Options

Is it me or are movies getting their release dates pushed back more and more?

Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just found out that a movie I was actually really looking forward to seeing - Divergent - has been pushed back until April 2014. Got to say I'm very disappointed, and I also have noticed this keeps happening with movies these days.

Has anyone else noticed this too? Does it annoy you? Why is it getting more and more commonplace? :(

Comments

• Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was it supposed to come out? If the director things that he/she won't end up outputting the best film possible, then I suppose pushbacks are inevitable. Pressure from studios is another big factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    There's going to be a lot of pushbacks from 2015, as studios seem to have scheduled a lot of big films for that year, and they discovered earlier this year that having a tonne of blockbusters in a short period doesn't work.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it getting more and more commonplace? :(

It's always been quite common. In the past, the reason used to be a need to reshoot scenes, to chase an award or make most of a certain month. Nowadays, the reason is usually to do with not finishing CGI (or whatever) in time or make most of a certain month.

I think perhaps it's more noticeable to some because of the increasing Internet exposure of the scheduling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's going to be a lot of pushbacks from 2015

Oh great. :(
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of perceived blockbusters, the studios all covet the dates when they perceive the greatest return on their investment and therefore the most profit, which in turn finances the smaller films they make; I suppose that's why they might announce a release date a few years in advance, essentially sending out the message to the other studios 'Bugger off, this weekend's ours!'.

And then either it turns out they need more time in pre-production to get the script right or to finish the effects, or something major happens that shuts down production for a while (e.g. Paul Walker's death has shut down Fast and Furious 7 for a while), or a rival studio announced a film for the same weekend - so of course the release date changes. I doubt any studio would have risked having one of their perceived blockbuster open the same weekend as either The Dark Knight Rises or the last Harry Potter - so they would have gone running for another date.

To me the issue is more with announcing the release dates so far in advance - wait until the film is at least well underway and you have some sort of idea when it'll be ready rather than try to condense everything into a predetermined space of time. We already have a release date for X-Mem Apocalypse, yet Days of Future Past is still being edited - I'm all for working to deadlines but maybe allow the team to finish one job before starting another? If your product's crap because you didn't give it the necessary attention then people are less likely to come back for more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnowAll27, that's a really clear and informative post - thank you. :)
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    There's going to be a lot of pushbacks from 2015, as studios seem to have scheduled a lot of big films for that year, and they discovered earlier this year that having a tonne of blockbusters in a short period doesn't work.

really summer 2012 was not to shabby and had big BIG superhero blockbusters

The Avengers
    Amazing Spiderman
    Dark Knight Rises

its very rare for 2 big superheros to have a movie out in the same summer batman and spiderman never shared a summer together before yet in 2012 both did and both did just fine. Then the biggest superhero movie of all the avengers and made 1.5 billion

all in the same summer i was shocked don't think we will see a summer that big for quite some time