2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    [deleted - duplicate]
  • NoahsAarkNoahsAark Posts: 30,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend and I went again last night. It wasn't the best show, at least in the first act. The audience took an age to warm up, and the cast had occasional outburst of the giggles. Some of the vocal performances weren't quite as polished as they were on press night.

Mind you, the second half was a lot better on both counts -- I think liberal application of alcohol worked wonders on the audience, and I don't think I've heard "Goodbye" sung better.

But that's the great thing about live theatre -- every performance is different.

It's interesting that you say that ... I saw it again today and Mark Goldthorpe forgot his lines at one point and then he and Lucy had the giggles in another part.

Daniel said he felt he wasn't at his best, although I disagree and thought his performance was of a very high standard. Jodie was particularly strong today.

It was different though ... and I enjoyed it for different reasons ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw ILYB for my final time last night and I have to say that Daniel gave his best performance yet. I had disagreed with him on Sunday when he said he thought his performance was a bit 'flat' because I didn't think so, but last night he was amazing, bringing new touches to his character even now.

There is a strong possibility now that ILYB is going to transfer to the West End in February 2008 - which is fantastic news if it all comes off. I was chatting to the producer last night and she said that they were visiting the theatre in question today - so I hope it went well for them.

It has been truly wonderful seeing Daniel perform so close up in this lovely musical ... and he's been as delightful as ever popping over to speak, as he did last night, with my husband and I. I'm not sure my hubby was that happy about being called 'The Kitten's Husband' by the producer mind you :D
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D @ your husband being called a Kitten's husband but he was very good to go with you

Fingers crossed for the west end. When i saw it I thought what a shame it wasn't there then more people could get to see it and experience a fabulous show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    :D @ your husband being called a Kitten's husband but he was very good to go with you

Fingers crossed for the west end. When i saw it I thought what a shame it wasn't there then more people could get to see it and experience a fabulous show

He's met Daniel before - at the Georgia Stitt concert - although he's not a true Tom Cat !!! What was more embarrassing/funny was the producer telling a row of people behind me about Daniel's kitten song on ADWD and that his fans were called 'Kittens' and then saying 'And we have one here tonight' ... my hubby just groaned and I just blushed ... it was very funny.

Great audience last night too ... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I am so glad to hear how well Daniel is doing - he seemed such a lovely bloke on ADWD, I loved his kittens song, and he had such a cute face, always smiling. Well done Daniel and his loyal fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Ok, review from Sunday from a Lovelee Kitten. Hope the Kittens don't mind me using their name, but I consider myself a fan of both!

I feel very privileged to have seen I Love You Because in such an intimate theatre as the Landor, because this show deserves to be on a bigger stage. But having said that, the audience benefits so much from the cosy setting that it is almost enough to make you want to keep it as your little secret. The only drawback to the theatre’s size is that at times, the actors, Daniel Boys in particular, seemed to be reigning in their voices to compensate. But when Daniel really does let his voice do what it does best, it soars beautifully – in a way that TV could never convey. Having no mics does not seem to daunt the cast, and in Daniel’s biggest songs and notes, his voice was breathtaking – all the more so because you were startlingly aware of the fact it was in its natural beauty.
    It would be unfair to review the musical and concentrate solely on Daniel, for the other five members of the cast are wonderful too. Richard Frame lacks Daniel’s charisma, but playing a character who is a self-confessed ‘perpetual bachelor’ with a tendency towards malapropisms, this lack of charisma does not matter too much. His American accent is spot on, and probably the best of them all. Here, incidentally, is the one area I can find to fault Daniel. His accent fades in and out of New York American, enough to make one wonder whether the director would have lost too many nuances by making the brothers English. Having said this, the way Daniel plays Austin Bennet is devastatingly brilliant in every other way. His facial expression are wonderfully detailed and beautiful in their poignancy humour and pathos.
    The chemistry between Daniel and Jodie Jacobs who plays Marcy has been much noted and it would be hard to disagree. They make a perfect pair, so much so that when their relationship founders, tears sprung to my eyes, such was the chemistry and the feeling that these two should be together. Marcy’s sidekick Diana is adeptly played by Debbie Kurup who, along with Frame, raises plenty of laughs along the way.
    In the second act, as Daniel stood just feet, or not even that, away from me in my seat on the front row, he began to make eye contact with the audience as he hit the big notes. The few seconds in which his eyes lingered on mine made me feel like the only person in the packed out theatre – and I’m sure others felt this too. His charisma and star quality is such that it is hard to tear your eyes away from him at times – he truly has a magnetic presence on stage.
    There is no doubt about it that this is a much more complex role than that of Joseph, and in this respect gives Daniel chance to show off his acting skills – which he did not have much opportunity to do in ADWD. He has nailed the character of Austin Bennet, and I doubt there was a single member of the audience who did not fall for ands root for the geeky, sweet and loveable Austin, thanks to Daniel’s portrayal.
    As the cast come on stage to take their bows at the close of the play – which comes all too quickly after the short second act – the joy they feel is clear to see. There can be no doubt that these six people have had a great time putting on this show and are rightly proud of the end product. They soak up the applause not with the bravado and swagger of people who have seen it all before but with humility and the enjoyment of people who really do appreciate their fans. The willingness of them, Daniel in particular, to sign autographs and pose for photos in the bar later only compounded this view.
    I Love You Because is a funny and heartwarming show about the nature of love and how it finds you. It has everything a great show needs – great actors, good music, plenty of humour, a touch of sadness and lots of emotion. If this is a sign of things to come from Daniel Boys, then I for one wait with bated breath for his next project.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ace - and of course you can be a Lovelee Kitten ... :D