worst written for characters (Dandy) speaks volume about what kind of people enjoyed this tripe.

What "kind of people" is that exactly? I'll never understand (nor do I wish to) people who can't help but throw insults (badly veiled or otherwise) around just because others happen to hold a different opinion on a work of fiction.

Frankly, I think that itself speaks volumes about certain people.

Very sad news, I heard of his accident but never thought he wouldn't pull through. :(