Should it be up to Private Landlords to evict illegal tenants?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    There is always people out there who will create a way to make money out of it, dare say we will see lots for beds in sheds, so if the government know the people are not meant to be here why not just said the police or border control to the property so much easier, that way they can get rid of the people out of the uk. There is a very big buisness in black market **** in the uk. Should be a nice black market in fake IDs going on now in the uk.

That's the point, The Gov don't know!! so by bringing in this new policy they are trying to pressure bent Landlords who rent to non status "tenants"

Bent Landlords are not doing the correct checks because they know these people will fail and can then charge what they like for rubbish/un-safe bedsits etc, knowing they can get away with it because the tenant cannot go running to the courts/police etc.

Also the Landlord will be payed cash due to no tenancy agreement, so no "tax" will be payed and we all know the Gov don't like that!!

Plus how could a non-status "tenant" open any kind of Electric,Gas,Water account for said property?
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are illegal immigrants, then they should be forcibly removed by the police, and sent immediately to a detention centre until they are deported.

The landlord should not be involved in the removal at all.
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the point, The Gov don't know!! so by bringing in this new policy they are trying to pressure bent Landlords who rent to non status "tenants"

Bent Landlords are not doing the correct checks because they know these people will fail and can then charge what they like for rubbish/un-safe bedsits etc, knowing they can get away with it because the tenant cannot go running to the courts/police etc.

Also the Landlord will be payed cash due to no tenancy agreement, so no "tax" will be payed and we all know the Gov don't like that!!

Plus how could a non-status "tenant" open any kind of Electric,Gas,Water account for said property?

No doubt there are a lot of corrupt landlords, who know damn well they have illegal immigrants living in the their rental properties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt there are a lot of corrupt landlords, who know damn well they have illegal immigrants living in the their rental properties.

Exactly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are a legit Landlord and pay a small one off fee (around £70-£100) for a company/agent to do these simple checks on your behalf then you will have no problems.
    If the prospective tenant fails any-one of these checks then do not rent them "your" house/property!!!

Written verification of employment/income
    Reference from current landlord or letting agent
    Affordability calculation
    County Court Judgment (CCJ) Search
    Bankruptcy & Insolvency Data
    Residency & Address Confirmation
    Alias Name Search
    Linked Addresses located and searched
    ID Verification Checks
    Passport Number
    NI Number
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    It will just mean the added costs get passed onto tenants who are already paying ridiculous rental prices.

Property rental is a business, if you're renting to illegal tenants then why shouldn't you face the costs involved in eviction (in lieu of a fine).
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    In those circumstances they would have to act when the government informed them of a change in status.

This is a responsibility that you take on when you take the tax payers money.
    I did not take on the roll of being a grass or a government watchdog on immigration status.

Where I have had to evict tenants, ( not squatters), and thankfully that has been a rare occurrence it's been backed up with a court order.

This was generally for non-payment of rent being paid to us directly, ( and not via LAs or HAs ), and not a chance of any forth coming.

Even then once out of my hair the LA would provide temporary accommodation.

This is a completely different scenario and without a court order.

I took tax payers money in the form of rent but we provided the housing stock, ( all 407 of them ), when very few LLs would touch social housing,--you are saying tough cookie.

Once/if these measures are introduced, it will be on an informed playing field, it will be up to me to check and resolve.

I actually don't have that much of an issue of evicting illegal immigrant tenants in the circumstances this country finds it's self in, once legislation is in place.

I would rather have some one who had the right to stay to have a home.

But I have tenants going back 20 odd years who have kids.

Now I'm as sure as I can be there are no issues, but who knows and I'm being given the right, with notification but without a court order to evict those long term tenants should there be issues.

But you have linked me or any other legit LL taking tax payers money as if we are the the villains, we are in the wrong, it's our problem.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Well as far as i know, anyone can open a Electric,Gas,Water account without having to prove a thing.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A couple of things -

you dont have to have immigration status in the UK to open a utility account!!! What on earth makes you think that?

Secondly paying someone or for something in cash does not automatically mean that no tax is paid. Anyone who does or should file a tax return should declare all their income, whether that is paid in cash to them is neither here nor there.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    I did not take on the roll of being a grass or a government watchdog on immigration status..
    You're not expected to be, all you have to do is make sure any would be tenants of yours are legit by seeing valid proof of ID. - that's not being a govt watchdog at all.

When I applied for a mortgage my form of ID was photocopied and job done, no aggro for me or the lender - you just do the same.
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »

Secondly paying someone or for something in cash does not automatically mean that no tax is paid. Anyone who does or should file a tax return should declare all their income, whether that is paid in cash to them is neither here nor there.

The subject was bent landlords tim so a bent landlord would rather take cash to avoid tax if they wanted to so it is here or there.

He'd be stupid to declare income from an illegal anyway so cash it would be and the taxman none the wiser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    A couple of things -

you dont have to have immigration status in the UK to open a utility account!!! What on earth makes you think that?

Because you have to give your name, address, bank account details to set-up a Direct Debit.
    They will also ask you for meter readings from the date you took over occupancy.
    Your new "legit" Landlord/agent should also inform the utility suppliers the date and meter readings from when the previous tenants moved out.
    If only too make sure the Landlord is not left with any un-paid bills and can then return the deposit to the old tenant from the TDP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not expected to be, all you have to do is make sure any would be tenants of yours are legit by seeing valid proof of ID. - that's not being a govt watchdog at all.

