Comments

• LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall while they were writing it! :D
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things occurred to me as I read this week's Diary. Firstly, what are the Mail thinking, going ahead and publishing these stream-of-consciousness, spite-filled ramblings? Surely there's an editor who reads through the column and thinks "Hang on, this makes absolutely no sense" or "Hang on, this is a complete retread of the whinge you delivered two weeks ago" or "Hang on, it really isn't appropriate for you to keep using your column to settle personal scores."

Increasingly, she seems so fiercely focused on sniping at her number one enemy, she simply doesn't seem to bother that the stuff she puts in the column is complete nonsense for anyone who wasn't present at the time. Take this bit from her MoS column a couple of weeks ago, when she first used Nigella Lawson's domestic abuse case as an opportunity to snipe at you-know who: "She attacked me in my office, screaming that my low-slung track pants were somehow abusing her son..." :confused::confused::confused: ....Now, I'm sure that sentence makes perfect sense to Liz and the other person involved. But to everyone else it's absolutely ridiculous, with no explanation to put it into context. And yet (a) she wrote it and submitted it, and (b) the Mail decided to publish it. What are they thinking?

The second thing that struck me: What an incredibly difficult job Liz is creating for the artist who illustrates the Diary! She (the artist) usually manages to come up with something to represent whatever has happened. But this week, absolutely nothing happened. I mean, literally nothing. The entire Diary was given over to another chorus of "Nigella's-domestic-abuse-is-like-my-experience-with-The-Bully". And since Liz did nothing but mutter resentfully on about this grievance, repeating last month's MoS whinge and retelling poor-me stories she's told many times before, the artist simply drew a picture of someone sitting hunched up and looking demented! The figure in the picture didn't even have any of the glamour and attractiveness that usually characterises the Diary illustration. Do you think the artist is starting to feel as exasperated as we are with the content of this column?
  • astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    My point was - and that list came from a medical website - a suddenly enlarged chest is not a recognised side effect (common or otherwise) of being prescribed the medication she says she was taking. Given that she routinely refers to others in highly derogatory terms (toothless, special needs, feral), I was just slipping into the idiom. You may have noticed she's also endlessly banging on about her own anorexia (borderline, recovering, you choose) yet, as has been noted here and elsewhere, she must be the only anorexic known to science with chunky thighs and incipient bingo wings.

Also, no comment on her plagiarizing others words and passing them off as her own ? Surely you're not tacitly condoning such a disreputable action ?

What I'm commenting on at the moment is your massively mysoginistic attitude. Love Liz/ hate Liz - who cares, it's a game. You, however, seem to revel in "bingo wings", "chunky thighs" "massive hooters" and worse !.Maybe I'm daft to enjoy Ms Jones writing, fair play, it's just a bit of Sunday morning reading at the end of the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    astor wrote: »
    What I'm commenting on at the moment is your massively mysoginistic attitude. Love Liz/ hate Liz - who cares, it's a game. You, however, seem to revel in "bingo wings", "chunky thighs" "massive hooters" and worse !.Maybe I'm daft to enjoy Ms Jones writing, fair play, it's just a bit of Sunday morning reading at the end of the day.

But these are Liz's terms, Astor (her latest term for large breasts being the rather more concerning 'ponderous udders'.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Two things occurred to me as I read this week's Diary. Firstly, what are the Mail thinking, going ahead and publishing these stream-of-consciousness, spite-filled ramblings? Surely there's an editor who reads through the column and thinks "Hang on, this makes absolutely no sense" or "Hang on, this is a complete retread of the whinge you delivered two weeks ago" or "Hang on, it really isn't appropriate for you to keep using your column to settle personal scores."

Increasingly, she seems so fiercely focused on sniping at her number one enemy, she simply doesn't seem to bother that the stuff she puts in the column is complete nonsense for anyone who wasn't present at the time. Take this bit from her MoS column a couple of weeks ago, when she first used Nigella Lawson's domestic abuse case as an opportunity to snipe at you-know who: "She attacked me in my office, screaming that my low-slung track pants were somehow abusing her son..." :confused::confused::confused: ....Now, I'm sure that sentence makes perfect sense to Liz and the other person involved. But to everyone else it's absolutely ridiculous, with no explanation to put it into context. And yet (a) she wrote it and submitted it, and (b) the Mail decided to publish it. What are they thinking?

The second thing that struck me: What an incredibly difficult job Liz is creating for the artist who illustrates the Diary! She (the artist) usually manages to come up with something to represent whatever has happened. But this week, absolutely nothing happened. I mean, literally nothing. The entire Diary was given over to another chorus of "Nigella's-domestic-abuse-is-like-my-experience-with-The-Bully". And since Liz did nothing but mutter resentfully on about this grievance, repeating last month's MoS whinge and retelling poor-me stories she's told many times before, the artist simply drew a picture of someone sitting hunched up and looking demented! The figure in the picture didn't even have any of the glamour and attractiveness that usually characterises the Diary illustration. Do you think the artist is starting to feel as exasperated as we are with the content of this column?

