So, how's Series Four working out for you so far?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    thoroughly enjoying it. Tate has proved an inspired bit of casting and the scripts superb. absolutely loved the past two weeks DW at its very best and the Sontarans inlike some other returning villains were truly done absolute justice and i take my hat off to Helen Raynor for that.
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capnm wrote: »
    thoroughly enjoying it. Tate has proved an inspired bit of casting and the scripts superb. absolutely loved the past two weeks DW at its very best and the Sontarans inlike some other returning villains were truly done absolute justice and i take my hat off to Helen Raynor for that.

I agree. The Sontarans have certainly been much better served than the Cybermen were. The Daleks' renewal started well but then went OTT and last year's story was a big disappointment.

It's not too late for the Cybermen to regain their sheen, but next time they'll be starting with the handicap of recent memories and so they'll have to be handled really well to make up lost ground.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it, there hasn't been a TGITF or a Human Nature yet but there's plenty of time yet, I would say that so far this series has been the most consistent with no clunkers as of yet (I have a nasty feeling next weeks episode might buck this trend).

S&J vs PIC- PIC had it's moments but S&J is the best opener by far, S&J wins easily.

TSC vs TFoP- Gotta go with TFoP here for the emotional punch although TSC did the whole 'see people from the past are exactly like us really lolz' a lot better.

Gridlock vs PotO- If I was just going on first viewings I might have actually gone with The Ood, as it is i'll go with Gridlock as it's had far more rewatch value in a year than Ood had in a week (I realised that most of my initial enthusiasm for PotO had a lot to do with the novelty of actually going on an alien planet and learning about the culture of the non-human life there).

DiM/EoTD vs TSS/TPS- Those potato-headed fiends win so easily it isn't even funny, in fact i'd go as far as saying it's the strongest of the 'first' two-parters by a country mile.

So so far Series 4 is just winning, it's also just winning on the companion front too, loved Martha but Donna is just fantastic. I'm also loving the more classic-who vibe of this series (partly due, I think, to the very non-romantic- nature of the D/D relationship).
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,473
    Forum Member
    Its been a good start for me. Great new companion which has justified my "wait and see" approach and very good seeding of a big story arc, especially with the Rose appearances.

S&J vs PiC: S&J I wasn't a massive fan of the 'fat' story - a little childish for me. I never expect anything groundbreaking from episode 1 but Smith and Jones was the best opener of any series so a win for that.

Shakespeare vs Pompeii: Pompeii I really loved Fires of Pompeii. Fantastic setting, strong story, great special effects and an interesting 'meddling with time' dilemma. CT's performance won me over.

Gridlock vs Ood: Draw Ood was a very wierd kind of episode with a strange feel, although the emotional aspect was superb. I thought Gridlock had a decent story and I loved the scene at the end about Gallifrey. Too close to call.

Daleks vs Sontarans: Sontarans The first two parter of every series seems to be the standard 'Alien invades earth' scenario. That said, the Sontaran episodes were the better than their Slitheen, Cybermen and Dalek counterparts. Perfecty servicable plot with a good enemy and some great effects. Good, enjoyable telly.

So Series 4 just has it for me. All considered, probably the strongest position any series has been after 5 episodes. The next best was Series 2, which had the superb Girl in the Fireplace and the great Tooth and Claw, but also had the godawful New Earth and dubious Cybermen episodes...

Lets hope this series dosen't go down the Love and Monsters / Fear Her route....!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, I'm very happy with how the series s going, I get the sense they are only laying the ground work for what should be even better episodes to come though....

I think I've actually preferred each episode of this series to it's counterpart from series 3, and i thought series 3 had a pretty solid opening.

The only episode I wasn't completely solid on was PIC, but then series openers never really seem to impress me that much, even Rose was a bit so-so for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly been some crackers so far that's for sure. Loved the Sontaran 2 parter way more than almost any other 2 parter (that wasn't a series finale). Hasn't been anything yet that compares to The Girl in the Fireplace from series 2, but this is all shaping up well.