When I applied for a mortgage my form of ID was photocopied and job done, no aggro for me or the lender - you just do the same.

But I will be and I didn't sign up for it.

Successive British Governments have allowed this issue to continue and continue.

What concerns me is it doesn't really resolve anything, simply moves the issue on.

So LLs give illegal tenants notice they have to leave due to their immigration status, what do you thing they are going to do? many will simply run,---after all they have been given a heads up.

They are rounded up, deported, many will try to return, some may have had a taste of the UK for a long time, many will have worked hard albeit illegally perhaps on fake papers long term but never caused an issue, they will loose every thing, the anger. the resentment, it is how terrorist are born.

More then anything my biggest concern about this proposed legislation is the amount of power it gives to bad LLs and the abuse that will follow.
    Forum Member
    But I will be and I didn't sign up for it.

Successive British Governments have allowed this issue to continue and continue.

What concerns me is it doesn't really resolve anything, simply moves the issue on.

So LLs give illegal tenants notice they have to leave due to their immigration status, what do you thing they are going to do? many will simply run,---after all they have been given a heads up.

That's not your problem is it.
    They are rounded up, deported, many will try to return, some may have had a taste of the UK for a long time, many will have worked hard albeit illegally perhaps on fake papers long term but never caused an issue, they will loose every thing, the anger. the resentment, it is how terrorist are born.

More then anything my biggest concern about this proposed legislation is the amount of power it gives to bad LLs and the abuse that will follow.

Again that isn't your problem, all you need to do as a landlord is have or show proof that you have not deliberately housed and illegal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Again that isn't your problem, all you need to do as a landlord is have or show proof that you have not deliberately housed and illegal.
    You make my point, none of it is my problem but LLs may be forced to address other peoples.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you have to give your name, address, bank account details to set-up a Direct Debit.
    They will also ask you for meter readings from the date you took over occupancy.
    Your new "legit" Landlord/agent should also inform the utility suppliers the date and meter readings from when the previous tenants moved out.
    If only too make sure the Landlord is not left with any un-paid bills and can then return the deposit to the old tenant from the TDP

And how would immigration status affect all of that? You still have a name, address, meter readings etc. And its for you, not the landlord to inform the utility suppliers .
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member

The proposal is similar to that for lorry drivers with illegals in the back - they get fined regardless of whether they knew they were in the back or not.

So you could get fined or jailed because you didn't receive a letter from the Home Office saying your tenant's visa was about to expire therefore you should chuck them on the street
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

i have prepayment meters, all i had to do was ring them, no bank details or proofs.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The subject was bent landlords tim so a bent landlord would rather take cash to avoid tax if they wanted to so it is here or there.

He'd be stupid to declare income from an illegal anyway so cash it would be and the taxman none the wiser.

Rogue landlords will continue to get away with housing illegals paying cash in hand, since nobody will ever find out, or it's very unlikely they will.

It'll be the decent landlords and letting agents who will be clobbered for the odd genuine mistake.

I still wonder where the legal responsibility will lie between landlord and letting agent. For example, if the agent doesn't do their job properly, will it be them or the landlord, who get prosecuted? Or both?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the Landlords and the Lorry Drivers should get together to form a Provisional Government to deal with the migrant crisis ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proposal is similar to that for lorry drivers with illegals in the back - they get fined regardless of whether they knew they were in the back or not.

So you could get fined or jailed because you didn't receive a letter from the Home Office saying your tenant's visa was about to expire therefore you should chuck them on the street
    I think you will find exlordlucan shot them selves in the foot as they were expected to,---given a few posts.

And I agree with you, the proposals may clobber innocent LLs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This policy is about people whose immigration status changes while they are already accommodated. There is nothing illegal, bent or corrupt about renting to someone whose immigration/ asylum status is being dealt with at the time of letting. If it is subsequently refused, the prior policy is that they remain where they are until they are arrested and deported. The government wants to offload a troublesome responsibility and look tough by pretending that once an application has been refused, landlords are then responsible for making the person disappear at no trouble or expense to the border agency. It is idiotic. If a failed applicant with children is evicted, they really do have to live somewhere until they are actually out of the uk. Telling landlords that they must physically boot someone out with all their possessions in binbags is one of the stupidest policies I have ever heard. Even if we are talking about failed applicants with no children, who is any better off if they are on the streets where they have to be found, instead of at a registered address, where the border agency can find them?
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This policy is about people whose immigration status changes while they are already accommodated. There is nothing illegal, bent or corrupt about renting to someone whose immigration/ asylum status is being dealt with at the time of letting. If it is subsequently refused, the prior policy is that they remain where they are until they are arrested and deported.
    The government wants to offload a troublesome responsibility and look tough by pretending that once an application has been refused, landlords are then responsible for making the person disappear at no trouble or expense to the border agency. It is idiotic. If a failed applicant with children is evicted, they really do have to live somewhere until they are actually out of the uk. Telling landlords that they must physically boot someone out with all their possessions in binbags is one of the stupidest policies I have ever heard. Even if we are talking about failed applicants with no children, who is any better off if they are on the streets where they have to be found, instead of at a registered address, where the border agency can find them?

That's the crux of the issue.