Couldn't agree more, Cathrin. It seems that all her safety nets are being withdrawn. The lack of editing in the Wail seems to confirm that they are trying to give her enough rope. The 'comments' online are rarely moderated. The astonishing failure of her 'book' (#1966 in Amazon 'books', #2065 in Amazon 'Kindle') seems to confirm that her time has passed. I suspect the DM are pissed off that they gave her so much publicity and time off to publicise for so little return. Simon & Schuster must be incandescent! The Dreary generally gets less that 100 comments these days, a bit of crap that ran this morning about Dotty P's only got 13! Rather embarrassingly, it appears that she has various ciphers to post positive comments online (Michelle, Ft Lauderdale, Atticus, Lilliane, Laura, Totnes etc) which seems a bit... deranged to say the least! If I was running a book, I'd have 'My Attempted Suicide Hell' at very short odds at the moment...
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB...oh, come on :mad: I've been reading Bellagio's posts for quite for a while now and NEVER scented a hint of misogynism, otherwise I would have stopped reading them. His/hers forensic dissection of LJ is a joy to behold. By all means defend the writer and her column as you see fit, but please don't resort to unwarranted or straw person attacks.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=jeff_vader;67096329]BIB...oh, come on :mad: I've been reading Bellagio's posts for quite for a while now and NEVER scented a hint of misogynism, otherwise I would have stopped reading them. His/hers forensic dissection of LJ is a joy to behold. By all means defend the writer and her column as you see fit, but please don't resort to unwarranted or straw person attacks.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with this, I and , I think, other posters thought Bellagio was female until they pointed out they were male ( think Ive got that right :o )
    Always enjoy their posts and certainly not mysoginist :)
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, Bellagio has always been thorough and fair with his appraisals of Liz's ramblings, and quite rightly picks her up on the many inconsistencies and, let's face it, downright lies. I hope that he writes book on the real Liz Jones, now that would be a best seller. By the way Astor, if anyone is mysoginistic is Liz herself, she absolutely hates ALL women.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's just a bit of Sunday morning reading at the end of the day.

Well, which? :confused:...;):D
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about some censure from you for her blatant plagiarism of the words of someone else to make it appear she'd witnessed a distressing seal pup cull ? Or is that perfectly acceptable in your book because it's your beloved Liz ?

As for 'enjoying' her writing... I take it you've not actually read the book ? Anyone who can claim to enjoy reading - or in many, many instances, re-reading - this barely coherent, self-centered wail of "why meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ?" is either Jones themselves or lacking in any critical faculties. One common aspect of all the reviews so far is that the book is exceedingly badly written.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I honestly can't see why anyone would be as invested in defending Liz Jones as you appear to be unless they ARE her, on her payroll, or somehow connected to the vile publication she "writes" for. You're fighting a losing battle and fooling no one. Obviously you're entitled to your opinions but really, why bother?
  • vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're limited by what can be said here on a public forum but when you have a few people dissecting the Lizard's output it really does become indefensible.
    That book/anthology of Mail articles is shockingly badly written. Believe it or not I don't enjoy saying that because if it's the best she can do she's finished as a writer and if it isn't her best effort, well why the hell not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the DM must acknowledge after the scathing reviews (both by 'proper' book critics and Amazon readers) that her recyling of old stories, fact or fiction, has finally showed her complete lack of credibility as a writer. Yesterday's story about Dorothy Perkins, she writes that demeaning herself by going into a high street store resulted in concerned pensioners thrusting £10 notes at her. Yes, this was a pathetic attempt at humour, though highly insulting to the majority of us, but it echoed her infamous claim of a few years ago that when she wrote of her financial whoes she received £10 notes in the post from pensioners who were so worried about her, that was meant to be true. If incredibly it was, what do those gullible pensioners now feel reading about her continuing Marie Antoinette lifestyle?
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly there are nice, generous people who take her scribblings at face value. The kindest thing one can say is I imagine she never takes the money, or donates any cheques to charity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Sadly there are nice, generous people who take her scribblings at face value.

I feel sorry for those people. They are being played like a fiddle and so shamelessly too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    The kindest thing one can say is I imagine she never takes the money, or donates any cheques to charity.

