Options

Just had to laugh at this by the Daily Fail

13»

Comments

• Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that I can see as a positive is that it might help to reinforce that being gay is not a 'choice' people make.

I'm not say I believe any of the 'science' in the article, but the whole idea that some people still have that being homosexual is a conscious choice boggles my mind.

What's wrong with believing that being gay is a choice?

People often go mad if you dare suggest it, but what's the actual reason that it's so bad to have that opinion?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People often go mad if you dare suggest it, but what's the actual reason that it's so bad to have that opinion?

I would ask the person when they chose to be straight. Most of the people who state being gay is a choice will tell you that being straight is normal and that's how you are born, so if you can be born straight surely you can be born gay ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would ask the person when they chose to be straight. Most of the people who state being gay is a choice will tell you that being straight is normal and that's how you are born, so if you can be born straight surely you can be born gay ?

That's not answering the question.

I just want a simple answer.

What's so wrong with believing it's a choice? I don't care if a person's gay, but it seems like a choice to me.

Please will someone just tell me why it's so offensive that so many knickers get in a twist about it?
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's bloody well NOT a choice. >:( Is that a simple enough answer?
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Apparently male dolphins are the only other species of animal who appear to 'enjoy' physical contact with other males, it's a social thing. Of course, dolphins don't smoke, so where does it leave that theory?

This explains everything. Dolphins did once smoke. Like chimneys. They could get away with it because there was very little water around at the time. After a while the males had their heads turned by the sight of each other puffing sexily away on Benson and Hedges and immediately began pairing up together and sporting Gay Pride badges. Then a voice boomed down from the clouds 'This is not the plaice for this. I have no time for such filthy halibuts!', and the earth was flooded with millions of gallons of water. And so dolphins don't smoke any more.

It makes perfect sense if you deep fry it in rice pudding and read it upside down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not answering the question.

I just want a simple answer.

What's so wrong with believing it's a choice? I don't care if a person's gay, but it seems like a choice to me.

Please will someone just tell me why it's so offensive that so many knickers get in a twist about it?

I'll tell you why it's so offensive. I spent my teenage years at school worrying myself sick because I knew I fancied boys instead of girls. I was terrified of what my parents would say if I didn't change and I even had girlfriends whom I didn't fancy in hope that my feelings would change.

To have to listen to idiots say I chose to be gay makes my blood boil.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying that gays are a genetic mutation? And that gay will disappear eventually?
    That is not what I said. I said that IF a gay gene exists then there is no reason why it cannot propagate to future generations, since simply being gay is not in itself a bar to having children to pass any such gene onto.

And most characteristics of an organism, be it a simple amoeba or a Blue Whale are down to genetic mutations leading to slight changes between parent and offspring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Because it's bloody well NOT a choice. >:( Is that a simple enough answer?

Why are you so angry about that? Surely someone with a different opinion shouldn't make you angry.

The anger and extreme reaction to that opinion is what I'm asking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you so angry about that? Surely someone with a different opinion shouldn't make you angry.

The anger and extreme reaction to that opinion is what I'm asking about.

I've stated why I am angry in a follow-up post. I went through hell battling my sexuality, and you dare to then suggest I made a choice? Of course I am angry.

Ask yourself this of anyone in your life whom you have been attracted to - did those feelings come naturally or did you think to yourself "I think I will chose be attracted to that person"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll tell you why it's so offensive. I spent my teenage years at school worrying myself sick because I knew I fancied boys instead of girls. I was terrified of what my parents would say if I didn't change and I even had girlfriends whom I didn't fancy in hope that my feelings would change.

To have to listen to idiots say I chose to be gay makes my blood boil.

Sounds like you're more angry with your parents and yourself than someone with an alternate opinion.

Hope you feel better about it all now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've stated why I am angry in a follow-up post. I went through hell battling my sexuality, and you dare to then suggest I made a choice? Of course I am angry.

Ask yourself this of anyone in your life whom you have been attracted to - did those feelings come naturally or did you think to yourself "I think I will chose be attracted to that person"?

Well of course I dare. Why wouldn't I? Your opinion isn't written in the stars.

And yes, I believe there is a certain amount of choice involved in my attractions to people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're more angry with your parents and yourself than someone with an alternate opinion.

Hope you feel better about it all now :)

The problem is that the viewpoint you take fuels ignorance, hatred and bigotry towards Gay people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that the viewpoint you take fuels ignorance, hatred and bigotry towards Gay people.

Is that your opinion? I don't see how saying that you can choose to be gay fuels hatred, ignorance and bigotry.

I'm sorry and I appreciate that you seem upset but this makes no sense.

Homophobes don't care why you're gay, they just care that you're gay surely. I haven't heard of any cases where someone has said "oh, they're born like that, ok then, it's just fine!"
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that your opinion? I don't see how saying that you can choose to be gay fuels hatred, ignorance and bigotry.

I'm sorry and I appreciate that you seem upset but this makes no sense.

Homophobes don't care why you're gay, they just care that you're gay surely. I haven't heard of any cases where someone has said "oh, they're born like that, ok then, it's just fine!"
    Because if you can choose to be gay, you can un-choose it. If you can un-choose it, you can be 'persuaded' to un-choose it, possibly by force by anti-gay 'gangs', or by charlatans preying on people who perhaps don't want to be gay and would pay handsomely not to be, not to mention making a desperate person feel worse if (when) they find they can't simply 'choose' not to be gay. As long as the 'belief' exists and perpetuates that something is a choice, you'll always have people taking advantage of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Because if you can choose to be gay, you can un-choose it. If you can un-choose it, you can be 'persuaded' to un-choose it, possibly by force by anti-gay 'gangs', or by charlatans preying on people who perhaps don't want to be gay and would pay handsomely not to be, not to mention making a desperate person feel worse if (when) they find they can't simply 'choose' not to be gay. As long as the 'belief' exists and perpetuates that something is a choice, you'll always have people taking advantage of it.

Excellent, thanks for your answer.

Gives me some insight. If someone said to me that I could choose not to be straight I wouldn't care, so it's interesting to read your opinion.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because if someone believes that homosexuality is a choice, then they will also assume that they can choose NOT to be homosexual and that can make them think hatred and discrimination toward someone who is "choosing" to be a certain way is okay.

I'm not saying you personally would opt to hate or discriminate against a gay person, but many would extrapolate the idea of 'choice' to justify treating them with contempt.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent, thanks for your answer.

Gives me some insight. If someone said to me that I could choose not to be straight I wouldn't care, so it's interesting to read your opinion.
    Neither would I, but that's because being a straight man in a primarily straight man's world, there's no 'benefit' to me in choosing not to be straight, so it's completely moot, however, if I was gay and lived in Uganda or Russia, and I was led to believe I could simply decide not to be gay and not get beaten up everyday or even killed, I daresay I'd jump at the chance.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dick Swaab? Seriously?