Gerrard this, Gerrard that.

Comments

• TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Wow, this Sky coverage has been the worst i have ever seen from them. They are making it look like he is the best player of all time, they are treating him like a god. Even the commentary was terrible, if i was a Crystal Palace fan i would be really annoyed, commentators are supposed to be fair.

If anybody needed proof that Sky are pro Liverpool, they got it today.

Are you the DJ he punched? You put a fair bit of effort into hating him.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, you don't half talk some rubbish.

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but it was a great way to celebrate his career there, and you don't have to watch it if you don't want.

No, it was the truth. The commentary was terrible, they wanted Liverpool to win and Gerrard to score. Listen to the 3rd goal again, Alan Perry sounded gutted, just like Martin Tyler sounded gutted when City scored against Liverpool last season.

The bits after the game finished would have been fine if other players got the same treatment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Are you the DJ he punched? You put a fair bit of effort into hating him.

It's not HIM i hate, i'm not a fan of his but i don't hate him. What i do hate is the over the top praise he get's, the treatment he get's when compared to other footballers and the way they make him sound like the best footballer on the planet when he has never been that in his career.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it was the truth. The commentary was terrible, they wanted Liverpool to win and Gerrard to score. Listen to the 3rd goal again, Alan Perry sounded gutted, just like Martin Tyler sounded gutted when City scored against Liverpool last season.

The bits after the game finished would have been fine if other players got the same treatment.

Not many players have done what he's done, and at one club.

You didn't have to watch it, but I'm sure many hoped he'd do well in his final game, and few will be a humbug like you about the praise he got.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many players have done what he's done, and at one club.

You didn't have to watch it, but I'm sure many hoped he'd do well in his final game, and few will be a humbug like you about the praise he got.

I can name 5 that have done more than him. John Terry, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs. None of these have or will get the same special treatment that Gerrard has received.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice scenes with his kids after the game, nice looking family.

Whoever dressed those girls though!!!

Thought it was a lovely touch with asking the girls for a word though.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sega Gamer- have you really been peddling this pathetic schtick all day?
    Do you not have a life to lead?

Gerrard has looked totally humbled by all the attention even a little uncomfortable with it at times.
    A lad who's lived his dream for his whole career got a well deserved send off. Good luck to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can name 5 that have done more than him. John Terry, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs. None of these have or will get the same special treatment that Gerrard has received.

Well Scholes and Lampard might have if they hadn't come back 6 months later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hardly see how that makes a difference. Nobody knew at the time of them leaving that they would ever return to the Premier League and play again, people thought they had gone. With Gerrard though there is talk that he could well be returning, so i'm not buying that excuse.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Gerrard has left his beloved Liverpool forever, or until November, whichever comes first.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scholes would have hated, and probably actively vetoed, the kind of fuss Gerrard had today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You make it sound like Gerrard demanded it all.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound like Gerrard demanded it all.

Hardly.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That introduction by Parry was the kind of thing you would read on RAWK, absolutely hilarious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That introduction by Parry was the kind of thing you would read on RAWK, absolutely hilarious.

Sky Sports was like what RAWK would be like if it was a tv channel :D
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

By done more you presumably mean won more - true.

But fair minded people can see that for a lot of his career SG was playing with poor quality players compared to those you mention.

He had many chances to leave and join such a club but instead decided to stay at the club he loved (and not because thugs threatened his family - lol) - I think that is something to admire. Listening to him now I do not think he regrets it either altho obviously not winning the PL s a major disappointment
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By done more you presumably mean won more - true.

But fair minded people can see that for a lot of his career SG was playing with poor quality players compared to those you mention.

He had many chances to leave and join such a club but instead decided to stay at the club he loved (and not because thugs threatened his family - lol) - I think that is something to admire. Listening to him now I do not think he regrets it either altho obviously not winning the PL s a major disappointment

Steven Gerrard is a fantastic footballer who has had a fantastic career but this idea that he was playing with poor quality players compared to others always makes me smile. He played in a team that won the Champions League once and reached another final, he also should have won two league titles at least if his club hadn't bottled it.

I don't understand why you would crap on Liverpool football Club as a whole in order to defend Gerrards career. Seems and odd thing to do if you are a Liverpool fan.

I would say he has played in two or three different Liverpool teams that didn't reach their potential, but it wasn't for a lack of individual talent.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

John Terry hasn't retired.

Did the other clubs organise the same kind of tribute on the final appearance?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Club and fans decide to honour a player who has played his last game. Media get excited and some of other fans from other clubs have a moan. What are they upset about? Liverpool? The fans? Or the media? If it's the latter then complain or change the channel.

It's not the clubs fault the media go in a frenzy at times.

It would also be a very cold hearted club and fans if they didn't show appreciation to a home grown player who has achieved as much as Gerrard has. Some of the comments here have gone over the top.

Few days of media madness and some people throw a wobbly. It's not as if it's every day. With all the stuff going on in the world and people are upset over this.

At the end day what Liverpool club and fans do is up to them, if they want congratulate Gerrard then they have a right to do so.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Sega Gamer- have you really been peddling this pathetic schtick all day?
    Do you not have a life to lead?

Gerrard has looked totally humbled by all the attention even a little uncomfortable with it at times.
    A lad who's lived his dream for his whole career got a well deserved send off. Good luck to him.

And so the club should. But the whole bloody nation didn't need it forced down their throats.

As a television match it was pointless though Sky's match picks have been awful for the run in with nothing riding on them except specific placings.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Losing 3-1 must have made him feel as flat as a pancake yesterday,
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press, Sky, Talksport, all they are doing is talking about Gerrard. Yeah he's been a great player for Liverpool, but so what ? I have never seen so much fuss being made over a player that leaving their club. Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes, all 3 of these never received anything near the amount of coverage Gerrard is getting and they made a bigger impact on the Premier League than Gerrard has ever done.

There is another player who is leaving the Premier League at the end of the season and has actually had a better career and actually won a lot more than Gerrard and that person is Frank Lampard. I haven't read anything about him in the papers or heard his name mentioned once on Sky or Talksport.

Saint Stevie-Me is just another player who is leaving his club, the day he leaves will actually be great, maybe we can finally move on from all of this over the top praise and ass kissing.

Are you 100% sure Frank Lampard is leaving the Premier League at the end of the season?

It seems as if he signed for New York City about 2 decades ago, but he still hasn't pulled on one of their jerseys in anger.

It wouldn't surprise me seeing him turn out for City (no, not New York) again next season.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Palace fan and I have absolutely no problem with the fact that us winning yesterday wasn't the big story. A legend has retired, he is as good as I've ever seen in that position and deserves the best of send offs.
    I'm amazed and disgusted that some are putting club loyalties in front of what is the right thing to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you 100% sure Frank Lampard is leaving the Premier League at the end of the season?

It seems as if he signed for New York City about 2 decades ago, but he still hasn't pulled on one of their jerseys in anger.

It wouldn't surprise me seeing him turn out for City (no, not New York) again next season.

Are you sure that Gerrard is leaving the Premier League ? there is plenty of talk about him coming back to play for Liverpool again on loan at some point next season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oblivian wrote: »
    I'm a Palace fan and I have absolutely no problem with the fact that us winning yesterday wasn't the big story. A legend has retired, he is as good as I've ever seen in that position and deserves the best of send offs.
    I'm amazed and disgusted that some are putting club loyalties in front of what is the right thing to do.

Like i said, i would be fine with it if other teams legends got the same treatment, but they don't. It was just the usual Gerrard ass kissing. And he isn't one of the best in his position, he was average at best for England.