I still don't believe we will become a cashless society....

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
.....despite the fact that last year, for the first time, non cash transactions exceeded cash payments for the first time.

People still like to have notes and coins in their possession. Yes, card and direct debit payments are useful, but they can never totally replace cash. I certainly hope they don't as it will mean that you can never drop out of sight for a few days if you want to, nor can "discount for cash" transactions occur again.

Supermarkets prefer cash, as it incurs less cost for them. Also, many e bay sellers prefer a cheque, as paypal also incurs a cost.

link
Cashless payments have overtaken the use of notes and coins for the first time, according to the industry body. The Payments Council said the use of cash by consumers, businesses and financial organisations fell to 48% of payments last year.
The remaining 52% was made up of electronic transactions, ranging from high-value transfers to debit card payments, as well as cheques. Cash volumes are expected to fall by 30% over the next 10 years. The Payments Council, which oversees the system of transactions, said that moves towards debit card, contactless and mobile payments would drive the move away from cash.
Despite the growth of digital money, cash remained the most common specific payment method among shoppers and businesses in 2014. Some 18 billion cash payments were made in the UK in 2014, worth about £250bn. Debit cards accounted for 24% of payments, followed by direct debits which accounted for 10% of payments. Cash was used in more than eight out of 10 purchases in pubs, clubs, and newsagents last year, but in fewer than three out of 10 in petrol stations.

I have noticed though, that you simply don't get the queues at ATM's that used to happen. That might be because there are more of them.

Comments

• TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my card became unusable on Monday and it's a week to ten days until a replacement comes so definitely not for me this weekend!

I also like to have cash and will continue to do so. Car boots, parking, machines of various types and all those jobs where it's cash in hand. I can't see the window cleaner accepting American Excuse cards
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I don't think society will ever become totally cashless but I have to say pretty much all of my purchases now are done by card - even for small amounts at the supermarket etc.

The only cash I tend to carry is for lunch in our staff cafe becuase they don't accept cards.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    I don't think society will ever become totally cashless bI

>>>>>>> Agreed - But outlets for spending cash are gradually being closed.

ie - You can no longer use cash for these purchases -

Premium Bonds
    Pensioners Bonds
    London bus fares
    Some parking meters

There may also be others I may have missed.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gangster V Bankster.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I don't think society will ever become totally cashless but I have to say pretty much all of my purchases now are done by card - even for small amounts at the supermarket etc.

The only cash I tend to carry is for lunch in our staff cafe becuase they don't accept cards.

I do think coins and notes will be gotten rid of as cards with credit on becomes the next form of payment. I think the world will eventually move towards a moneyless society.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where possible all my transactions are in cash - personally I find it easier to keep track of my spending that way. But it does seem to me that we are moving to a cashless society. New technology - like thumbprint scans - is being developed all the time and I think there will come a time - not in my lifetime hopefully - where cash will be looked on as quaint. But I think there are dangers in becoming totally computerised - it would be easier for example to keep control/track of people - not always a good thing. Plus of course we are then even more vulnerable to cyber attack.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I use my card for pretty much everything as I don't use a purse or handbag so it's easier to stuff a card in my jeans pocket than cash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe we will go completely cashless either, you can't guarantee that a card machine will always be working for example.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    .....despite the fact that last year, for the first time, non cash transactions exceeded cash payments for the first time.

People still like to have notes and coins in their possession.

I am not sure what people like will have any bearing on it one way or another. Also, what people like will change over time/generations.
    Yes, card and direct debit payments are useful, but they can never totally replace cash.

