The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I'm not excusing Diana but I now get the impression that Iain was stressed and frustrated over f*cking up his ice-cream and its failure to freeze and Diana was a convenient whipping-boy. Diana's actions just tipped him over into having the temper-tantrum.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Martha has waded into the GBBO meltdown now on twitter

Things are NOT always what they seem on TV, Diana is an absolute legend, and the lack of freezer space was none of the bakers fault #chaos

What an episode. Nothing will reflect the utter chaos we experienced that day and @iain_watters you are a hero #bincident

Lack of freezer space may have been a problem-in which case Iain should not have left this week.

It still doesn't excuse Diana taking his out to put hers in.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Of course she did. Unless ice-cream can walk out of the freezer and she thinks ice-cream wouldn't melt in the heat. She knew it was Iain's, and she said nothing to Iain while it sits there melting.

In a mad moment, she could easily have forgotten she'd taken it out when moving stuff around in a freezer to make space. The pressure is pretty strong in the tent in normal circumstances and it was the hottest day of the year. The judges even made reference to the difficult environment.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with the mass hysteria but if you take someone's stuff out of the freezer you should at least tell them so they can put it else where
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Lack of freezer space may have been a problem-in which case Iain should not have left this week.

Diana claimed that fridge as hers. Where was Iain's in relation to his workstation? I think we need a detailed plan of the area. :D
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »

I can't understand why they use those small Smeg freezers. Just because they are pastel coloured and trendy doesn't make them practical for a show like this.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the producer have edited it this way to get everyone talking. And it's worked. I feel sorry for her, the level of abuse she has been getting on social media is nasty.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Diana claimed that fridge as hers. Where was Iain's in relation to his workstation? I think we need a detailed plan of the area. :D

I think Mark Gattis is looking for ideas for the new series of Sherlock .... maybe we should suggest this ??
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a waste of time hoping Ian will be asked back because next week's show has already been recorded. :(
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diana was obviously in the wrong but Iain spat the dummy out good and proper there. What a ludicrous decision to chuck everything in the bin.
    He deserved to go.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't have made a spot of difference whether Diana owned up to what she did or if Iain pointed the finger (not that I believe P&M were not completely aware of what happened). The ice cream disaster was not what he was eliminated for: it was the fact that he presented nothing when he admitted himself that he had other elements to show. His reaction was out of her control and she shouldn't be blamed for that.
    streetwise wrote: »
    Disappointed with Diana. Anyone know why Martha didn't win star baker?
    I was wondering this myself. She didn't even appear to be in consideration which I thought was odd :confused:
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    40 seconds in 25-degree heat when it was only half-frozen at best to start with...it's possible.

Frankly, I don't believe for a second it was only 40 seconds, and no, things don't melt that quickly. Although not completely frozen, it looked reasonably solid when he put it into the tin, and if something is big, then it freezes slower, but it also melts slower. Someone is telling a fib there.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Firstly, thanks to lee_w for posting a thread about this in the UK TV forum. Thought it was safe to go in there but a thread titled "Was Ian's departure from great British bake off fair" isn't easy to avoid. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

I think I know the reason why it was edited the way it was. They knew that An Extra Slice would need a ratings boost so when they had the chance they took it. :D

Feel sorry for Ian. Worked his socks off over the past few weeks but I doubt it would have been fully set...might have been a bit more solid but that's as far as it gets.

Baked Alaska is a favourite. Used to have it in halls of residence quite regularly. Once they'd made too many and I was bet I couldn't eat a whole one, so I did. Had enough for 8.

One week some salad had somehow got into the mix and when we cut into it there was cress and some little chunks of cucumber :D

Happy Days
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, I know it's probably already been mentioned, but why does Richard continually put that pencil behind his ear? We know he's a builder. Is he trying to make this his 'thing'? I find it quite pathetic. I don't know why it annoys me so much but it does.
  • shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the mass hysteria but if you take someone's stuff out of the freezer you should at least tell them so they can put it else where

^^ This, at the very least!!
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I can't understand why they use those small Smeg freezers. Just because they are pastel coloured and trendy doesn't make them practical for a show like this.

I spotted a shot of a large chest feeder, just once, rather than the smaller uprights
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    I spotted a shot of a large chest feeder, just once, rather than the smaller uprights

Shame they didn't tell Iain where it was. :D
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Also, I know it's probably already been mentioned, but why does Richard continually put that pencil behind his ear? We know he's a builder. Is he trying to make this his 'thing'? I find it quite pathetic. I don't know why it annoys me so much but it does.
    Get over yourself.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »

So did I - and I am sure that chest freezer was probably better at freezing than those diddy Smeg ones.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Well no, he didn't deserve to go.
    He was understandably annoyed that someone had, whether intentionally or not, screwed up his ice cream.
    He threw it out.
    He left.
    He came back.
    He didn't blame anyone but himself.

So someone with a passion for what he cooks goes out in favour of someone who (tho perfectly likable) is bakingly safe? It's not masterchef, where people are trying to demonstrate their ability to cope with the stress of running a commercial kitchen. It's just domestic bakers trying their best, preferably without nobbling.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »

He's a fourth generation builder and probably started out when he was 18 so that's 20 years of having a pencil behind the ear.

It's a habit....
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Martha has waded into the GBBO meltdown now on twitter

Things are NOT always what they seem on TV, Diana is an absolute legend, and the lack of freezer space was none of the bakers fault #chaos

What an episode. Nothing will reflect the utter chaos we experienced that day and @iain_watters you are a hero #bincident

Yes, hilarious on Twitter, the producers will be delighted.
    I've heard David Cameron is convening a meeting of Cobra to discuss the crisis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised at those suggesting Ian shouldn't have gone / nobody should have been eliminated. Regardless of anything Diana may or may not have done, his tantrum left Paul and Mary with no choice. Completely immature and lacked professionalism - if he had gone out of the tent for a minute or two and calmed down a bit, he may have come up with a way to salvage the situation (love the climate change baked Alaska idea!). I think if he had presented something that tasted good, even if it was a mess, he may have stayed and Norman would have gone. Shame as Iain is an interesting baker and I liked his sense of adventure.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a crock, Ian was all over that freezer he blatantly lied that he didnt see Di take his liquid cake out of the fridge he couldnt leave the bloody thing alone, Hope Di wins now
  • Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does Sue Perkins know it was just out for 40 seconds ?? Who told her this ? Was it filmed when it got took out off the freezer and left on the side or just trying to calm everyone down ?
    Whole thing smells wrong to me and shame it's all prerecorded so can't bring him back next week