That's actually a comfort to know. It would be nice if I could honestly say maybe there is hope for LJ yet, but I don't think I can. She is just too determined to be a victim.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think the DM unwittingly contributed to the book's failure by publishing those extracts and inadvertently showing everyone just how dire it was? Obviously, the purpose of a book serialisation is to whet the public's appetites and tempt them to buy the book. But if the book (a) is dreadfully written (b) drips with spite and self-pity, and (c) consists of a sorry and repetitive mishmash of pieces previously published in the very same paper, the serialisation simply shows people how bad it is and convinces them to keep their wallets shut.

I can't imagine anyone read those extracts and thought "Wow, this is great, I must shell out a few quid so I can enjoy more of this!"

Of course, Liz now has a whole legion of new enemies to add to her grievance-list of people who have betrayed her: the great British book-buying public. I wonder how she'll punish us all? I'm guessing it'll be sick and injured animal stories from now until the end of time...
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many good posts to reply to.
    I will say we must be due a dose of Lizzie the dying race horse, and a giant holistic vet bill.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol cathrin. :D I haven't been able to check out the site for a while (house move, no internet), so I've had fun catching up today with all the posts. I definitely wouldn't fork out for 'The Book' but would read it if it was a freebie just for the snort factor. BTW, Bellagio does not come across as a woman hater astor; he simply berates Liz for all her lies and codswallop and rightly so. In a very amusing fashion, I might add. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine anyone read those extracts and thought "Wow, this is great, I must shell out a few quid so I can enjoy more of this!"

QUOTE]

Cathrin, have a look at the new 5 star review on Amazon, it does indeed say something spookily similar! I would like to think it's tongue in cheek like the very funny other one but I fear this one is genuine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Cold Comfort! Hope the move has gone well, we look forward to reading your version of Liz's misery memoir, though I fear it may be beyond parody!
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO! One of two 5 star reviews on her new book on Amazon. I love a good troll me :D

This book has changed my life. Since reading it I am no longer a drug addict or alcoholic, I have reunited with my wife and children and have also started a successful multi-million pound company which makes the world a better place for everyone. I am now a positive role model for my community in many, many ways, including healing the sick, infirm and lazy, yet still managing to be humble as pie. I fund global charities, invent much needed technologies and resolve conflicts and in my spare time I decorate neighbours houses, tidy their gardens and create provocative but delightful street sculptures. Shortly I will write my own book showing how you too can be as brilliant as what I am but first I'm going to cure cancer, put god right on a few things, and then swim to the moon. I can only do all this because of Liz and the brilliantest book whats ever been writ. Buy it now or very soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think the DM unwittingly contributed to the book's failure by publishing those extracts and inadvertently showing everyone just how dire it was? Obviously, the purpose of a book serialisation is to whet the public's appetites and tempt them to buy the book. But if the book (a) is dreadfully written (b) drips with spite and self-pity, and (c) consists of a sorry and repetitive mishmash of pieces previously published in the very same paper, the serialisation simply shows people how bad it is and convinces them to keep their wallets shut.

Of course, Liz now has a whole legion of new enemies to add to her grievance-list of people who have betrayed her: the great British book-buying public. I wonder how she'll punish us all? I'm guessing it'll be sick and injured animal stories from now until the end of time...

Agreed on both major points... the DM are starting to militate against her (as per my earlier post) and we will, certainly, be bombarded by dead animals for months now! Mind you, I think she was grassed up to the RSPCA after that nonsense with her collie bitch, so she had better watch her step...!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly can't see why anyone would be as invested in defending Liz Jones as you appear to be unless they ARE her, on her payroll, or somehow connected to the vile publication she "writes" for. You're fighting a losing battle and fooling no one. Obviously you're entitled to your opinions but really, why bother?

I have nothing to do with Liz Jones or any of her publications.
    I have no idea who I'm supposed to be trying to fool here.

I am merely giving my opinions - and thank you for accepting I may be entitled to them - on a thread about Liz Jones.
    I happen to enjoy her column, which of course is beyond the pale on this forum.
    Why bother? Well, really, why do any of you bother?
    You all consider her writing rubbish, her morals questionable, her love of animals debatable and even worse - she's got bingo wings,chunky thighs, frizzy hair and looks not quite scraggy enough for even her well documented anorexia to be true!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    How about some censure from you for her blatant plagiarism of the words of someone else to make it appear she'd witnessed a distressing seal pup cull ? Or is that perfectly acceptable in your book because it's your beloved Liz ?

As for 'enjoying' her writing... I take it you've not actually read the book ? Anyone who can claim to enjoy reading - or in many, many instances, re-reading - this barely coherent, self-centered wail of "why meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ?" is either Jones themselves or lacking in any critical faculties. One common aspect of all the reviews so far is that the book is exceedingly badly written.

You're right, I haven't had the time to read her latest book, even though I found her previous ones quite well written & enjoyable.
    I take it you have though.