Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 41)

Comments

• Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Now this is where I get confused. I thought ITV had the rights to the Potter movies as part of their Warner Brothers deal. I didn't know it was separate. Seems like ages ago when BBC1 showed the very first Harry Potter movie at Christmas. The Potter movies have always been solid performers but it's only for three months so I assume ITV will just buy them back eventually.

I don't think ITV have 'lost' the rights as such. Sky have done a deal to give them exclusivity for 3 months. Presumably it will all go back to normal at the end of January.

But yes, it's a strange deal to deprive your other rights holder to the films for a period.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,227
    Forum Member
    Still awating a round-up for Sunday.

The Chase still doing well, 3.09m inc +1. They should do more primetime editions. I would love to see some sort of 'champions' edition when the best players of all the series play against each other. In fact, someone on this forum who was on the show states that it's in the pipeline.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Demographic Information for BBC1 and ITV1 for Monday 8th to Sunday 15th October: http://i45.tinypic.com/2czyku9.jpg

Top programmes for the week among 18-49 year olds from that list (excludes soaps and news) were:

1. The X Factor (Sun): 17.4
    2. Strictly Come Dancing (Sat): 11.4
    3. Downton Abbey: 9.0
    4. England v San Marino: 8.1
    5. Take Me Out: 7.5
    6. Watchdog: 7.0
    7. Miranda [r]: 6.9
    8. Have I Got News For You: 6.7
    9. Merlin: 6.4
    10. The Jonathan Ross Show: 5.7
    11. New Tricks: 5.7
    12. Waterloo Road: 5.4
    13. All Star Mr & Mrs: 5.0
    14. Paul O'Grady: For The Love of Dogs: 4.7
    15. The Paradise: 4.6
    16. Countryfile: 4.6
    17. Hunted: 4.3
    18. Mr and Mrs Jones: 4.3
    19. Who Do You Think You Are: 3.9
    20. Monroe: 3.9

Note: Each number indicates the % of the UK 18-49 population. For e.g. 17.4% of 18-49 year olds living in the UK watched The X Factor (Sun)
    Always an interesting chart rzt. Thanks for this. Take Me Out is the most popular show with 16-34s also Downton and Strictly have the best ABC1 adult scores. Advertisers like ABC1s don't they?
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Movie premieres were huge in the 70s and 80s with no such thing as renting movies or dedicated movie channels. Also it used to be 10 years before a movie could be shown on terrestrial TV, this went down to 5 years, then 3 and I think it's at 2 years now. Also some studios didn't want their movies on TV at all and finally said yes to some in the 80s. Disney was a perfect example with their animated classics like Bambi, Dumbo, Pinocchio etc.Those were finally shown in the 80s by ITV. The package was offered to the BBC first but they dithered and ITV bought them.

In the 70s the movie premieres were a big part of BBC1's Christmas schedules. Bill Cotton said two questions he always got around Christmas were who was going to do the Morecambe & Wise Show and what movies would BBC1 be showing. Gone With The Wind got its premiere in the 70s and that was a very big deal.

Movie premieres used to be a big thing through the year and ITV always had some very good movie deals. BBC1 have more recently saved them for Christmas and they have been more effective there than some Autumn premieres on ITV.

Cylon - you're right about movie premieres being huge in those 2 decades. I remember watching the premiere of Jaws on ITV during a weeknight and it was all the talk the next day at school! You COULD rent out films from the early 1980s though - but they never seemed to be the blockbusters/mega hits you would be able to rent now - they always seemed to be straight to video/B movies and/or less popular tiltes - I remember seeing Creepshow on vhs at a friend's house 1983/1984!

Up here in Scotland the majority of rental shops carried vhs and betamax in the early 1980s, and they were mainly independent stores, corner shops, garages etc.... Later that decade and into the 1990s/2000s the likes of Global Video and Azad Video, then as we know now Blockbuster emerged - bringing top Hollywood movies.

Is it a bit sad that I still haven't completely given up hope on Noel's House Party, with Noel, actually returning to Saturday nights on BBC1?

13 years on... :)

I think we can write off any more Jim'll Fix It with Shane Richie though! :D

Not sad at all! Would like to see him return to the BBC and do something like that too.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Same as if you pop into the Big Brother forum on here, you'd think it was the biggest show on television, but in reality it's just the hardcore fans that keep it going, same as Doctor Who did in its late eighties cult phase. Twitter and internet forums can be misleading, they usually appeal to the committed fans, same as I like a band called Emerson, Lake and Palmer, but know fine well only the devoted fans are interested now.

