Options

Is 2 hours exercise per day okay?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Just started my new exercise regime today.:)

One hour on the treadmill 7am to 8am.

And one hour on the exercise bike 3pm to 4pm.

First day today. I feel better for it. :D

Comments

• Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    you'll need a break - you can't do that 7 days a week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    you'll need a break - you can't do that 7 days a week

Weekends off.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was doing one hour exercise per day but I wasn't losing any weight, so I am hoping this might make a difference.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    What are your goals? to lose fat or just to improve cardiovascular fitness?
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gusto, I suspect you'll quickly become very bored with that routine and I think you'll need a bit more variety. For example, real walking, jogging or cycling would be much more interesting than those deadly dull machines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Gusto, I suspect you'll quickly become very bored with that routine and I think you'll need a bit more variety. For example, real walking, jogging or cycling would be much more interesting than those deadly dull machines.

I work from home and don't have the freedom to bother to go outside...

I need to be near my pc, which is mounted above the equipment.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    What are your goals? to lose fat or just to improve cardiovascular fitness?

Anything! I have two stone I just can't shift.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your aim is to look good, that's far too much cardio, you should do some resistance work too.
  • Options
    urbanhermiturbanhermit Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Two hours per day?

I aim for two hours per month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    That is too much, you can do less if you want.

The recommended amount is 2.5 hours moderate exercise (cardio) or 7m minutes vigorous exercise per week

and also do at least 2 days muscle building exercise a week.

This is for the NHS Guidelines for exercise

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is too much, you can do less if you want.

The recommended amount is 2.5 hours moderate exercise (cardio) or 7m minutes vigorous exercise per week

and also do at least 2 days muscle building exercise a week.

This is for the NHS Guidelines for exercise

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx
    Tempting though the idea of 7 minutes of vigorous exercise per week might be, I think that should have read 75 minutes! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too much of the wrong thing and won't be half as effective as HIIT combined with resistance work.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything! I have two stone I just can't shift.

If you want to lose weight then you need to eat less. Exercise is good for you but is not very effective at weight loss.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the intensity of the exercise too. Walking and barely raising your heart rate won't do anything.

I have to generate a big sweat - if I'm not dripping with sweat (how attractive) and I've recovered by the time I reach my car, I know I've not done enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget to mix up the runs too....go hard some days and easy on others. Interval training is always a good workout, simply run hard for a couple of minutes, then recover with a slow jog for a few minutes....and repeat! Try Audiofuel for some interesting runs :)
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    If you want to lose weight then you need to eat less. Exercise is good for you but is not very effective at weight loss.

eat less calories.

you can still eat a lot just change what you eat.

I agree with what you're saying though, 30% exercise and 70% diet is what's been spoken as effective. Look at what you're eating and add in weights as someone has suggested.
  • Options
    PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you doing this at home? If so, maybe get yourself some weights too and do some resistance training, as another poster has said.

You need to vary it, and build up some muscle mass overall. So some arm work and some squats whilst holding the weights by your side, and so AB work too.

You may benefit from getting some dvd's, they're for both sexes.

If you're serious about losing weight, check what you eat and maybe use one of the numerous apps available to check calorie intake etc.

Good luck :-)
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eat less. Cardio training won't shift 2 stone easily. I quite often put weight on when I am training for an ultra marathon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I do 45 mins 3 - 4 days a week high intensity exercise. The rest of the week i just walk. 2 hours 5 days a week seems quite a lot unless you are trying to get ripped! And an hour on the treadmill jesus christ! If you are eating healthily you will not need that much exercise. Make sure to switch it up and try to incorporate some weight training with cardio. Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Tempting though the idea of 7 minutes of vigorous exercise per week might be, I think that should have read 75 minutes! :D

Yep, that is the danger of rushing typing, typing with one hand, while eating with the other and trying to squeeze your foot into a show without undoing it. :D

To be honest 7 minutes would be too much for me at the moment. :p
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I think really that is too much cardio. Adding some weights into your routine will help you shift some fat. And if you stick up what you are eating I'm sure people could give you some tips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    eat less calories.

you can still eat a lot just change what you eat.

This is true, if you eat a lot more veggies then you will probably lose weight because you will eat less of the major calorie containing stuff.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely too much cardio. Focus on weight training - this helps to accelerate weight loss. It staggers me how many people don't know this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogs Head wrote: »
    Definitely too much cardio. Focus on weight training - this helps to accelerate weight loss. It staggers me how many people don't know this.

The reason they don't know this is because neither weight training nor cardio is much good at losing weight unless taken to extreme, diet is by far the most effective approach to weight loss.

Yes weight training is good as is cardio (ideally you should do both) but if you want to lose weight then look at the diet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE:

I'm still doing the 2 hours per day, but I felt a little tired yesterday. But still did the hour this morning.

Not feeling tired any more. :D

And lost four pounds. :eek: