12 Monkeys (Season 1 *US Pace*)

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Except here's the paradox (of sorts). If Cole gets rid of that virus, then the future he came from (and all of those characters) will no longer be accessible to us; that future, Cole's future is one where the virus is held responsible. If he destroys the virus, that future ceases to be. Does that mean Cole would cease to be also? By the very definition, that's how it should play out. All Cole's friends back in the future (in addition to the storyline with the marauders or whatever) would evidently become pointless.

At the mo Cole hasn't done the thing required to stop the virus being unleashed and his future (with him in the time travel house) being changed. If an ep sees him stop the virus for good what will happen...(scratches chin..)
    (1) he is all jumped out, he remains, he lives with blonde doc happily ever after
    (2) ..... well, seriously that IS the only thing (tv-wise) that can happen.
    If "a future following the non-release" does NOT contain a Cole we're not going to see him vanish. Like if I went back and killed my grandparents I wouldn't immediately vanish. Of couse if I THEN travelled to the future I would be an unknown person having never been born in this new time line, but I don't sign up to the "I'd just vanish" belief.
    As to what happens to his future-buddies, well with the virus stopped and the future turning out differently, well they'd either have completely different lives or never be born in this new timeline. As to whether they still exist in the alternative timeline where the virus was released, well that's another matter altogether. :)

If it irritates me, it's coming out. :p By removing it, that automatically presents me with a better future. ;)
    unfortunately I've just checked, and in the alernative universe where you left it in, well you're President of the World there. :p
    (you left it in, finger got infected, rushed to hospital, discovered you shared the rare blood type with a trillionaire just brought in requiring a blood transfusion, she is so grateful that.... well that was the start of your journey to Presidentialhoodness. - bet you wished you'd put down those darn tweezers now, right ?! :D)
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    If "a future following the non-release" does NOT contain a Cole we're not going to see him vanish. Like if I went back and killed my grandparents I wouldn't immediately vanish. Of couse if I THEN travelled to the future I would be an unknown person having never been born in this new time line, but I don't sign up to the "I'd just vanish" belief.
    Yet... If you went back in time and killed your grandparents, you'd have never been born, so by definition, would you have been able to travel back in time in the first place? :p For all we know, the second time changes, the minute you step back into a time vortex (of sorts) you're either erased, or time corrects itself. Of course, nobody actually knows, but that's the joy of theories, even if (in this instance) it can give you a headache.
    As to what happens to his future-buddies, well with the virus stopped and the future turning out differently, well they'd either have completely different lives or never be born in this new timeline.
    You're right, we would, but the showrunners have gone to certain lengths to make sure we also care about the story being told in the future. What's the point if it's going to be erased?

We've had history between Cole and Ramsay, there's that deserter girl who has recently joined them, in addition to that soldier guy and the doctor herself (the one in charge or the tardis). If Cole changes the past, then all what we know about the future will be erased, thus what's the point of telling any of that story?
    unfortunately I've just checked, and in the alernative universe where you left it in, well you're President of the World there. [snip]
    Well I'll be damned. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet... If you went back in time and killed your grandparents, you'd have never been born, so by definition, would you have been able to travel back in time in the first place? :p
    I believe - if you go BACK you can basically do what you want, as going back cuts you off from where you traveled from. Killing parent, all fine, you'll still be there, AOK.
    Going to the past creates a new and different time line; your previous timeline still exists but you have no access to it.
    ie. TL1, now, HItler lived and did stuff.
    I go back to 1930, creating a TL2, kill Hitler, stopping all the stuff.
    Now TL1 and TL2 both exist but I now live in TL2 and have no way of getting back / returning to TL1. So I have not stopped Hitler doing stuff in TL1, rather I have created a new timeline in which he didn't do it TL2.
    You're right, we would, but the showrunners have gone to certain lengths to make sure we also care about the story being told in the future. What's the point if it's going to be erased?
    showing the future and the baddies all set on taking over the facility shows us Cole doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to 'fix' things. And maybe if he does fix things and the show gives us a flash forward thing it'll be peppered with a whole load of "hey, I know you, you were a right rotter but in the 'fixed' TL you're kinda a good guy, ain't that sweet" stuff.
    Forum Member
    Going to the past creates a new and different time line; your previous timeline still exists but you have no access to it.
    Except you wouldn't know if your former timeline did still exist, or whether you've simply created a new one. If you can no longer visit TL1 (the original) then what proof is there that it's ongoing? ;-)