Aha - ELP! Fanfare For The Common Man! :)
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how ITV will schedule this celebrity diving show. Early evening Saturday filler or a primetime Saturday evening show? Also ITV bought the rights to a dancing competition show so God knows when we'll be seeing that one.

If they have any faith in the format, putting it on a Wednesday at 8pm would make sense. The amount of failures ITV have had at weekends in recent years, apart from for pre-established hits, I think fewers see it like they see Tuesdays at 8pm. Midweek entertainment is something UK TV seems to lack, and something I actually prefer about Australian TV. It may be poor at times but at least there is a bit of variety
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

With manners like that, you'll remain waiting.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Chase still doing well, 3.09m inc +1. They should do more primetime editions. I would love to see some sort of 'champions' edition when the best players of all the series play against each other. In fact, someone on this forum who was on the show states that it's in the pipeline.

Come on mate. Why don't you do the roundup for a change?

All the data forum members use to create the daily round-up is largely available free on public websites. Such as:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s183/downton-abbey/news/a430667/downton-abbey-regains-sunday-crown-x-factor-overtakes-strictly.html
    http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/inside-itv/168310/weekends-ratings
    http://mediatel.co.uk/television/news/2012/10/15/tv-overnights-combined-draw-of-downton-and-the-x-factor-secures-sunday-for-itv1/
    http://www.channel4sales.com/data/overnights
    http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/homeland-struggles-against-downton-abbey/5047809.article?blocktitle=Sunday&contentID=2673 (Google the title for Broadcast article)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Cylon - you're right about movie premieres being huge in those 2 decades. I remember watching the premiere of Jaws on ITV during a weeknight and it was all the talk the next day at school! You COULD rent out films from the early 1980s though - but they never seemed to be the blockbusters/mega hits you would be able to rent now - they always seemed to be straight to video/B movies and/or less popular tiltes - I remember seeing Creepshow on vhs at a friend's house 1983/1984!

Up here in Scotland the majority of rental shops carried vhs and betamax in the early 1980s, and they were mainly independent stores, corner shops, garages etc.... Later that decade and into the 1990s/2000s the likes of Global Video and Azad Video, then as we know now Blockbuster emerged - bringing top Hollywood movies.
    Now you're bringing back memories. Jaws getting the movie premiere on ITV was BIG news. We were talking about it in school. It was 1981. I remember it vividly because ITV had special trailers for their Autumn season and it all looked so thrilling. They even got the big booming American trailer voice king himself Bill Mitchell to do the trailers, Tonnes of movie premieres that season too.

Think we got our first top loading vcr in 83/84 but there wasn't much to watch on it. Those days people were renting televisions more than movies! :D
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always an interesting chart rzt. Thanks for this. Take Me Out is the most popular show with 16-34s also Downton and Strictly have the best ABC1 adult scores. Advertisers like ABC1s don't they?

Yes ABC1s are a key audience. Along with Housewives With Kids probably the biggest audience for ITV1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    If they have any faith in the format, putting it on a Wednesday at 8pm would make sense. The amount of failures ITV have had at weekends in recent years, apart from for pre-established hits, I think fewers see it like they see Tuesdays at 8pm. Midweek entertainment is something UK TV seems to lack, and something I actually prefer about Australian TV. It may be poor at times but at least there is a bit of variety

We used to have so many entertainment shows that thrived on Wednesdays at 8. There did actually used to be one called Wednesday at 8! Now Champions League football matches are back to Tuesdays on ITV, they're being more adventurous on Wednesdays. All Star Mr & Mrs is the first tentative steps to getting entertainment shows back in midweek. And it shows it can be done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Yes ABC1s are a key audience. Along with Housewives With Kids probably the biggest audience for ITV1.

Makes you think how many BBC shows ITV would love to have based on demos. I saw a feature about that years ago and three BBC shows advertisers said they'd love to have ads in were EastEnders, Top Of The Pops and Noel's House Party. NHP had good demo scores across all the age ranges and it's ABC1 scores were better than Blind Date's.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    EastEnders at nearly 8million now.

I think Paul O'Grady has affected it's ratings for Mondays.

I'm looking forward to it getting 8-9million once again.

It's getting really good now.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes you think how many BBC shows ITV would love to have based on demos. I saw a feature about that years ago and three BBC shows advertisers said they'd love to have ads in were EastEnders, Top Of The Pops and Noel's House Party. NHP had good demo scores across all the age ranges and it's ABC1 scores were better than Blind Date's.

I think the ABC1 skew (and the pretty young skew) is why ITV are probably happy to stick with The Jonathan Ross Show despite its poor total audience as apart from Downton they don't have anything that skews as much towards ABC1s as TJRS does. I expect they make a nice little profit on that show as it must be very cheap for them.