Well, they can. It's perfectly possible. I was hearing about a cashless shop the other day.
    I certainly hope they don't as it will mean that you can never drop out of sight for a few days if you want to, nor can "discount for cash" transactions occur again.
    Not sure I am familiar with these transactions. Can you tell me more? :)
    Supermarkets prefer cash, as it incurs less cost for them.
    Is this correct? I was under the impression that cash costs supermarkets more (security, paying someone to count the cash, bank charges for cashing it/getting change, transporting the cash) and this is why they started offering cashback, so that they have less cash in their tills.
    Also, many e bay sellers prefer a cheque, as paypal also incurs a cost.
    Again, I don't think peoples' preferences have anything to do with it. Cheques are just about finished anyway and it's about time. People don't have cheque books. I've had a cheque for £30 refund for electricity sitting in my house for a few weeks now as going to the bank is such a pain in the butt.

Interesting thread though, despite my criticisms :)

I have noticed though, that you simply don't get the queues at ATM's that used to happen. That might be because there are more of them.

They work quicker than they use to too.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cashback too

I always carry cash but I can't actually remember the last time I went to an ATM outside a bank (rather than outside a retailer) - 20 years or so ago there was no choice
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aberdeen city council has just announced that some of it parking meters are to become cashless i.e. you need a smartphone to buy a ticket.

This is outrageous, as it assumes all people have/want smart phones, and that they have them with them at all times. Also assumes all oeprator signals are adequate in the vicinity of the meters.

A pre-pay system would be better e.g. vouchers from local shops, ordered online before hand etc.
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this correct? I was under the impression that cash costs supermarkets more (security, paying someone to count the cash, bank charges for cashing it/getting change, transporting the cash) and this is why they started offering cashback, so that they have less cash in their tills.

Agreed.

Not to mention Cashing out requires two people to basically be counting money at the same time. It might cost less than 8p per transaction for a major supermarket to process electronic payments.

So none of the time consuming and therefore costly cash processes, reduced to no risks inherent in using and processing cash, and should a supermarket have invested in suitable anti fraud precautions such as Chip & Pin, any losses due to fraud are covered by the card issuer.

Factor in quicker payments which means more transactions per hour can be processed, meaning either more sales or less staff costs - it's easy to see why Supermarkets would prefer electronic transactions over cash.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I' pretty much pay cash for everything ..most of my friends are card and bank transfer only

I went to a show with a few friend the other week my mate payed for my ticket on his card as I was running late .. I got there and have him the cash for the ticket and he looked like I'd handed him a time bomb
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Aberdeen city council has just announced that some of it parking meters are to become cashless i.e. you need a smartphone to buy a ticket.

This is outrageous, as it assumes all people have/want smart phones, and that they have them with them at all times. Also assumes all oeprator signals are adequate in the vicinity of the meters.

You don't need a smart phone. And it appears that the Cashless parking meters still have a card slot.
    https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/web/files/Parking/PayByPhone_acc_leaflet.pdf
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cash is still king, while its heavy and annoying you know exactly how much money you have and small businesses operate on it as bank charges soon mount up and who's going to soak up a 20p bank fee for a 50p newspaper when the profit is only 3-4p etc

even paying a bill for a business will get you a bank charge but cash won't and as a lot of charges are %ages it soon can mount up if you settle a few grand and the bank wants 20-30 quid on top just for the fun of it

Yes cash has its drawbacks such as people with shotguns named big vern etc but for the small guy in business its still king and will be for a long time
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure what people like will have any bearing on it one way or another. Also, what people like will change over time/generations.

You're correct there. The banks will push whatever is convenient and profitable for them personally, irrespective of what their customers want.
    Not sure I am familiar with these transactions. Can you tell me more? :)

For example, when I had some internal decorating done by a contractor last year, the charge was £1150. He was happy to make that a round £1000 if I paid him cash in notes, which I did.
    Is this correct? I was under the impression that cash costs supermarkets more (security, paying someone to count the cash, bank charges for cashing it/getting change, transporting the cash) and this is why they started offering cashback, so that they have less cash in their tills

According to a piece I heard on the today programme this morning, about this very subject, when Victoria Cleland, the new Chief Cashier at the Bank of England, and Peter McNamara, Chief Executive of cash point providers, Note Machine, were interviewed, this is the case. Now I'm no expert on the inner machinations of retail stores, but what was said sounded perfectly plausible to me.

