Average Payment for Car Registration

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
Forum Member
I don't know about other countries but in Australia, the registration prices are so exorbitant and way too dear. It costs me $700 bucks for the year for Victoria in Melbourne. I don't know about the other states but this actually costs me more than what I paid for my car to buy. It's currently at $712.10

So what are the prices in other countries or cities around the world?

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    I guess the equivalent in the UK is the car tax. Mine cost £140 this year but it changes on the car type. My last car was over £200 a year.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the Australian tax also include third party insurance though.... ? Mandatory third party insurance here costs around $400.. but can be as high as $3500 if you're 18 and insuring a sports car
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Doesn't the Australian tax also include third party insurance though.... ? Mandatory third party insurance here costs around $400.. but can be as high as $3500 if you're 18 and insuring a sports car
    Yes that's correct, part of the cost is charged by the TAC (Transport Accident Charge) and the cost is calculated on where you live as well and the cost of the car.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Progrez wrote: »
    Yes that's correct, part of the cost is charged by the TAC (Transport Accident Charge) and the cost is calculated on where you live as well and the cost of the car.

They don't factor age? Because young people are much more of an insurance risk than older drivers they have to pay considerably more for insurance, often costing more than the car itself. Surprised that Australia accounts for where you live and cost of the car but not the age of the driver.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is about £500 for 12 months and is an absolute rip off imo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    They don't factor age? Because young people are much more of an insurance risk than older drivers they have to pay considerably more for insurance, often costing more than the car itself. Surprised that Australia accounts for where you live and cost of the car but not the age of the driver.

Nope these are the things they take into account.

Calculation of TAC charge
    The TAC charge is calculated according to the:
    type of vehicle
    registered owner (vehicle registration concessions may apply)
    intended use
    seating capacity
    carrying capacity
    garaged location.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/FeesFormsAndFAQs/Fees/AboutTheTransportAccidentCommissioncharge.htm
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last car was £465 for the year but the current one is only £20. I swapped a powerful car for a little Eco-beast!