Also that's an insane 16-34 skew for Take Me Out - 37%! It actually beat Strictly in that demo. The X Factor's 50% ABC1 skew is very high for ITV1 too.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homeland could still be getting a bigger live audience on the night away Downton. You'd think Channel 4 would want to maximise live viewers to secure ad revenue.

What makes you - or, indeed, Broadcast magazine - think that there is any crossover in the audience between Homeland and DA? :confused:

I'd estimate the number of people who watch both shows is pretty minimal. I certainly can't see DA's core audience being interested in Homeland, let alone being able to cope with the strong language in it.

From where I'm sitting, it's brilliant scheduling - something genuinely different, so C4 is offering choice.

And, for anyone who really wants to watch both, there are the +1 channels plus recording facilities ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Demographic Information for BBC1 and ITV1 for Monday 8th to Sunday 15th October: http://i45.tinypic.com/2czyku9.jpg

Top programmes for the week among 18-49 year olds from that list (excludes soaps and news) were:

Note: Each number indicates the % of the UK 18-49 population. For e.g. 17.4% of 18-49 year olds living in the UK watched The X Factor (Sun)

Over half of Merlin's viewers are over the age of 45? It's nearly as old-skewing as New Tricks!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Over half of Merlin's viewers are over the age of 45? It's nearly as old-skewing as New Tricks!

Well, 82% for NT v 66% for Merlin. Part of the reason Merlin skews fairly old is because of what is on the other side at the same time.

EDIT: POG's Dogs' audience is 76% over 45; that's probably as much about being opposite EE as the subject-matter or host.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    @MrsBrownsBoys
    Christmas Special part one will be on BBC One Christmas Day #mrsbrownsboyschristmasspecial
    https://twitter.com/MrsBrownsBoys
  • Options
    satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    999 what's your emergency - 2.51m
    8 Out of 10 Cats - 1.32m
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't forget those are overnights and the timeshifters are skewed much younger.
  • Options
    ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member

How very rude. I am a regular reader of this thread, I am very grateful for the fact that posters on here take the time and effort to provide ratings for others too read and I've seen you post many, many times almost demanding ratings as if it is your right to them, plenty of times your requests have also been fulfilled and I've not even seen a thank you from you. Your attitude really does annnoy me.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look how weak the terrestrials are when it comes to 16-34's:

1. The X Factor (Sun) - 15.8
    2. The X Factor (Sat) - 15.1
    3. Take Me Out - 7.5
    4. Strictly Come Dancing (Sat) - 6.9
    5. Downton Abbey - 6.2

DRAMA:
    Downton Abbey - 6.2
    Waterloo Road - 4.9
    Merlin - 4.2
    New Tricks - 3.6
    Hunted - 2.7
    The Paradise - 2.6
    Monroe - 2.2
    DCI Banks - 1.7
    Homefront - 1.6

Same as the US when it comes to terrestrials and drama for anyone under 40. The difference in the UK is that there's not a huge volume of drama on digital ready to thrash the terrestrials.

I think for ITV, if they're talking about a pay channel, that might be the future. To build a channel for 16-34 drama. ITV2 can focus on entertainment. But using a new non ITV brand, line up some US imports and some more risque UK drama and comedy. Or even start developing drama for ITV4 aimed at men. Both ideas seem unlikely, though!

Even for TMO that 37% skew is particularly high (probably due to Strictly taking the older viewers). I'd imagine ITV will repeat this scheduling next year given how well it's working out. The only issue is over exposing TMO across the year.

Advertisers do like ABC1's. They'll pay more for 16-34's but outside a few key entertainment shows, ITV are so bad at reaching them that pretty much all their drama must now be aimed at ABC1's (ironically X Factor has a better ABC1 skew than all their drama apart from Downton!). They tried a few years back with The Palace and Rock Rivals to get 16-34's and it didn't work at all so you can see why they've settled into a steady routine. BBC1 aren't much better.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    What makes you - or, indeed, Broadcast magazine - think that there is any crossover in the audience between Homeland and DA? :confused:

I watch both as do others I know. Social media is full of people who do too.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A three month deal for Harry Potter seems a bit pointless as ITV1 wasn't due to show Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 until 2013 although I think if they able to delay it and show it along with Deathly Hallows part 2 for Christmas 2013, they might have a ratings winner.

I imagine The Dark Knight and The Hangover will get their premieres eventually, look how long it took for Rocky Balboa to air.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I may not like the show any more, but that and its 16-34 rating of 4.9 show why BBC still air it, its their best drama (except EE) for reaching that demo, which as a channel that should cater for all needs shows like that...

Miranda's repeats continue to shine, the new series should do very well...
This discussion has been closed.