I would rather believe that time travel (in reality) will never be possible. If it is, then it'll be completely different to how we think we understand it, and jumping between the past and future wont change a damn thing.
    showing the future and the baddies all set on taking over the facility shows us Cole doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to 'fix' things. And maybe if he does fix things and the show gives us a flash forward thing it'll be peppered with a whole load of "hey, I know you, you were a right rotter but in the 'fixed' TL you're kinda a good guy, ain't that sweet" stuff.
    That's not going to sit well with me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except you wouldn't know if your former timeline did still exist, or whether you've simply created a new one. If you can no longer visit TL1 (the original) then what proof is there that it's ongoing? ;-)
    let me introduce you to my Universe jumping machine :D (you've wached Fringe, right ?!)
    but seriously(:o:p) I think my version of how-TT-would-work is the simplest and best as it lacks the paradoxes present in other versions.
    I would rather believe that time travel (in reality) will never be possible. If it is, then it'll be completely different to how we think we understand it, and jumping between the past and future wont change a damn thing.
    no>:(nononononono>:(nonononononononononono>:( - though it THAT was the case then it would make for an interesting movie - guy goes back, finds he is unable to change a thing which means he is unable to interact with anyone or with anything, thus he soon dies of starvation and suffocation. So the next tt goes back, this time a lady, with a breathing apparatus and a picnic lunch, but she is unable to move around cos that would dislodge atoms and dislodging atoms = interaction = ability to change things. So the next tt goes back, this time a transgender person, and he materialises in a ghost-like form, allowing people to simply pass through him unaffected, so he can 'fly' around looking at stuff. But the problem comes with his "return journey"

If he initially went back 100 years and "returning" means going forward 100 years then do you really think that with the trillions of variables in play, the random decisions made by the billions of people and animals and other stuff, that once completing his "going forward 100 years" journey, he'd look out and see an IDENTICAL world to the one he originally left. I've posed this before and some are fine with saying yes, but I'm firmly in the not-a-chance camp.

However, if the machine that sent him back is somehow able to hold onto to him (I guess kinda like the 12 monkeys machine) and "returning" means being pulled back home, well then that's ... well I don't know about that. :confused::blush:

btw: if a machine existed that combined (1) the pulling back to an unaffected/identical universe with (2) tt creates a new time line, such that you could go back, kill Hitler but return to your 'proper' timeline would return you to one where Hitler did his stuff, well then a big money-making venture could be set up whereby you pay to be sent back to any point in history, having the free range to do ANYTHING without suffering any legal consequences whatsoever, since you'd return to your original timeline in which you didn't do anything wrong. :o
    Forum Member
    let me introduce you to my Universe jumping machine :D (you've wached Fringe, right ?!) but seriously(:o:p) I think my version of how-TT-would-work is the simplest and best as it lacks the paradoxes present in other versions.
    But again, it's only one theory out of many. Nobody truly knows (obviously). And no, Fringe (along with Warehouse 13) are two shows that I never actually got into, weirdly enough.
    [snip]If he initially went back 100 years and "returning" means going forward 100 years then do you really think that with the trillions of variables in play, the random decisions made by the billions of people and animals and other stuff, that once completing his "going forward 100 years" journey, he'd look out and see an IDENTICAL world to the one he originally left. I've posed this before and some are fine with saying yes, but I'm firmly in the not-a-chance camp.[snip]
    My point is that of all the time travel theories we have, we may not even be close to understanding how it actually plays out.

If, in the future the existence of time travel is a reality, then by definition alone it's already happening. People (or aliens?) in the future have the ability to come back here. Seeing as how nobody has ever heard about anyone coming back in time from the future, I would suspect it hasn't happened, and in turn, that the technology doesn't exist.

Hell, it might be that the technology does exist, but there are certain rules in place, so that users can only observe and not intervene, but even then, in the centuries to come, you're always going to have bad people who want to do bad things, so the inevitability of such a time traveling ability coming to light would present problems for the continuum.

There's another possibility that we (humanity) have wiped ourselves out in the future, long before we ever get to working out time travel (thus we've not been able to develop and use it cause we're extinct).

Soooo many possibilities. Still, I think if it were possible, it would be happening, but I don't think any of the existing theories are completely true (or correct) to what the actuality of them will be. Until anyone actually experiences it, nobody will know. It's all speculation and guess work at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But again, it's only one theory out of many. Nobody truly knows (obviously).
    though methinks some theories can be disregarded as stupid/unworkable/illogical. :D
    And no, Fringe (along with Warehouse 13) are two shows that I never actually got into, weirdly enough.
    :o..............:o
    My point is that of all the time travel theories we have, we may not even be close to understanding how it actually plays out.
    Yup, one thing I've never seen on tv or in a movie is a simple tt story, maybe set in a lab, showing a guy with his tt machine doing simple tests to examine the consequences of tt.
    If, in the future the existence of time travel is a reality, then by definition alone it's already happening.
    not if, for a time travel journey to be taken, there needs to be a special "arrival" point building at the place in the past to which you want to travel. If there are no such buildings in existence right now then we're not gonna see any tt turn up cos they've got no place to 'land'.
    Seeing as how nobody has ever heard about anyone coming back in time from the future, I would suspect it hasn't happened, and in turn, that the technology doesn't exist.
    if a tt turns up in that 'ghost' form, unable to interact, then no-one will know that they've arrived.
    Hell, it might be that the technology does exist, but there are certain rules in place, so that users can only observe and not intervene, but even then, in the centuries to come, you're always going to have bad people who want to do bad things, so the inevitability of such a time traveling ability coming to light would present problems for the continuum.
    good point... any theory on the workings of time travel has to hold firm if used by dicks. :cool:
    Forum Member
    though methinks some theories can be disregarded as stupid/unworkable/illogical.
    Quote so. :)
    not if, for a time travel journey to be taken, there needs to be a special "arrival" point building at the place in the past to which you want to travel. If there are no such buildings in existence right now then we're not gonna see any tt turn up cos they've got no place to 'land'.
    Why would a time traveler need to land? You're assuming (rightly or wrongly) that there needs to be a connection on each end, when we've no proof that is needed. :p

