Windows 8.1 blocking torrent sites that W7 allows

mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Desktop running W7, Comodo Security. connected by ethernet.
Laptop running W8.1, Windows Defender, wireless connection.
Both on the same router.

On W7 I have no problem connecting to torrent sites but on W8.1 I get the "Error- site blocked" message.
But they are both connected to the same router.

I've tried connecting the laptop by ethernet and the desktop with a wireless adaptor but it makes no difference - W7 allows the sites, W8.1 doesn't.
I'm a bit puzzled:confused:

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a screenshot of the error message?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to see really. It looks like the standard ISP site blocked meassage
    http://postimg.org/image/mrhhfz2vz/
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    has this just happened? maybe it will take a while for them both to be the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    has this just happened? maybe it will take a while for them both to be the same.

It started on Thursday.
    As long as they'll both get the sites that'll be OK
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main difference is not the operating system it's Comodo Security/Windows Defender.

That seems the most likely cause.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    It's unheard of for an operating system to block a website. Even a browser wouldn't block a website, unless it's been listed in the settings. An ISP would, but that wouldn't explain why it's blocked on one computer and not on the other.

I agree with Tassium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The main difference is not the operating system it's Comodo Security/Windows Defender.

That seems the most likely cause.
    Pencil wrote: »
    It's unheard of for an operating system to block a website. Even a browser wouldn't block a website, unless it's been listed in the settings. An ISP would, but that wouldn't explain why it's blocked on one computer and not on the other.

I agree with Tassium.

I agree too but the laptop doesn't.

I disabled Windows Defender on the laptop - no difference
    Installed Comodo on the laptop - no difference.

I'm not greatly concerned (just baffled) as it isn't my laptop and torrent sites can be accessed through the various proxies available and the owner doesn't bother much anyway.
    It's just extremely puzzling that my W7 PC can get the sites direct but the W8.1 laptop doesn't.
    Thanks for the replies
  • sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Are the dns settings the same on both machines, could one be using your isp dns and the other 3rd party one
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The type of connection to the router is worth looking into then.

But I'm no expert, my way of dealing with problems is usually a complete OS re-install...

Maybe worth connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet, just to see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandman112 wrote: »
    Are the dns settings the same on both machines, could one be using your isp dns and the other 3rd party one

You're a genius:)
    Why didn't I think of that>:(

AFAIK I can't change the DNS settings on the BT HomeHub 3 so, to make life easy, I use DNS Jumper on my desktop http://www.sordum.org/7952/dns-jumper-v1-0-6/ and it was using US Level 3-A.
    So, I installed DNS Jumper on the laptop, flushed the DNS cache, found and selected the fastest DNS applied the settings - and it worked:D

Using the BT DNS on the laptop the sites were blocked, switch to another DNS and everything's fine plus speedtest results are higher by almost 2mb/s- result all round.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normal hardware solution to overcome an ISP with fixed DNS is to get a second router and connect from LAN of BT hub to WAN of new router., setting new router DNS settings to whatever you want, and then all connecting devices will use that DNS (unless overriden by indvidual devices).

However, your software solution works and seems little hassle - that is a good result, and is a good tip for people to try when faced with similar issues.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just use Opera browser on both machines. No need to change any DNS/Firewalls/Router settings as it connects using an anonymous proxy by default so all sites blocked in IE/Chrome/FF will be viewable (not just torrent sites either)
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just use Opera browser on both machines. No need to change any DNS/Firewalls/Router settings as it connects using an anonymous proxy by default so all sites blocked in IE/Chrome/FF will be viewable (not just torrent sites either)

You have to enable Opera Turbo for this to work (in case anyone was having difficulty).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes and that's another solution but not everyone likes Opera - horses for courses, I suppose - but a lot of people prefer Chrome or even IE11
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The torrent sites that I was able to access before, I can still access now. There's quite a few that have been blocked when I've tried to access them though. They got blocked when I was using Windows 8.