It may be hard to find an individual episode that tops "Blink", and the next 2 parter may not top "Human Nature/Family of Blood", and the 11th Ep may not top the Utopia Master revelations, but I think as a whole this is shaping up to be a really solid set of episodes.

Edited to add: Next week could be a turning point if the episode sits badly with some, depends on the details of it of course, it may just be something that adds to the whole arc - and I'd be expecting mention of Rose next week too, having seen her twice now I don't think her name has been mentioned (?) and someone with a seeming knowledge of the Doctor would be a prime candidate to mention it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Overall, I'm very happy with how the series s going, I get the sense they are only laying the ground work for what should be even better episodes to come though....

I think I've actually preferred each episode of this series to it's counterpart from series 3, and i thought series 3 had a pretty solid opening.

The only episode I wasn't completely solid on was PIC, but then series openers never really seem to impress me that much, even Rose was a bit so-so for me.

I thought PiC was pretty good. A few parts were laboured, and the Adipose weren't the greatest of ideas, but Doctor Who has seen far worse in its illustrious history!

I agree that generally the season openers don't hit all the right buttons for me, but I must say I really enjoyed Smith & Jones. It may not have had the deepest plot, but it did its job well, and the Judoon were excellent creations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving Series 4 more so than any other so far.

Planet of the Ood is a stand out episode in my opinion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I will admit, although i was excited about Donna joining the show. Before the episodes aired i suspected that i would just be watching the show waiting for Martha's return similiar to what i did watching Torchwood waiting for Martha to show up, however when the episodes did actually air i was surprised with Martha and even Rose's appearances being the icing on the cake so to speak

I think series four is my favourite so far, Donna Noble is absolutely brilliant. I love how the character is played and how she has matured since her appearance in 'The Runaway Bride' her family are great as well. Sylvia may be bossy but she's only mothering her daughter, she makes it believable. Unlike Francine, Martha's mother. Who just seemed to be a bitch in her attempts to keep Martha from the Doctor, even though she was being influenced by Mr Saxon. Wilf as well is amazing, the scenes between him and Donna are lovely. I want him to be my granddad lol... The episodes as well

Episode One: It was nothing special compared to 'Smith and Jones' the whole hospital on the moon thing was a great way to open the series, 'Partners in crime' it was enjoyable but i think it was only supposed to introduce Donna again whilst showing off the pairing of Donna and the Doctor with a different dynamic. The fat little alien blobs had nothing in the Judoon.

Episode Two: I didnt watch it, i was on a weekend away.

Episode Three: Absolutely brilliant, learning of the Ood's origins and Donna's emotional scenes. Donna should have kicked that womans head in who gave them away, it would have been more fun than her just being killed by the Ood.

Episode Four and Five: Martha's return! i loved Martha when she was a main character, but im glad she's changed. Im glad she's over the Doctor, even though it was so predictable that she would be engaged to Tom Milligan when spoilers said she would come back engaged. The story as well, i wasnt familiar with the Sontarans until these episodes. I liked the MarthaClone business because we got to see a dark side that we wouldnt see in Martha herself, i also love the little flashes we keep seeing of Rose.

The next episode looks interesting, its got a lot of people speculating as well. In my opinion its one of the most anticipated episodes of the series, mainly because Wow! the Doctor has a daughter, or is all as it seems. You never know with Doctor who and thats what keeps me hooked, i like knowing things to an extent like companion returns but i also like the twists and turns

So series four of Doctor who so far gets the thumbs up from me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loving it but to much comedy with ct. dr who is not a comedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You never watched Tom Baker then?
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member

DW's been doing comedy stories ever since Hartnell's 'The Romans'.

Regards,

Cypher
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not floating my boat

but then I havent watched since the first ep because of CT

Then you forfeit your right to comment on Series 4.