Time Travel could be a device we ride (like the Tardis or Delorian), it could be a jump through time (like in Terminator), or it could be through a gate (like in Terra Nova). There's no basis to fact that says there must be two points in time for the traveler to connect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^granted there is no proof to my "arrival" point theory, but this theory does explain away why we've not seen any tt turn up to say "cooeeeeeey", since there are no arrival points on Earth right now then no-one can turn up. Also, it could follow that time travel CAN'T be invented UNTIL there are such arrival points in existence.

If a tt turned up in the middle of a cricket field then that would have consequences. A possible consequence could be the non-invention of time travel. (a bunch of religious nuts view a time traveller as going against their beliefs so they seek out any scientist looking a tt and kill them - and they thus do in the very person who would work out how to tt) Thus any theory of tt that allows a ttt to land anywhere they wish is flawed, so lets give them somewhere safe to land.

A safe place - build a dome, make it impenitrable, fill it with food and water, make the inside self sustainable, no waste. A traveller could travel from the future to this dome, view the goings on outside thru a multitude of cameras, and never affect the outside world because there would be zero evidence that anything was different inside the dome. This dome removes the grandpa paradox thing. QED (right ?!)
    Forum Member
    A safe place - build a dome, make it impenitrable, fill it with food and water, make the inside self sustainable, no waste. A traveller could travel from the future to this dome, view the goings on outside thru a multitude of cameras, and never affect the outside world because there would be zero evidence that anything was different inside the dome. This dome removes the grandpa paradox thing. QED (right ?!)
    In theory, yeah. :)
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Ramse's storyline really boring this past episode. Also if Foster has created a cure for the virus of 2033, then why not strike a deal to use Spearhead's core to retrieve Cole from 2017, give the cure for virus 2033 or the way to synthesize it, and then send him back to 2032 to deliver the cure to Spearhead or to Dr Jones so that they can get it ready for the 2033 strain and wipe it out before it mutates
  • SyrenaSyrena Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone who has watched episode 8 please explain to me how Cole was in 2015 when explosion happened and was talking to his rescuers who were a girl and a man then at the end of the episode he is actually in 2017 and he is rescued by a girl and a man??
    I know that they tried to splinter him twice so that may account for time jump but it doesn't explain the girl and man who were there in 2015 and in 2017.
    Or am I being a tad stupid :p
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Syrena wrote: »
    Can someone who has watched episode 8 please explain to me how Cole was in 2015 when explosion happened and was talking to his rescuers who were a girl and a man then at the end of the episode he is actually in 2017 and he is rescued by a girl and a man??
    I know that they tried to splinter him twice so that may account for time jump but it doesn't explain the girl and man who were there in 2015 and in 2017.
    Or am I being a tad stupid :p

He never talked to anyone in 2015. He was in 2017 from the moment he woke up, he just thought he was still in 2015.

He was in 2015 the moment explosion happened but would have jumped to 2017 (the failed attempt to get him back to 2043 at the start of the episode) before the explosion killed him. He then woke up in 2017 and talked to the Girl.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,052
    Forum Member
    Well it's got a second season, so it'll be interesting to see where we end up when this one finishes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    He never talked to anyone in 2015. He was in 2017 from the moment he woke up, he just thought he was still in 2015.

He was in 2015 the moment explosion happened but would have jumped to 2017 (the failed attempt to get him back to 2043 at the start of the episode) before the explosion killed him. He then woke up in 2017 and talked to the Girl.

Thank you so much :) I was being a thicko then lol.
    I am so pleased that it has been given a second season
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's got a second season, so it'll be interesting to see where we end up when this one finishes.

I am so happy that it has been given a second season. :)
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much :) I was being a thicko then lol.
    I am so pleased that it has been given a second season

When I watched the episode, I thought he was initially being rescued in 2015 but then they made the failed attempt to splinter him and dropped him in 2017, this resulted in the bit of wood he and his rescuer had been moving falling back onto him again. He finally came around from that trauma, started shouting again and a new rescuer found him in 2017. That was my understanding of what happened!

