Could you do a sexless relationship?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes of course in fact that is what I want

Part of the reason I won't even do a companionship type relationship is sooner or later the other person may want sex and that is something I not willing to do.

This. ^ That is what makes the 'friend zone' so appealing to us asexuals.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't bother me, if it was the right person
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spin it the other way round. My OH (of 17 years) and I don't have sex anymore, apart from very occasional shenanigans, since he was honest enough to admit to me about 7 or 8 years ago that he didn't find my body physically attractive any more (I'd put weight on). But he still tells me he loves me every day, and constantly wants hugs and holds.

We do have an understanding in place that I can seek to fulfill that 'need' outside of our relationship - though I'd hardly call it a need, and these days it seldom happens except as a result of drunken nights out. In the last year there've been two such dalliances and to be honest, neither of them were particularly worth it when all was said and done.

What I actually find quite strange is the number of people who seem to regard a sexual encounter as the starting basis for a romantic relationship.

I don't think anyone's saying that every sexual encounter is the starting point of a relationship, I'd however think it's naive to believe that is some instances, it can be.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    This. ^ That is what makes the 'friend zone' so appealing to us asexuals.

I have put a few girls in the friend zone over the years.

There was one in college who I was close friends with for years and I never knew she spent years dropping hints and doing whatever she could to get me to ask her out but I never picked up on it.

My other friend told me what she was up to but I didn't know if to belive him then a few years ago someone from college who was a close friend of hers added me and told me she was open about it to her and always wondered why I never did anything.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were dating someone and found out early on they didn't like or could perform sex, would you stop dating them even if you liked them? Would you be willing to make some compromise perhaps like receiving oral or masturbation? Is it of different importance between genders?

Yes, could do. No problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have put a few girls in the friend zone over the years.

There was one in college who I was close friends with for years and I never knew she spent years dropping hints and doing whatever she could to get me to ask her out but I never picked up on it.

My other friend told me what she was up to but I didn't know if to belive him then a few years ago someone from college who was a close friend of hers added me and told me she was open about it to her and always wondered why I never did anything.

Sounds familiar, thou, its been like that my whole life. And like you, I'm also not 'touchy feely'. But unlike you I am a romantic asexual, as in you're type D and I'm type B from the now disused asexual classifications. The new type classification would be we are both averse asexuals, but I prefer the old classification.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At my age it isn't a problem.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make me sad to not have a sexual relationship with my husband :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    At my age it isn't a problem.

You have either not hit 'the wall' yet, or are way past the wall.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course.
    I'm 34 and still a virgin. (I am not ashamed)
    I don't even think I have much of a libido myself anyway and besides it's the person I would fall for not what they can physically do for me.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have either not hit 'the wall' yet, or are way past the wall.

Any particular wall ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Any particular wall ?

The one all women hit when they are 30 - 35 ish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    It's sad but true, some prescription drugs can kill off desire, I know of one in particular that not only has that effect but for some people has drastically changed their body shape and hugely increased their weight in just the space of a year and there is nothing they can do about it. Even years after going through the difficult withdrawal they are stuck with this body which doesn't feel like their own.
    The point I'm making here is that a situation like this can completely destroy one's sex life. Even in a strong relationship desire desolves, each become tetchy and trying to talk about the situation is full of difficult and exhausting emotions. So it becomes the elephant in the room. Thinking and saying you'd stay with your partner if sex became so difficult is comendable, but in reality it becomes a very different thing.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one all women hit when they are 30 - 35 ish.

Haha, what tosh! I wonder if that speaks more about you and your interaction with these women, than anything... What an absurd blanket statement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couples can become too comfortable with what they like sexually after a long and vigorous sex life. Then they think, as its always been good, that perhaps it's their age and only natural. That may be so but it is well worth experimenting with other techniques to see if they can renew what you once had.

After a bit of a dry spell we found S&M and role play. I didn't think I liked pain so always dismissed it before - how wrong I was and have a new found respect for my nipples! :D
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I could, and at my age would welcome it. Having sex does not mean the partner is deeply in love with you, it means they are sexually active...

[Been messed about enough by some who don't know the difference between love and lust].
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already have a sexless relationship with every woman in London!
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i think it depends.if they were cash rich with a five bedroom house plus are also stunning looking then it might be ok
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooooooo.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the idea of companionship later in life
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I think that sex is a very important part of a relationship! So my answer would be no, I couldn't do it.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's get straight to the realism here - anyone who says they could tolerate a sexless relationship is more than likely not being fully honest; certainly not for anyone under the age of 60.

As tempted as I am to post personal experiences here I won't; but let's just say that every gf, every platonic female friend and acquaintance I have ever met is definitely preoccupied with sex - far more so than men. The notion of expecting them to meet a man and stay with him without intimacy and solely out of 'love' or 'companionship'... LOL, just LOL.

Could I cope with a sexless relationship? Probably not, even though I don't consider sex that important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's get straight to the realism here - anyone who says they could tolerate a sexless relationship is more than likely not being fully honest; certainly not for anyone under the age of 60.

Why at least 2 Asexuals myself being one of them have posted in this thread and sex is the very last thing we want.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why at least 2 Asexuals myself being one of them have posted in this thread and sex is the very last thing we want.
    Forgive my ignorance, but does being assexual mean you completely forsake romantic relationships, or you do have relationships but just don't indulge in sexual activity?

For clarity, I had in mind people who are looking for love, and the likelihood of them coping without sex once in the relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Forgive my ignorance, but does being assexual mean you completely forsake romantic relationships, or you do have relationships but just don't indulge in sexual activity?

For clarity, I had in mind people who are looking for love, and the likelihood of them coping without sex once in the relationship.
    Depends on the Asexual.

I am Aromantic Asexual so I don't feel romantic or sexual attraction or deseires.

Hetroromantic Asexuals feel romantic attraction to the opposite gender but no sexual attraction or desires.

Homoromantics Asexuals feel romantic attraction to the same gender but no sexual attraction or desires.

Biromantic Asexuals feel romantic attraction to both genders but no sexual attraction or desires.

As I posted earier Asexuals have got marrired but never have sex.

Some may marry a sexual person and eithet have sex for the other persons sake dispite not liking it or allowing the other person to go out and have sex with someone else.