Am really enjoying the season. CT has been a revelation and I'm so pleased she's proved the naysayers wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DB5 wrote: »
    CT has been a revelation and I'm so pleased she's proved the naysayers wrong.
    Some of the naysayers still seem to be saying nay, so I'm not exactly sure she has. It's all a taste thing.
  • Anne CAnne C Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been a bit of a let-down for me so far I think, only Planet of the Ood has stood out as a brilliant episode.
    However, I will confess to being completely wrong about Catherine Tate - she's a very good companion, I expected to loathe her.
    I hope things on the story front pick up as the season progresses - after all, they definitely did last year, so I am ever hopeful!
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Good grief, someone tell that chap that paragraph's haven't been outlawed by universities yet.

As for season four, as loathe as I am to admit it, tate is growing on me. I'm getting pig sick of tennant though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    It needs to improve.

Has yet to really get going yet, I thought last week's was the worst yet. Too much going on, everything solved in an instant, no creation of fear or tension. Shame as I thought the first part built it quite well.

Best episode by a mile is Planet of the Ood, all the others have been pretty average at best.

It's good how they are dropping hints about whats coming up though, lets hope they deliver something big.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's certainly the best season so far, so far. If you look at eps 1-5 of the first three series, they all had at least one mediocre episode in there. So far, it's 5/5 all the way in S4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All in all, not too bad so far. Wasn't impressed by the PotO,
    (Can't really explain why, it just didn't work for me). Liked the Sontaran two parter. Partners in crime- cute and quirky.
    The stand-out for me has been FoP. Excellent in all depts.

The real surprise for me this season has been CT. I really like the emotional depth and maturity that she and the writers have tried to give her character. So I'm very happy to admit I was wrong about her joining the show. Never been so happy to be proven wrong.
    One slight down side , I think DT is treading water this season....
  • pablopicassopablopicasso Posts: 32,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    One slight down side , I think DT is treading water this season....

He just PM'd me, he said "I'm sorry, so sorry". :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just PM'd me, he said "I'm sorry, so sorry". :D:D

Ah! Ok, that's alright then.....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying the series so far.
    Every episode has such a high quality. Its almost like watching a film each week and its easy to forget that its made on a BBC budget.

Agree with others who mention this series has a feel of the classic series. I particularly felt that FOP really had a feel of an old style BBC TV centre type production - esp the scenes set in the villa - just felt like those old studio sets - but in this case it was a good thing!

CT has proved to be an excellent companion - the emotional depth that CT has put into the character and the little touches, like being awkward around aliens or getting names wrong, really shows a more human side that I think Martha lacked. But I can't help thinking that somehow Donna is going to turn nasty later in this series and betray the Dr in some way.

Good to see Martha back simply for those scenes where she meets up with the Dr again. I never really believed in Martha as a character. I felt her portrayl in the series 3 finale was a real let down (and that could either be Freema's acting or the way the character has been written) - when The Master commented that she was a bit pathetic ("you used to have companions that could absorb the time vortex, this ones useless!") I found myself agreeing. Her transformation, via Torchwood, into the UNIT Doctor, is completely unbelievable.

I'm loving the Rose appearances and I can't wait for that to get explained further.

I've been watching series one this last week - I was so surprised how different it feels in comparison to series 4. The stories are left to breathe more - music is more subtle - and the Dr very dark as a character. I love DT but I wish CE had stayed a bit longer.
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littlepete wrote: »
    I've been watching series one this last week - I was so surprised how different it feels in comparison to series 4. The stories are left to breathe more - music is more subtle - and the Dr very dark as a character. I love DT but I wish CE had stayed a bit longer.

I agree - it has evolved so much in only four years. The Doctor was a very dark and mysterious character back then, but I suppose you could say that was because he had only just started to get past the trauma of the "Time War" in the first series.

Eventually, when the Tenth Doctor came along (and the Daleks seemingly gone forever), he had more or less put the War and its effects behind him. (Obviously when the Cult of Skaro and the Master showed up, no doubt he'd be getting flashbacks).