Incidentally, they were both agreed that there is a very strong place for cash in society.

If you want to listen, the programme can be found here The clip relating to cash/cashlessness can be located at 2:22:00 onwards, and the specific question you asked is at 2:25:00.
    Again, I don't think peoples' preferences have anything to do with it. Cheques are just about finished anyway and it's about time. People don't have cheque books. I've had a cheque for £30 refund for electricity sitting in my house for a few weeks now as going to the bank is such a pain in the butt.

I've got a cheque book, which is still occasionally used, so useful at times.

Why are some people so vehemently opposed to cheques, when they are barely affected by them? Weird.

They'd be even quicker if they didn't leave that "thank you" message for about 30 seconds after the previous customer has walked off, stopping the next customer from inserting their card until the message has cleared.
    Forum Member
    Why are some people so vehemently opposed to cheques, when they are barely affected by them? Weird.

Because banks no longer issue them by default, so if someone wants paid by cheque then it's an absolute pain to go and get one. If someone pays you by cheque, then again it's an absolute pain to have to go to the bank to cash it (why are banks only open when people are at work?)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think things are going to start to change now that there are viable NFC alternatives to actual "cash".

I'm just about old enough to remember then ATMs were something of a novelty in the UK.
    Your cash either came straight out of your wage packet or you had to stand in a queue in the bank and ask for it.
    These days, almost everybody takes the convenience of an ATM for granted.

I suspect that, within 20 years or so, it'll be just as common for people to make their "cash" purchases using NFC devices rather than via a wallet full of physical currency.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because banks no longer issue them by default, so if someone wants paid by cheque then it's an absolute pain to go and get one. If someone pays you by cheque, then again it's an absolute pain to have to go to the bank to cash it (why are banks only open when people are at work?)

You can easily order one online.

I'm not that lazy that I can't be arsed to walk to my bank branch and pay a cheque in occasionally ;-) Not that it happens very often, of course. Most of the time, my bank account or paypal account is simply credited with the amount
    Forum Member

I'm not that lazy that I can't be arsed to walk to my bank branch and pay a cheque in occasionally ;-) Not that it happens very often, of course. Most of the time, my bank account or paypal account is simply credited with the amount

It's nothing to do with lazy. I am at work when they are open. I am simply waiting for the next Saturday that I have free so that I can head down before they shut at 12. I'm sure there are better ways to do it than little bits of paper.
  • fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have and use a cheque book and my bank does still send them out to me I do let them know when I am running out though and ask for a new one to be sent. I also use a credit card and pay the whole sum every month as I am very averse to anyone getting my cash for free. I have a debit card too but use that mainly abroad. I suppose I could load that account but I do prefer getting a bit of cash out to use. I have only ever used an ATM once and my granddaughter showed me what to do, haven't bothered since I just get cash out when I go to pay my bills in the bank.

I only have one direct debit for my internet everything else is paid monthly quarterly or yearly. I will soon have to sort that out as we are getting older and having DD's would be cheaper and easier. I am still old fashioned in my finances as you can tell.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great if your bank is in walking distance. Mine is a 30 minute drive away with a steep parking charge at the end.
  • panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your wrong about supermarkets preferring cash. The effort involved in counting, transporting, banking and the risk far outweigh the small fees for processing card transactions. The reason supermarkets started doing cash back was to get cash out of the tills its not for customer benefit.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with lazy. I am at work when they are open. I am simply waiting for the next Saturday that I have free so that I can head down before they shut at 12. I'm sure there are better ways to do it than little bits of paper.

Never heard of sticking it into an envelope with a paying-in slip and putting it in one of those red things, called post boxes!! ;)
    Forum Member
    Never heard of sticking it into an envelope with a paying-in slip and putting it in one of those red things, called post boxes!! ;)

Erm... no, actually. :confused: