Apple getting desperate

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    No wonder the ios figures for browsing are so high you have to load every page twice madness.

Nope, it is more likely anyone using desktop web mode on Android does not figure.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure that this affects iOS browsing stats.

Its amazing that this strand started out with someone making the ludicrous and patently untrue claim that "Apple have banned the desktop web" has now reached the supposedly reasonable conclusion that this is an example of people who buy Apple products being clueless.

You couldn't make it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Nope, it is more likely anyone using desktop web mode on Android does not figure.

Its even more likely that the stats account for all of this.

As opposed to you two having stumbled upon something which totally skews the figures unfairly in Apple's favour.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I'm not sure that this affects iOS browsing stats.

Its amazing that this strand started out with someone making the ludicrous and patently untrue claim that "Apple have banned the desktop web" has now reached the supposedly reasonable conclusion that this is an example of people who buy Apple products being clueless.

You couldn't make it up.

Your right to not have this as a default option is madness and very hard to believe
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only occasionally dip into this thread, but is there any particular website that doesn't load in desktop mode? All the sites I use day to day seem to display as normal desktop mode by default :confused:

edit: Come to think of it, I do mainly use Chrome on iOS these days, so that could be why I never notice it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Your right to not have this as a default option is madness and very hard to believe

I think you quoted the wrong post.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I only occasionally dip into this thread, but is there any particular website that doesn't load in desktop mode? All the sites I use day to day seem to display as normal desktop mode by default :confused:
    edit: Come to think of it, I do mainly use Chrome on iOS these days, so that could be why I never notice it.

Could be. I set desktop mode when I kept finding I had to click through maybe 3 pages to see a grand total of one page worth of data.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Could be. I set desktop mode when I kept finding I had to click through maybe 3 pages to see a grand total of one page worth of data.

In the past even Chrome had the problem that it wasn't remembering the 'Request Desktop Site' setting. It seems alright now on later versions.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it seem crazy that the default version of a website on a capacitive smobile device would be the mobile version? I would have thought the clue was in the name.

Yes it is.

But its not that big a deal to click on a 'desktop version' link, which most mobile versions have.

So is it inaccurate to say that Apple have banned the desktop web in Safari on iOS?

Yes or no?

I think the mobile version is designed for older phones with smaller screens etc and not your average smartphone with larger screen (even the iPhone and especially the iPhone 5 with its stretched screen).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the mobile version is designed for older phones with smaller screens etc and not your average smartphone with larger screen (even the iPhone and especially the iPhone 5 with its stretched screen).

I agree to some extent, but sometimes they're just designed to make mobile browsing easier. Desktop sites tend to be designed for widescreen displays now, and most people tend to use their mobiles in portrait mode.

I mentioned the National Lottery website earlier. Here's how the mobile and desktop versions look on the iPhone 5. The mobile site automatically hides the address bar and provides a simpler interface with bigger buttons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddhdo4bljcgse2g/2013-04-29%2018.38.33.jpg

When you enter your numbers, it brings up a numeric keypad, which again is easier. It's just nicer to use on a phone.

That said, I almost always use the desktop versions of websites, even on my phone.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll ask the same question again, what website are you having a problem with. Both my stock android and iPad browsers will default to the desktop version once you have selected it.

If you really want an option to select a desktop version, then download another browser, it is the choice android users bang on about. Is this another attempt to claim there is an issue that doesn't actually exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with IslandNiles.

I don't think a 5" screen quite compares to a larger screen on a desktop or laptop.

Responsive web design is a fairly recent trend, and is absolutely geared towards serving up different CSS for current mobile devices.

I would have thought that some mobile versions are better than others, and that some desktop versions would be better than others on a small screen.

So some people might want to set a global default to the desktop version, but it makes as much sense to decide on a site by site basis.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the vast majority of cases it can be changed by clicking on a 'desktop version' link. If that's all it takes to drive you loopy...

But you need to do it EVERY time you go to a website. Thats not user friendly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its even more likely that the stats account for all of this.

As opposed to you two having stumbled upon something which totally skews the figures unfairly in Apple's favour.

Desktop views on Android are well known for skewing ios browsing figures. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you need to do it EVERY time you go to a website. Thats not user friendly.

Every time you go to a NEW website, if there's a mobile version and if the developer has directed mobile traffic to the mobile version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desktop views on Android are well known for skewing ios browsing figures. :confused:

Is that true though? Do we know how the stats were collected? Are they about mobile traffic through mobile sites?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I'll ask the same question again, what website are you having a problem with. Both my stock android and iPad browsers will default to the desktop version once you have selected it.

If you really want an option to select a desktop version, then download another browser, it is the choice android users bang on about. Is this another attempt to claim there is an issue that doesn't actually exist.

Maybe its a difference between iPhone and iPad then?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that true though? Do we know how the stats were collected? Are they about mobile traffic through mobile sites?

Its likely. the device sends a request for a webpage which includes the type of device it is, OS run, etc. The 'set as desktop version' option in mobile browsers cheats this by sending false data claiming to be a desktop. AFAIK this means that the website owner is unable to tell that it is actually a phone spoofing a desktop.

Certainly the easiest way of collecting the stats is to look at the traffic logs of (ideally many) websites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Its likely. the device sends a request for a webpage which includes the type of device it is, OS run, etc. The 'set as desktop version' option in mobile browsers cheats this by sending false data claiming to be a desktop. AFAIK this means that the website owner is unable to tell that it is actually a phone spoofing a desktop.

Certainly the easiest way of collecting the stats is to look at the traffic logs of (ideally many) websites.

Ah, I see. That's exactly how I expected the data to be collected, but I didn't realise that the 'set as desktop' option works by sending false data. That makes sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. That's exactly how I expected the data to be collected, but I didn't realise that the 'set as desktop' option works by sending false data. That makes sense.

Thats pretty much how it works yes.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most desktop browsers will allow you to set them so they appear to the website as an ipad, or an Android phone, etc. The setting is user agent string. Useful for testing website changes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Most desktop browsers will allow you to set them so they appear to the website as an ipad, or an Android phone, etc. The setting is user agent string. Useful for testing website changes.

But there are several browsers available for both Android and iOS and several of them can spoof the user agent string. Not everyone uses the stock browsers, especially those who regularly switch between platforms and tend to prefer a browser which is platform agnostic so that everything is synced whatever device/computer they use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    But there are several browsers available for both Android and iOS and several of them can spoof the user agent string. Not everyone uses the stock browsers, especially those who regularly switch between platforms and tend to prefer a browser which is platform agnostic so that everything is synced whatever device/computer they use.

But then you have "default browsers" which is only Safari on iOS. Say you click on an email link from amazon or ebuyer or bbc news watch......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on what you mean by well known.

So all the stats about browsing on mobile devices are skewed in Apple's favour because of Android users viewing desktop versions.

And the stats don't take that into account at all?

Surely it would make sense, if measuring browser stats, they just count requests made by browser, and whether that request was for mobile or desktop version would be completely irrelevant.

But just to clarify, are you saying that:

A. Mobile browsing stats only count requests made to mobile versions?

and

B. That mobile browsing stats are skewed in Apple's favour due to a statistically significant proportion of Android users viewing desktop versions compared to iOS users?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A. Mobile browsing stats only count requests made to mobile versions?

and

B. That mobile browsing stats are skewed in Apple's favour due to a statistically significant proportion of Android users viewing desktop versions compared to iOS users?

Are you saying that isn't so? Because if you have evidence to the contrary then we can obviously draw a close to this point right?