How many bags do you use???

amiloamilo Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just been reading that Britain used 6.4 BILLION plastic bags from supermarkets!:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2021774/The-plastic-bag-betrayal-Cameron-Clegg-guilty-hypocritical-surrender-supermarkets.html

I live in Ireland where the law was changed a few years ago and we have to pay for each plastic bags so everyone brings their own bags to the supermarket and it works brilliantly.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this?

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I always take a bag unless I am only going out for a couple of things and then I don't use one. However I have been out for a couple of things and come back with two bags worth before
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I always take a bag unless I am only going out for a couple of things and then I don't use one. However I have been out for a couple of things and come back with two bags worth before

I always take a reusable bag with me and plan my trips to the supermarket so I take the required number of bags with me.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    You can certainly notice the difference in Ireland nowadays, the place is so much cleaner looking without those white bags blowing about the place, N.I is also introducing a similar scheme with the bags costing around 30 pence each. Wales will be introducing a 5 pence per bag charge later this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite happy to pay for bags when I've only got a couple of items, but if I've just spent £100 on shopping I'll be irritated if I have to pay for them. I understand the message behind paying for bags, but what are the alternatives? Maybe not pay after a certain amount, I don't know...
  • amiloamilo Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strok wrote: »
    I'm quite happy to pay for bags when I've only got a couple of items, but if I've just spent £100 on shopping I'll be irritated if I have to pay for them. I understand the message behind paying for bags, but what are the alternatives? Maybe not pay after a certain amount, I don't know...

Trust me,once it's brought in it becomes second nature.Most people have the bags in the car and when they unpack shopping just put the bags back in the car!And the cupboards aren't full of plastic bags!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to keep bags in my car but always forgot about them, so gave up. Now I just use the plastic bags the shops provide. Then, when they come home, we use them instead of black bin liners before putting them in the big bin outside.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Keep a couple of nylon bags in my hand bag for when I just need a few items and we take 14 strong bags when we do our monthly/6 week shop. But I do miss carrier bags as we used to use them again but now have to buy bags to put our rubbish in and carry plants etc in the car.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

You often find in Ireland, in the south anyway, clothes shops will give you paper rather than plastic bags.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I regulary spend €100 or more in a supermarket and havent in years asked for a bag .I have my own reusable in the car and I automatically lift them out as I get a trolly
    Its second nature now in Ireland and I am often surprised when on holidays when someone gives me a plastic bag for an ice lolly or a newspaper .:D
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got a co-op close to me so just carry small amounts or take a cloth bag with me if ive got more stuff to collect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the bags for my rubbish.

Unless they break or disintegrate I never throw them out., apart from the ones filled with rubbish. I find them very useful to store things at home.

I did get annoyed when I unpacked and the bag I used to line the box disintegrated everywhere:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    You often find in Ireland, in the south anyway, clothes shops will give you paper rather than plastic bags.

All the clothes shops have their own paper bags now , its illegal for them to give you a plastic bag without charging for it .
    Some are better than others but mostly are grand for an item or two .Lately I bought quite afew things in Pennys ( Primark and she put them in a double bag for me .
    Forum Member
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    I use the bags for my rubbish.

Unless they break or disintegrate I never throw them out., apart from the ones filled with rubbish. I find them very useful to store things at home.

I did get annoyed when I unpacked and the bag I used to line the box disintegrated everywhere:(

I find it strange that some regions still allow rubbish to be put in bags, I would be fined by my council for using a bag for rubbish. My local council check all the bins for content before emptying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    I find it strange that some regions still allow rubbish to be put in bags, I would be fined by my council for using a bag for rubbish. My local council check all the bins for content before emptying.

So how are you meant to get the rubbish from your kitchen bin to the outside rubbish bin :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    So how are you meant to get the rubbish from your kitchen bin to the outside rubbish bin :confused:

In paper bags or biodegradable ,,or simply carry the small bin out and tip it in ! Its not that hard !
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use as many as I require to carry my shopping, and then re-use them as bin-liners in my kitchen, living room & games room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In paper bags or biodegradable ,,or simply carry the small bin out and tip it in ! Its not that hard !

We have a large kitchen bin, and I'd never be able to carry it downstairs and lift it up high enough to tip into the rubbish bin.
    Without a bin liner/bag inside, the kitchen bin would be revoltingly dirty after emptying :(

To answer the OP, we have cotton shopping bags which we take with us 95% of the times we go shopping. On the odd occasion that we forget them, I use as few plastic bags as possible. Old bags are stored and used around the house when needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a large kitchen bin, and I'd never be able to carry it downstairs and lift it up high enough to tip into the rubbish bin.
    Without a bin liner/bag inside, the kitchen bin would be revoltingly dirty after emptying :(

I use a biodegradeable liner in my bin and simply lift it into the wheelie outside .
    Forum Member

We are supplied with 3 different bins for the kitchen which can be carried out to the main bins plus an additional plastic crate for bottles.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We use the stronger bags, But still manage to collect quite a few carrier bags, My mrs gives them to the local newsagents when we have lots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use plastic bags again! I have a special cupboard in the kitchen which just holds plastic bags! Only problem is, every now and then I find myself with massive overstuffing plastic bag overload! :D
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As many as required to fit my shopping in and if I need anymore, I'll ask and then get a look off the person at the checkout as if I had just asked for something illegal. They hide them away, so that less get used, but I'm going to pack raw chicken with Ice cream am I!?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »

Some of us live in flats we could never not use bags to get down stairs and across the car park to the bin area, also with two weekly collections of rubbish if it isn't sealed in bags the paladins would be alive with flies and rats. It's bad enough now I can't imagine if the rubbish was loose.
    Forum Member
    I always use plastic bags again! I have a special cupboard in the kitchen which just holds plastic bags! Only problem is, every now and then I find myself with massive overstuffing plastic bag overload! :D

A local charity will take any white plastic bags from us, they use the bags for small amounts of coal so that pensioners do not have to lift a heavy shovel or scuttle just throw the sealed bag into the fire so there is no mess or fuss.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Some of us live in flats we could never not use bags to get down stairs and across the car park to the bin area, also with two weekly collections of rubbish if it isn't sealed in bags the paladins would be alive with flies and rats. It's bad enough now I can't imagine if the rubbish was loose.

Do you have seperate bins for different types of refuge? I have 3 bins that are emptied weekly with bottles being collected fortnightly. In addition we have several clothes banks and a few large bins for dog poo and nappies which we are not allowed to put in any of our bins. There does seem to be a massive difference between councils and their policies in the U.K