Has 'Star Trek' been spoiled by the 2009 reboot?

13»

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Few fans seem to care that TNG's Relics threw a huge spanner in the works of Trek continuity. They all recognise that it did, but just make excuses to cover up for one of the series' best ever episodes.

It wasn't a huge spanner in the works. It's a minor inconsistency where Scotty presumes that Kirk has come to rescue him despite seeing his death many years earlier. It could easily be explained away that after decades in a transporter beam, Scotty was just confused. Besides, Relics didn't cause the problem. Generations did. Relics was produced before Generations.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Few fans seem to care that TNG's Relics threw a huge spanner in the works of Trek continuity. They all recognise that it did, but just make excuses to cover up for one of the series' best ever episodes.

It's a continuity issue but one that has been explained by Scotty being momentarily disorientated due to being stuck inside the transporter system for all those years.

Or...

In the book version of Generations, Guinan tells Chekov that Kirk is still alive in the Nexus, so that would explain why Scotty believes Kirk may still be around. Of course the novel itself isn't canon, so whilst the conversation between Guinan and Chekov never officially happened, it's not unreasonable to assume that it did.

Either way, its a fun episode.
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be of interest to some of you... :D

Honest Trailers - Star Trek (2009) - YouTube
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I think it has, based on me only seeing the 2009 film not the latest one.

As I watched it other than it being the typical JJ Abrahams film with the usual things he has in all his stuff and relying on CGI/SFX too much, it just didn't feel like a Star Trek film.

That could have been any old sci-fi film, just using familiar names and ship. That universe felt more like it belonged in the same one as Prometeus rather than Star Trek.

I'm really not looking forward to the new Star Wars film for the same reason. It's going to be darker and more so called relaistic (see not fun) and the universe won't feel like the Star Wars universe. When you had slightly darker Star Wars films like TESB it still felt like it was part of the universe. I'm really expecting the new one to not have that feel.

Star Trek can go more serious and a bit darker as DS9 showed compared to ST:TOS and ST:TNG, but it still felt like Star Trek. The reboot doesn't have that and so it's just another big budget scifi film, just using a franchise to make easy money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, reboot gave the writers and directors a clean slate to do things and try things they could not do in the old universe due to its history...unfortunately, they totally and utterly failed with the second film to do that.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reboot doesn't have that and so it's just another big budget scifi film, just using a franchise to make easy money

So what? I still enjoyed it. I do like the original Star Trek but wouldn't call myself a Trekkie. Maybe that's why I'm relaxed about the rebooted franchise?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new films have perhaps made it difficult to revisit the core of Star Trek on TV.

But they are not Star Trek, so haven't spoilt anything.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish they would stop pinching stuff, Wrath Of Khan, I mean when he said his name I was like, that's the best you can do. :confused:
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An entertaining in depth analysis of the reboot here:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/

Or a briefer summary here :D

Star Trek (2009) Review by RedLetterMedia - YouTube
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    No, reboot gave the writers and directors a clean slate to do things and try things they could not do in the old universe due to its history...unfortunately, they totally and utterly failed with the second film to do that.

True that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by CJClarke
    [This has been covered before i think, but it hasn't wiped out the old timeline. The original timeline still exists, and this new timeline couldn't exist without the old one due to "old Spock's" involvement in the events of Star Trek 2009. The future in the new timeline will be different, but the old TOS/TNG/DS9/Voyager timeline is still valid as all the events in that timeline lead to the new one.]

I have seen 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and thought it was brilliant.
    You have a lot more scope with new timelines