It's strange that Cassandra so instantly assumes a lack of body/survivor means he must have succeeded, she should know better by now!

Fantastic news that we're getting a season 2, I'm enjoying this more every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I watched the episode, I thought he was initially being rescued in 2015 but then they made the failed attempt to splinter him and dropped him in 2017, this resulted in the bit of wood he and his rescuer had been moving falling back onto him again. He finally came around from that trauma, started shouting again and a new rescuer found him in 2017. That was my understanding of what happened!

It's strange that Cassandra so instantly assumes a lack of body/survivor means he must have succeeded, she should know better by now!

Fantastic news that we're getting a season 2, I'm enjoying this more every week.

Thank you :)
    What confused me was the fact that there was a girl and a man trying to rescue him in what possibly was 2015 then when the splinter failed Cole was in 2017 where a girl (who sounded the same as 2015 one) was trying to rescue him. Looks like he was in 2017 that whole time as the year didn't come up on screen as it normally does. Wibbly wobbly timey whimey ;-)

I am enjoying it though and I am so pleased too that it has been given a second season.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Thank you :)
    What confused me was the fact that there was a girl and a man trying to rescue him in what possibly was 2015 then when the splinter failed Cole was in 2017 where a girl (who sounded the same as 2015 one) was trying to rescue him. Looks like he was in 2017 that whole time as the year didn't come up on screen as it normally does. Wibbly wobbly timey whimey ;-)

I am enjoying it though and I am so pleased too that it has been given a second season.

Telling us the year when they accidentally moved him to 2017 would have spoiled the rescue scenes though when the viewer is fooled into thinking Cassandra's watching as he's pulled up. Or was that just me? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telling us the year when they accidentally moved him to 2017 would have spoiled the rescue scenes though when the viewer is fooled into thinking Cassandra's watching as he's pulled up. Or was that just me? :(

You are spot on thank you.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was kind of a filler episode. Don't like what Jones did by burning the true cure. Why can't she just send Cole back with the cures Spearhead had created for all the strains and tell him to give a copy to Cassandra and maybe another copy to her past self. I know she only wants to reset time for her daughter to be alive but why can't she have the best of both and introduce the cure to 2015 too just in case Cole never stops its release.

Ramse's storyline is completely and utterly boring. Did he just let Cole believe Elena and his son had died at Spearhead? He's no better than Jones by just giving out half truths and lies of omission to get people on his side

Glad theres a season 2 though as overall I quite like the show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    Ramse's storyline is completely and utterly boring. Did he just let Cole believe Elena and his son had died at Spearhead?
    iiuc Ramse wants Cole to stop trying to fix things because he just found he has a son and believes fixing things would result in him losing his son -> no disease = no global devastation = no hook up with the gal and thus no son. So just as Old Lady Doc is blinked with her "we must do it THIS way so I can get my daughter back", Ramse is "we must stop and just live with things as they are" cos he wants to keep ahold of his family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    That was kind of a filler episode. Don't like what Jones did by burning the true cure. Why can't she just send Cole back with the cures Spearhead had created for all the strains and tell him to give a copy to Cassandra and maybe another copy to her past self. I know she only wants to reset time for her daughter to be alive but why can't she have the best of both and introduce the cure to 2015 too just in case Cole never stops its release.

Ramse's storyline is completely and utterly boring. Did he just let Cole believe Elena and his son had died at Spearhead? He's no better than Jones by just giving out half truths and lies of omission to get people on his side

Glad theres a season 2 though as overall I quite like the show

I agree with you regarding Jones and Ramse, but if Jones did send Cole back with the cure then the show would be over ;-) Jones isn't thinking rationally nor is Ramse.

I did like it when Cassie's watch changed ( the scratch on the watch face went away ) and I noticed that Cassie had a different coloured streak of hair at the front, not sure if that means anything.
    Nest weeks episode looks good and it looks like Jennifer has survived in 2043 or at least the all female nomads she started have
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling that the end of season cliffhanger (I'm sure there will be one) is the reveal that Ramse is The Witness/Leader of the Army of the 12 Monkeys.

I had been thinking that they were going to make (an older) Cole the Witness but now they've given Ramse a reason to want the Virus infected future to remain I'm guessing it will be him.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the end of season cliffhanger (I'm sure there will be one) is the reveal that Ramse is The Witness/Leader of the Army of the 12 Monkeys.

I had been thinking that they were going to make (an older) Cole the Witness but now they've given Ramse a reason to want the Virus infected future to remain I'm guessing it will be him.

Now that would be a nice twist :cool:.
    I like Kirk Acevedo as an actor, so would welcome a bigger role for Ramsey on the show.