Options

Davison in Talks to Not Appear in the 50th Anniversary Special

DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
Forum Member
In the ongoing saga of who will and who won't be appearing in the 50th anniversary special I found this article the most confusing so far:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a463781/peter-davison-for-doctor-who-50th-talks-i-dont-think-ill-play-part.html

Is it a double bluff or a triple bluff? I can't keep track anymore :)

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's not asked to be in it he's going to get together with some of the other Docs and do their own Multidoc miniepisode.

Video
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    If they're going to use old footage a la DS9's Trials And Tribbilations, they might need the actor's permission...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    If they're going to use old footage a la DS9's Trials And Tribbilations, they might need the actor's permission...

Is it technically possible to use archive footage though? I mean they would not only have to add colour to Hartnell and Troughton footage, but also make it HD and 3D!
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I also wondered how troughton ans hartnell can have colour added to their episodes plys its going to be played on cinema film?
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I also wondered how troughton ans hartnell can have colour added to their episodes plys its going to be played on cinema film?

Colourisation is actually p*ss easy, anyone good with photoshop and in possession of some half decent editing software can do it, it's just extremely time consuming (two full week's work per minute consuming).
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to believe a thing I read until I watch the special. Nobody is going to reveal whether or not they're appearing are they? That would be daft.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just cannot wait for season 7 so the focus is taken away from the anniversary special for a bit. With the lack of info and months or even years of discussion about what it might be I am almost getting speculation fatigue...
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems likely Davison will be involved in something this year, given Moffat's stated fondness for the Fifth Doctor. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, more doubtful I would think.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Archive footage?

3D special?

Does...Not...Compute.

Try again Peter! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally I'm in two minds about whether all the old docs should come back for the anniversary special but I can't help feeling that if they aren't coming back (which is looking likely seeing as they start shooting in eleven days) then the BBC would do well to announce that, otherwise there will be much bitching and moaning from some die-hard fans.

It would be great if they are all coming back and the BBC manage to keep it a secret (and they've told all these actors to basically lie through their teeth) but I don't see how because more things will start to leak as soon as filming begins.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    It would be great if they are all coming back and the BBC manage to keep it a secret (and they've told all these actors to basically lie through their teeth) but I don't see how because more things will start to leak as soon as filming begins.

They could keep things (fairly) secret if the older Doctors only appear on closed sets.

Or maybe they will use archive footage* but have the actors record new audio they would not even be on set then.

Have the Doctors appear in the TARDIS as Holograms (using archive footage) but then use new dialogue to fit into the story.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Maybe he is going to talk part in some kind of 'Talking Heads' programme for the 50th. Nowhere in the article does he state that he is in talks about the anniversary special ep, in fact he denies this. This could have also been what John Barrowman was on about too and the media are just misquoting the comments.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    They could keep things (fairly) secret if the older Doctors only appear on closed sets.

Or maybe they will use archive footage* but have the actors record new audio they would not even be on set then.

Have the Doctors appear in the TARDIS as Holograms (using archive footage) but then use new dialogue to fit into the story.

That's been my way of thinking for a while now and if it did happen that way I would be more than happy.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Mmm, interesting phrasing.

Davison's my least favourite Doctor but I still think he should be in the anniversary along with the other surviving Doctors though.
  • Options
    UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    If Tom Baker is not involved in the anniversary, I will don a disguise and hunt down and DESTROY the betrayers of the one true faith.
    Alternatively I might write a strongly worded letter to the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Tom Baker is not involved in the anniversary, I will don a disguise and hunt down and DESTROY the betrayers of the one true faith.
    Alternatively I might write a strongly worded letter to the BBC.

You know it's funny because I was thinking that so far Tom Baker is about the only person not to have said anything on the subject...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    You know it's funny because I was thinking that so far Tom Baker is about the only person not to have said anything on the subject...

He's too old really.... unless they can come up with a really good storyline for why he has aged.

Same with Colin Baker - he has no aged well. Of the available Doctors I only think Davison and McCoy are not real leaps of reality.

Additionally, McCoy was "old" when he regenerated so he is perhaps the only Doctor who wouldn't need some cover story for his appearance.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

Tom is so far removed from what we think of as the real universe that I'm not sure any messages would help us predict things. The BBC are doing a grand job of controlling the single, double and triple bluffing from relatively normal actors and perhaps they are wary of introducing a rogue Tom to the equation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And now we've heard via McCoy that neither he or Tom know anything either. Unless they have trained the actors to lie so well that they're actually telling fibs to each other now as well?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a465380/doctor-who-sylvester-mccoy-i-know-nothing-about-50th-anniversary.html

I think that only leaves McGann left now doesn't it?
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Triple bluff? Double bluff? Bluff? :confused:

Perhaps we are the paranoid ones with the problem and the actors are, ya know, telling the truth? :rolleyes:

I know. I know. I'm far too naïve...

;):D
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope that people still won't be insisting they're lying all the way up to November.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    I just hope that people still won't be insisting they're lying all the way up to November.

Not as much we'd all hoped you'd been banned forever
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as much we'd all hoped you'd been banned forever

Better luck next time.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now Peter Davison has met with the incoming EP for the anniversary special. But according to McCoy he still hasn't heard anything. Mhmmhmmhmmm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure, in a months time on location work for the special, Sylvester will insist that he is merely a tree and doesn't know anything about no Doctor Hook.

And come on, bringing Tom into the equation is what all of us do to get us off the hook.

"Did you scratch the car door with your keys?"

"No, I didn't. I spoke to Tom Baker an hour ago and apparently he didn't either. So no one did."

"My mistake."